Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will the Reds trade? If anyone.

Who will the Reds trade? If anyone.

The Reds reportedly aren't shopping Phillips any more.

They just announced a Bailey bobble head night honoring his no-hitters.

There aren't many very attractive minor leaguers. Doubt they trade Stephenson or Hamilton.

Some people say Aroldis Chapman. I just find this hard to believe. Great arm, Price now in charge, don't see them trading him. IMO.

I guess Leake is a possibility, but with the injuries to pitchers last season tough to see.

What is the currency for a substantial addition on offense? Doesn't seem like too much cash is available for big time free agent.

Starting to wonder how the Reds manage to keep the offense afloat. Hope some of you know the answer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will the Reds trade? If anyone.

I think other than a Veteran outfielder or something we are looking at our 2014 Reds.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Reds will trade nobody.

Instead they'll move back the infield. That will allow more of those infield popups to fall for base hits, thus negating the loss of Choo.

They'll also be installing a retractable fence. They heard about the Nationals desire for a retractable roof and then the ideas just started flowing. The new GABP retractable fence will raise or lower depending upon weather conditions...you know, like "weather" or not a fly-ball pitcher is on the mound or "weather" we're playing the Astros or not.

5. Likes:

cincyinco (12-04-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (12-04-2013)

Well I think the answer is going to have to be a combination of this:
    1. Mesoraco will produce when he can play everyday
    2. Signs of life we started seeing in Cozart will continue
    3. Ludwick will improve production we got from left field last year
    4. Frazier will improve and be close to .800
    5. Votto will look more like 2010 than 2013
    6. Phillips will be healthy and that translates into a better OPS than .710 or whatever he had last year
    7. Heisey and Skip will platoon and be adequate in CF until Hamilton can be eased in. (Here's the one spot where OPS is a significant drop from 2013 but maybe not as bad as Stubbs was)
    8. Pitching improves with more Chapman innings (he's a starter now), full year of Cueto, Latos without bone chips, Homer pitching for his next contract, all of which takes pressure off the O.

I know. Hope is not a strategy. But that's the best I've got.

Ryan Hanigan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

8. Likes:

AmarilloRed (12-04-2013),Raisor (12-04-2013),Rojo (12-04-2013)

Can't be status quo.

I'm fine not trading Phillips, if that's what they've decided. In fact I'm happy with the decision. However, something material needs to change. If the Reds go into 2014 with Ludwick in LF, Hamilton/Heisey in CF, and no change in the infield, that will not be acceptable.

I think Walt still has at least one big move up his sleeve. Whether that's trading Chapman, Bailey, Leake, Cozart, someone else, minor leaguers, or just a big signing - someone the magnitude of Choo, Beltran or Granderson - I expect something to happen, likely in the next 4-6 weeks.

If I had to guess, I'd guess one signing and/or a trade of prospects, including one or more of the OF prospects.
    Go BLUE!!!

10. Likes:

VottoFan54 (12-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Can't be status quo.

I'm fine not trading Phillips, if that's what they've decided. In fact I'm happy with the decision. However, something material needs to change. If the Reds go into 2014 with Ludwick in LF, Hamilton/Heisey in CF, and no change in the infield, that will not be acceptable.
    "Like" this part.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think Walt still has at least one big move up his sleeve. Whether that's trading Chapman, Bailey, Leake, Cozart, someone else, minor leaguers, or just a big signing - someone the magnitude of Choo, Beltran or Granderson - I expect something to happen, likely in the next 4-6 weeks.

If I had to guess, I'd guess one signing and/or a trade of prospects, including one or more of the OF prospects.
    I hope I can give you a "like" on this part.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

My earlier one was a joke (I thought it was obvious).

Seriously, I think if the Reds decide to make a big splash in a trade...it'll be with Cueto. But this is only if they're reasonably sure they have a few things first.

1. They can extend Homer.
    2. Chapman is moving into the rotation.
    3. They're fairly sure Stephenson will be ready soon.
    4. The return is right.

The only change to this is if they're fairly certain that they CAN'T extend Homer. If that's the case, I think he'll be the one dealt....if 2, 3, and 4 are all "yes" 's.

13. Likes:

herbdizzle (12-04-2013),Old school 1983 (12-04-2013)

I don't think there is another big move coming. They might add a guy who can step in to CF and do a capable job, but even that is hardly a certainty.

Otherwise, there are no "easy" upgrades and I just don't see Walt doing a slobberknocker in which current starters are sent packing or pushed to the bench.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm a lot less sure of a move happening than I was a few weeks ago. I kind of get the impression that Bob won't back down and rebuild for a year, but also won't raise the payroll to the level it would take to sign someone big.

This puts you in a hard position if you're Walt. To me, standing pat is the worst decision. I would either do a quick rebuild and move Bailey, Leake and Phillips for prospects or I would go all in.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I see Hamilton being traded. I can see an argument for him being as finished as he will be after 2,300+ plate appearances and a .651 OPS in AAA. Not saying I agree with it 100% but he is exciting. Owners want exciting and the Reds could take the rewards for it.

Walt is apparently saying BP is staying in town and Chapman is staying in the pen. So that all but excludes any starting pitching from being moved and doesn't leave much in the way of position players, either.

Where did he say Chapman was staying in the pen?
    Go BLUE!!!

I will predict that the Reds will trade Homer Bailey. Getting an MLB ready lefty to stash at AAA seems like a precursor to that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Jocketty talks Phillips, Chapman

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty appeared on MLB Network Radio with host Chris Russo on Wednesday and seemed to put to bed the trade rumors involving Brandon Phillips.

“I told him we are not in any talks to trade him,” Jocketty said. “I’m not saying we wouldn’t trade him but I told him we’re a better team with him here.”

Late Tuesday night, Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported from a Major League source that the Reds were unlikely to trade Phillips this winter.

Jocketty was also asked about Aroldis Chapman’s status for 2014 — starting pitcher or closer?

“We feel we have the depth in our rotation now that we can continue to keep him in the bullpen,” Jocketty said. “That’s probably the plan going into Spring Training. We’ll have him prepare for Spring Training like he has in the past. He’ll come in and pitch a lot of innings in Spring Training so he could go either way. In all likelihood when we get to Spring Training, we’ll make a decision. I would think he’ll continue to be our closer.”
    I guess he leaves the door open very, very slightly on Chapman.

21. Likes:

Benihana (12-04-2013),XU Lou (12-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?