Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

  1. #1
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,791

    Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...an-mccann.html

    Looks like 85 million guaranteed over 5 years and a 6th year vesting option pushing it over 100 million guaranteed. Do. Not. Like.

    In this thread, we argued respectfully over whether it would be worth it for the Reds to pay him "slightly less than" 12 million per year over 4 years or so. I didn't like him at that much, and I hate him for this much.

    The Yankees can afford to make a few mistakes, and this will almost certainly be one of them. Per usual, the high-end free agents are a really bad buy.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...an-mccann.html

    Looks like 85 million guaranteed over 5 years and a 6th year vesting option pushing it over 100 million guaranteed. Do. Not. Like.

    In this thread, we argued respectfully over whether it would be worth it for the Reds to pay him "slightly less than" 12 million per year over 4 years or so. I didn't like him at that much, and I hate him for this much.

    The Yankees can afford to make a few mistakes, and this will almost certainly be one of them. Per usual, the high-end free agents are a really bad buy.
    This contract is not a bad buy.

    The Yankees understand that they need to give a premier hitting catcher a longer deal to get him.

    But they don't care too much because (1) He is perfectly suited as a DH in Yankee Stadium and (2) They know his last year or two is a gamble.

    These teams give an extra year or two to get the player. They don't expect much in those years. The objective here is probably three very good years with McCann as catcher, hitter, and then DH. Anything more is gravy.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,559

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...an-mccann.html

    Looks like 85 million guaranteed over 5 years and a 6th year vesting option pushing it over 100 million guaranteed. Do. Not. Like.
    It's $85M guaranteed. The vesting option is not "guaranteed" by definition.

  5. #4
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,955

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    I'm guessing from this and the Peralta rumors that Choo gets $100M and Cano gets close to $300M.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  6. #5
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,791

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It's $85M guaranteed. The vesting option is not "guaranteed" by definition.
    you are correct. poor choice of words on my part.

    Even for the Yankees, I hate the contract. If we're thinking that the Yanks are paying him for 3 years of productivity, then I say it's dumb to pay Brian McCann roughly $85 million for 3 years of productivity. Look at Johnny Bench age 30-35. That's about the best you can expect from him (very good to elite for 3 years, then somewhere between crap and below average thereafter). Even Johnny Bench was not worth $28+ million/year in 2014 dollars in his 1978-1980 seasons.

    People think the Yankees have an unlimited budget, but it sure didn't seem like it last year. I'll believe they have an unlimited budget when they sign ALL the big free agents. They can use all of them... Cano, Choo, Ellsbury, Tanaka.... Why not sign Carlos Ruiz, pay him half as much for only a couple years, and then have the $$$ to sign an extra one of those other top guys?
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    You will get 3 years of productivity at catcher but I think they can get another 1 or 2 at 1B/DH. Teixeira's contract will be up, A-Rod will only have 1 year left (if he's not retired or suspended) and Jeter will be retired.

    They certainly overpaid, but don't you always with free agents?

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    532

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    Overpay. Oh we'll.

  9. #8
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,791

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You will get 3 years of productivity at catcher but I think they can get another 1 or 2 at 1B/DH. Teixeira's contract will be up, A-Rod will only have 1 year left (if he's not retired or suspended) and Jeter will be retired.

    They certainly overpaid, but don't you always with free agents?
    He'd be one of the worst hitting 1B/DHs in the league if he played those positions today at age 29. How worthless will he be at 1B/DH in 4 years? We're not talking a guy who hits like Posey or even Mauer.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  10. Likes:

    joshua (11-24-2013)

  11. #9
    Member joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,030

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    The Yankees paid $85 million for a guy who hit 256/.336/.461 this year and .230/.300/.399. And this guy will eventually be their DH.

    If the Red Sox got flack for giving Ortiz the deal he has, the Yankees should be absolutely crucified.

    Makes me wonder what kind of astronomical offers Choo and Beltran will get from them.

  12. #10
    Member joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,030

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    Deleting. Double posted because I'm a sober genius.
    Last edited by joshua; 11-24-2013 at 01:52 AM.

  13. #11
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Deleting. Double posted because I'm a sober genius.
    Forgiven and you nailed it. Stupidity of owners are killing baseball.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  14. #12
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,071

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    About 5-6 fewer big flies at GABP next season.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    He'd be one of the worst hitting 1B/DHs in the league if he played those positions today at age 29. How worthless will he be at 1B/DH in 4 years? We're not talking a guy who hits like Posey or even Mauer.
    I disagree with your first assertion. With his .796 OPS last season, he would have finished 3rd among DHs (in the AL) and 11th (Overall) among 1B. But who knows, with as terrible as their DH situation was last year, they may be able to find a way to DH him for 60 games or so a year and squeeze another year of catcher production out of him.

    I don't think he needs to hit like the best 2 hitting catchers in the game to be "productive" in 4 years. Is he going to be one of the top 1B/DH hitters in the league in 4 years? Certainly not. Will he be worthless? I don't believe so.

  16. #14
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,955

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I disagree with your first assertion. With his .796 OPS last season, he would have finished 3rd among DHs (in the AL) and 11th (Overall) among 1B. But who knows, with as terrible as their DH situation was last year, they may be able to find a way to DH him for 60 games or so a year and squeeze another year of catcher production out of him.

    I don't think he needs to hit like the best 2 hitting catchers in the game to be "productive" in 4 years. Is he going to be one of the top 1B/DH hitters in the league in 4 years? Certainly not. Will he be worthless? I don't believe so.
    How many average DH and 1B are making $17M a year?
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  17. #15
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,860

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

    I'm not disgusted by the deal, it's what I figured. It's rare when a big name FA gets less $ than what production they are expected to provide.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25