Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

Re: Yankees to sign Brian McCann

Bad deal that will look worse year by year. By the end of this deal he'll be just another bloated, DL residing, bad contract.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Forgiven and you nailed it. Stupidity of owners are killing baseball.
    I don't think the stupidity of an owner as shown by giving out a bad contract hurts baseball. It may hurt their team but it does not hurt baseball.

4. Likes:

RadfordVA (12-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    yIf we're thinking that the Yanks are paying him for 3 years of productivity, then I say it's dumb to pay Brian McCann roughly $85 million for 3 years of productivity.
    Why? The Yankees are filthy rich. McCann is the best power hitting catcher in the business. If they get three years of his .277/.350/.473 norm then I suspect they'll be thrilled. They can eat the back years of that contract if need be. Though, if they get three solid years out of him, then they'll get at least a little something out of the other two.

If you're the Yankees, you pretty much always should pay an extra year in order to secure the high end talent in the market.

As an aside, the average DH in MLB had a .245/.314/.401 line. Yankees DHs posted a .583 OPS last season. He's not going to be a regular DH any time soon, but even if he was he'd have had put the Yankees second in the AL for OPS from the DH position last season. Yankee catchers had a .587 OPS last season. McCann is a mega forklift upgrade for that team.
    Last edited by M2; 11-24-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-25-2013),osuceltic (11-24-2013),REDREAD (11-25-2013)

One thing to remember is that the Yankees have a ton of long term payroll flexibility.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ligations.html
    Sitting there amongst several clubs that have cleared out payroll or traditionally carry salaries below the top of the market, one finds two of baseball's most powerful organizations: the Yankees and Red Sox. Both have substantially less in total future comments than they have shown the capacity and willingness to spend in a single season. In other words, these two AL East powerhouses have plenty of room to backload deals. (For the Yanks, the luxury tax could still pose a challenge in the immediate term, though the club's relatively clear future ledger could help them dip under the line for a year to reset its tax hit.) That is probably good news for players hitting free agency this year and next.
    Also
    Viewed this way, the Reds and Giants have perhaps extended themselves even more than the other larger-payroll clubs near the top of the list. The risk those clubs have taken is fairly substantial, particularly since much of their down-the-line cash is dedicated to just a few big-budget players like Joey Votto and Buster Posey. Much the same holds for the Rays, who have made a sizeable commitment to Evan Longoria; though he profiles as a substantial value, there is no question that his nine-figure contract carries extra risk to Tampa. (Compare Tampa's current balance sheet with that of the A's. It will be interesting to see whether the latter begin to add down-the-line commitments over the coming offseason.)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If they get three years of his .277/.350/.473 norm then I suspect they'll be thrilled.
    But I consider that highly unlikely. The last two years, he's hit 256/.336/.461 and .230/.300/.399, and now despite the short porch in right he's headed to a division with pitching that, aside from Toronto (and his new team), I expect to be quite good. I think we're looking at a slugging percentage under .400 under the life of the contract and a line of around .250/.330/.440 next year.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    think we're looking at a slugging percentage under .400 under the life of the contract and a line of around .250/.330/.440 next year.
    He'd have to hit sub-Mendoza in order to SLG below .400. That's not going to happen, especially for the life of his contract. Even if you're right about his line for next season (I'd guess higher b/c his injury-riddled 2012 ought to be tossed when you're making projections), that would make him one of the most productive catchers in baseball (only three AL teams got higher OPSes from the catchers in 2013), and he'd still be wildly better than what the Yankees got from their catchers last season.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    How many average DH and 1B are making $17M a year?
    I never said they would get "value". I said they would get "production"

11. Likes:

757690 (11-24-2013)

In a little over 12 months, the Atlanta clubhouse has said goodbye to Chipper Jones, Martin Prado, Tim Hudson, and Brian McCann. That's a lot of talent, but its an even bigger loss in the clubhouse.

I'm not sure that Freddy Freeman and Jason Heyward are ready to be the heart and soul of the team both on and off the field.

This is a really good signing for the Yankees. They can absorb a bad year at the end of a contract better than any other pro sports franchise. Until then, they've got themselves a very good guy behind the plate, in the batters box, and in the clubhouse.

Mesoraco has a higher CS% than McCann.

I'm ok with this deal. (And I'm not a big fan of 90% of long term deals). It's just over half the cost of the Ellsbury deal which I don't like, isn't too long, easily affordable by Yanks. By using him at 1b/DH Yanks can keep him fresh and get more than the 120 or so games they have been getting.

I forgot all about this with all of the Ellsbury and Cano talk.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I don't think the stupidity of an owner as shown by giving out a bad contract hurts baseball. It may hurt their team but it does not hurt baseball.
    Maybe so, but the odds of the Reds being able to sign any of Latos, Bailey, Chapman and Choo to LTC's have decreased each month. Choo's been a goner since he priced himself out of the Reds (and most of the NLs) range. In the AL he can still be an OBP machine even if moved to DH down the road. The contracts to McCann and Ellsbury don't help the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Maybe so, but the odds of the Reds being able to sign any of Latos, Bailey, Chapman and Choo to LTC's have decreased each month. Choo's been a goner since he priced himself out of the Reds (and most of the NLs) range. In the AL he can still be an OBP machine even if moved to DH down the road. The contracts to McCann and Ellsbury don't help the cause.
    A few things to remember:

1) The Yankees are not, and never will be, emblematic of what kind of money is available in the market. The can and do pay above market for the talent they want. I suspect no other team was coming anywhere close to what the Yankees offered for Ellsbury. All those teams that weren't paying Yankees money is the real market.

2) If the Yankees blow their wad on Ellsbury, McCann, etc. Then they'll take themselves out of the bidding for other players. That would actually lower the price for others because it would lower the demand. There is a finite amount of available money for free agents. As it gets taken, there is less for the remaining players. Only in Bizarro Scott Boras World does the price for Player B go up because Player A took a potential bidder and a big chunk of cash from the market.

3) If the market is going up because teams have all this new league TV money to spend, then the Reds have that money too. Obviously they're still in same relative position compared to other clubs as before the influx of that cash. Yet it's not like everyone outside of the Reds has money to spend. My guess is Latos is the priority among the in-house pitchers and I'm confident the Reds have the resources to get that done.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-05-2013),cincinnati chili (12-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?