Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Things Getting Ugly in Tallahassee

Re: Things Getting Ugly in Tallahassee

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    A man's name was dragged through the mud and he was forced to confront public accusation that he was a rapist for months only to now get the word that the D.A. felt there wasn't sufficient evidence to prosecute.
    He could have made a statement of innocence at any time, if he cared about public perception. He could have also agreed to cooperate with police, if he cared about speeding up the process. Finally, Willie Meggs didn't declare Winston innocent. His office determined it was inconclusive. Anyone concluding otherwise is ignoring everything that was said today.

This kid is going to end up with a Heisman Trophy, probably a national championship and will forever be a hero in Florida. The accuser has already had to withdraw from school and will likely have to move out of state. Sorry if I'm not feeling too bad for Jameis Winston right now.

2. Likes:

traderumor (12-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, whatever went on, I don't think it was exactly wholesome.

Alcohol and hormones and inexperience and stupidity and youth are all not a very good combination. I got a lot of stories from when I was 18-21 that I cringe at now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

A man's name was dragged through the mud and he was forced to confront public accusation that he was a rapist for months only to now get the word that the D.A. felt there wasn't sufficient evidence to prosecute.

Yeah, I don't see how you can't feel sympathy with a man having to deal with that -- especially if this (as has been suggested in reports by witnesses) was a "buyers remorse" rape allegation.
    At least he got a big presser saying he wasn't going to be charged. We had a guy up here who was accused of a hit and run severely injuring a 4 year old in a school zone. For a week his name was splashed all over the papers and tv news. Later it turns out it was a case of mistaken identity. Did he get a big presser saying he wasn't going to be charged? Nope. Brief mention in the paper.

Somehow I suspect that the PR people are already spinning this to enhance his stature. I'd be willing to bet we see ESPN and the other networks will air pieces on Winston before the BCS Championship game going on about his struggle to overcome adversity.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Yeah, I don't see how you can't feel sympathy with a man having to deal with that -- especially if this (as has been suggested in reports by witnesses) was a "buyers remorse" rape allegation.
    Now why would I have sympathy for unmarried college students having sex and it ending up being a national story? If you don't want to be a news story, don't sleep around. If you don't want to pay half a million a year in child support, don't sleep around. At least that's what I'd be telling these young men if I were their coach.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    He could have made a statement of innocence at any time, if he cared about public perception. He could have also agreed to cooperate with police, if he cared about speeding up the process. Finally, Willie Meggs didn't declare Winston innocent. His office determined it was inconclusive. Anyone concluding otherwise is ignoring everything that was said today.

This kid is going to end up with a Heisman Trophy, probably a national championship and will forever be a hero in Florida. The accuser has already had to withdraw from school and will likely have to move out of state. Sorry if I'm not feeling too bad for Jameis Winston right now.
    He did cooperate with police. He just was very smart and did what any citizen should do- he talked to the police through his lawyer.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What basis could you possibly have for this? This is a horrible accusation. I'm not saying it's not possible, but to just throw it out there without any basis for it is pretty bad, IMO.

I'm not suggesting I believe she was raped. But unless you know more than what's being reported, I don't see how it's possible to make a determination either way. And to assume this particular individual would fabricate a rape, got to the hospital, go the the police, etc... all for financial gain (for someone who isn't even rich yet) is pretty low, IMO.

I think it would be equally poor form to assume that Winston is guilty. If we learn more in the coming days, then maybe conclusions can be drawn. But as of now, I don't see how you could reach one.
    Is it any more horrible to suggest that the Tallahassee PD is giving Winston special treatment? Because that seems to be the theme in this thread.

Jameis Winston= Guilty until proven innocent. I think people want to see a star athlete fall, as long as they don't wear Scarlet & Gray.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Is it any more horrible to suggest that the Tallahassee PD is giving Winston special treatment? Because that seems to be the theme in this thread.

Jameis Winston= Guilty until proven innocent. I think people want to see a star athlete fall, as long as they don't wear Scarlet & Gray.
    I don't want to see any of them fall because they are athletes. I want to see them fall IF they are guilty.

10. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-05-2013),The Operator (12-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He did cooperate with police. He just was very smart and did what any citizen should do- he talked to the police through his lawyer.
    Of course he lawyered up, as anyone in his position would do (given they have the money). That in no way is the same thing as him fully cooperating with the investigation.

I don't see this as a guilty until proven innocent situation at all. This was an inconclusive until proven otherwise case. I do think he was definitely given preferential treatment compared to how the average Joe off the streets of Tallahassee would have been treated. Watching the police chief smile and giggle his way through the presser today spoke volumes. He came across as more an FSU cheerleader than an officer who'd poorly investigated a rape charge.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't want to see any of them fall because they are athletes. I want to see them fall IF they are guilty.
    As do I but I kinda wonder how the discussion would be going if it was "Insert Buckeye Here".

Winston isn't going to be charged so it basically goes back to being a witch hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

What does one have to do with the other?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

As do I but I kinda wonder how the discussion would be going if it was "Insert Buckeye Here".

Winston isn't going to be charged so it basically goes back to being a witch hunt.
    I don't know about that. I seem to remember when Maurice Clarett had problems at Ohio State, a lot of Buckeye fans weren't happy with him and were glad to be done with him when he tried to jump to the NFL early. Note also that Carlos Hyde was suspended for 3 games even though he was never charged with assault, yet nobody was talking about a witch hunt there.

There will always be fans of sports teams who will do anything to rationalize the behavior of their favorite players. But if you keep trying to hold up athletes as heroes, you're bound to be disappointed.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

16. Likes:

jimbo (12-06-2013),traderumor (12-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Of course he lawyered up, as anyone in his position would do (given they have the money). That in no way is the same thing as him fully cooperating with the investigation.
    Please provide proof that he didn't cooperate fully with the police.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'd lawyer up if I were completely innocent and being accused of such a thing. Hell, I'd lawyer up especially if I were innocent. But that's just me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Please provide proof that he didn't cooperate fully with the police.
    In the presser today, didn't Meggs clearly state they wanted to interview Winston, but he declined? That doesn't sound like full cooperation to me. If he's not Jameis Winston, no way this plays out the same way. The result likely would have been the same, but the handling of it? No chance.

Turn Off Ads?