Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Yankees to sign Brian McCann

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...an-mccann.html

Looks like 85 million guaranteed over 5 years and a 6th year vesting option pushing it over 100 million guaranteed. Do. Not. Like.

In this thread, we argued respectfully over whether it would be worth it for the Reds to pay him "slightly less than" 12 million per year over 4 years or so. I didn't like him at that much, and I hate him for this much.

The Yankees can afford to make a few mistakes, and this will almost certainly be one of them. Per usual, the high-end free agents are a really bad buy.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

Looks like 85 million guaranteed over 5 years and a 6th year vesting option pushing it over 100 million guaranteed. Do. Not. Like.

In this thread, we argued respectfully over whether it would be worth it for the Reds to pay him "slightly less than" 12 million per year over 4 years or so. I didn't like him at that much, and I hate him for this much.

The Yankees can afford to make a few mistakes, and this will almost certainly be one of them. Per usual, the high-end free agents are a really bad buy.
    This contract is not a bad buy.

The Yankees understand that they need to give a premier hitting catcher a longer deal to get him.

But they don't care too much because (1) He is perfectly suited as a DH in Yankee Stadium and (2) They know his last year or two is a gamble.

These teams give an extra year or two to get the player. They don't expect much in those years. The objective here is probably three very good years with McCann as catcher, hitter, and then DH. Anything more is gravy.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It's $85M guaranteed. The vesting option is not "guaranteed" by definition.

I'm guessing from this and the Peralta rumors that Choo gets $100M and Cano gets close to $300M.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It's $85M guaranteed. The vesting option is not "guaranteed" by definition.
    you are correct. poor choice of words on my part.

Even for the Yankees, I hate the contract. If we're thinking that the Yanks are paying him for 3 years of productivity, then I say it's dumb to pay Brian McCann roughly $85 million for 3 years of productivity. Look at Johnny Bench age 30-35. That's about the best you can expect from him (very good to elite for 3 years, then somewhere between crap and below average thereafter). Even Johnny Bench was not worth $28+ million/year in 2014 dollars in his 1978-1980 seasons.

People think the Yankees have an unlimited budget, but it sure didn't seem like it last year. I'll believe they have an unlimited budget when they sign ALL the big free agents. They can use all of them... Cano, Choo, Ellsbury, Tanaka.... Why not sign Carlos Ruiz, pay him half as much for only a couple years, and then have the $$$ to sign an extra one of those other top guys?
    Stick to your guns.

You will get 3 years of productivity at catcher but I think they can get another 1 or 2 at 1B/DH. Teixeira's contract will be up, A-Rod will only have 1 year left (if he's not retired or suspended) and Jeter will be retired.

They certainly overpaid, but don't you always with free agents?

Overpay. Oh we'll.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You will get 3 years of productivity at catcher but I think they can get another 1 or 2 at 1B/DH. Teixeira's contract will be up, A-Rod will only have 1 year left (if he's not retired or suspended) and Jeter will be retired.

They certainly overpaid, but don't you always with free agents?
    He'd be one of the worst hitting 1B/DHs in the league if he played those positions today at age 29. How worthless will he be at 1B/DH in 4 years? We're not talking a guy who hits like Posey or even Mauer.
    Stick to your guns.

10. Likes:

joshua (11-24-2013)

The Yankees paid $85 million for a guy who hit 256/.336/.461 this year and .230/.300/.399. And this guy will eventually be their DH.

If the Red Sox got flack for giving Ortiz the deal he has, the Yankees should be absolutely crucified.

Makes me wonder what kind of astronomical offers Choo and Beltran will get from them.

Deleting. Double posted because I'm a sober genius.
    Last edited by joshua; 11-24-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Deleting. Double posted because I'm a sober genius.
    Forgiven and you nailed it. Stupidity of owners are killing baseball.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

About 5-6 fewer big flies at GABP next season.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

He'd be one of the worst hitting 1B/DHs in the league if he played those positions today at age 29. How worthless will he be at 1B/DH in 4 years? We're not talking a guy who hits like Posey or even Mauer.
    I disagree with your first assertion. With his .796 OPS last season, he would have finished 3rd among DHs (in the AL) and 11th (Overall) among 1B. But who knows, with as terrible as their DH situation was last year, they may be able to find a way to DH him for 60 games or so a year and squeeze another year of catcher production out of him.

I don't think he needs to hit like the best 2 hitting catchers in the game to be "productive" in 4 years. Is he going to be one of the top 1B/DH hitters in the league in 4 years? Certainly not. Will he be worthless? I don't believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I disagree with your first assertion. With his .796 OPS last season, he would have finished 3rd among DHs (in the AL) and 11th (Overall) among 1B. But who knows, with as terrible as their DH situation was last year, they may be able to find a way to DH him for 60 games or so a year and squeeze another year of catcher production out of him.

I don't think he needs to hit like the best 2 hitting catchers in the game to be "productive" in 4 years. Is he going to be one of the top 1B/DH hitters in the league in 4 years? Certainly not. Will he be worthless? I don't believe so.
    How many average DH and 1B are making $17M a year?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'm not disgusted by the deal, it's what I figured. It's rare when a big name FA gets less $ than what production they are expected to provide.

Turn Off Ads?