Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto Foundation for Veterans

Votto Foundation for Veterans

I don't see that this has been posted here. Votto has a foundation to assist Veterans esp those with PTSD. He is having an upcoming benefit in Montgomery Ohio.

http://www.canadianbaseballnetwork.c...it-night-ptsd/
    Titled the Joey Votto Foundation Benefit Night, the event will feature live and silent auctions where donors can bid on items such as jersey autographed by retired New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, a ball signed by Hall of Famer Ted Williams, a trip for two to Los Angeles to meet Dodgers Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully, and a 45-minute coaching session — led by Votto himself — for the winner’s child’s baseball team.

“The goal is to try to raise money, raise awareness and provide potential donors with peace of mind about where their dollar is going and what my role is,” Votto said. “I hope to convey to people that I truly believe in this.”

The foundation’s website states that all proceeds from the event will benefit soldiers, veterans, and military families affected by PTSD.
    Along with the auctions, the event will feature a question and answer period with Votto and his teammate, right-fielder Jay Bruce.

Votto says he expects several of the Reds to show up, but he’s especially grateful to have Bruce involved in his foundation’s first big night.
    “I’ll be very honoured to have any of them there, but Jay and I have had a long relationship,” Votto said. “We’ve traversed the minor league terrain together, played in all-star games together, gone to the playoffs together, and watched each other have big moments.
    “We have a good relationship and it’s one that’s real. We interact both on and off the field and him wanting to come to the event means a tremendous amount to me.”
    Last edited by klw; 11-22-2013 at 03:35 PM.

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-05-2013), Boss-Hog (11-22-2013), cumberlandreds (12-05-2013), Degenerate39 (12-05-2013), Driver62 (11-23-2013), HeatherC1212 (12-05-2013), KittyDuran (11-22-2013), NebraskaRed (12-05-2013), PepperJack (11-22-2013), RANDY IN INDY (11-22-2013), RedEye (12-05-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (11-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto Foundation for Veterans

I posted here:http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=38

I do think it deserves it's own thread so more people can see it though.

I like the words he says about him and Bruce. I think we all see the bond they have, but this talks about how deep it runs.

He also went to Texas to support Bruce's charity work for special needs children a week ago.

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-05-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

The relationship I see with Joey and Jay vividly reminds me of the one I saw for years in Bagwell and Biggio. Two players at the top of their game who are very close friends and lead their teams with their actions and with their class. I'd love to see both of them finish their careers in Cincy uni's.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

7. Likes:

Driver62 (11-23-2013), HeatherC1212 (12-05-2013), justincredible (12-05-2013), KittyDuran (11-22-2013), Larkin Fan (11-22-2013), Number_Fourteen (11-23-2013), PepperJack (11-22-2013), RANDY IN INDY (11-22-2013), reds1869 (11-22-2013), TRF (12-05-2013)

Just bumping this thread because the benefit that Votto is having is tonight, so there may be a story or information to come out later about the event.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I wish I could have gone to this event tonight but by the time I heard about it, there were no tickets available. I hope things go well though and hopefully we hear more about it at Redsfest this weekend. I love the awesome friendship between Joey and Jay!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ss-conference/

Joey Votto is officially launching the Joey Votto Foundation with a benefit at Green Diamond Gallery in Montgomery. Watch live video of Votto’s press conference at 4 p.m.

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-05-2013)

The press conference is about to go live for those interested.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...n-for-Enquirer

Wow! Worth the read.

Reds first baseman Joey Votto, who just announced his new foundation on Thursday, details more about what he is trying to accomplish in an exclusive column for the Enquirer.

I still remember the images of the burning buildings on 9/11. As my father and I sat in front of our television, he looked at me and said, “If we go to war, you may have to go.” At 18 years old and one day, it was at that moment I realized the personal impact of the sacrifices made by those who serve.

For more than a dozen years, many in the military have been deployed for long periods of time in combat zones, enduring hostile conditions most of us cannot fathom. Some of these brave men and women come home with physical injuries, but many more return to our communities with unseen injuries that can be just as debilitating.

Although neither I nor anyone in my family has served, I do know what it feels like to suffer from panic attacks, depression and emotional struggles after a life-changing event.

In 2008, during my second year in the majors, my father passed away suddenly. My grief led to overwhelming panic attacks and bouts of depression that landed me on the disabled list due to stress the following season.

I received much needed and very effective treatment.

Without it, I am not sure where I would be today.

I launched the Joey Votto Foundation to bring hope to those in Cincinnati and my native Toronto who sacrificed for us and now need our assistance. The foundation’s initial emphasis will be two-fold:

There are more details about the foundation’s mission and objectives than I can describe here, but you can learn more at VottoFoundation.org. My hope is that everyone who reads this column or visits the site will reflect on the fact that there are heroes walking among us who need our help.

They did their part for us; it’s now time for us to go to bat for them.

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-06-2013), mth123 (12-06-2013), UKFlounder (12-05-2013)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

CINCINNATI -- Even though he is a ballplayer fortunate enough to have a lucrative contract, Joey Votto knew he couldn't help solve all of the problems in the community or just one that's as vast as mental health issues.

The Reds first baseman publicly launched the Joey Votto Foundation on Thursday with a clear vision -- to help military veterans and active service members in Cincinnati and his hometown of Toronto who cope with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

One of the foundation programs will be called the Joey Votto family military stress disorders program and will work with the University of Cincinnati. It will offer services for active duty soldiers, those in the reserves, National Guard and also group care, family care and child care. The goal is provide care for approximately 500 new patients for about 4,000 therapy sessions each year.

"It's critical we provide care," said Dr. Kathleen Chard, the director of the trauma recovery center at the Cincinnati Veterans Affairs Hospital. "In the city of Cincinnati and Tri-State Area, we have outstanding care at the Cincinnati VA. Unfortunately, if you're a veteran that chooses not to go to the VA or is perhaps ineligible for the VA, there are no other options. It's absolutely important that we provide these services for our active duty, reserve and guard that want the care they need and deserve and have no way to get it."

The foundation's annual operating budget for 2013 was $400,000, with all of its expenses underwritten by Votto. That meant 100 percent of all money raised on Thursday was going directly to the programs that help the vets with PTSD.

"Starting it with a bang gives us a chance to raise funds and catapult the foundation and make that commitment to Dr. Chard's UC program," Votto said.

In April 2012, Votto signed a 10-year, $225 million contract extension that essentially meant he would play his entire career with the Reds. He wanted to honor that commitment with a personal one of his own.

"I'm Canadian. But I also work here in Cincinnati," Votto said. "I have a home here. I'm everyone's neighbor. I'm a ballplayer that takes a lot of pride in the city that drafted me and signed me for my entire career. I'm committed to this city. I have a house. I'm not going anywhere. I don't plan on going anywhere. I want to be here. I want to help out -- both American and Canadian returning veterans.

"If we help out one person, one family and one neighborhood and one small community -- we'll start small and work from there. We're trying to do our best to provide genuine help. During my experience in 2009, I received treatment and I saw the benefit. … I've been so lucky. I've received support in my life. I want to let people know I am part of the community and the community helps one another."

16. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-06-2013), UKFlounder (12-05-2013)

18. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-06-2013), Red in Chicago (12-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?