Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bargain Shopping

Bargain Shopping

If in fact the Reds are unable to resign Choo or find enough value to deal Phillips or Bailey, who are some guys on the cheap that they might be able to sign that could help. Here are three I wouldn't mind seeing

Rafael Furcal to take over the role that Izturis played last year.
    Grady Sizemore- Looking for lightning in a bottle fourth outfielder, insurance for Hamilton.
    Ryan Madson- Maybe he will give us a discount after not being able to pitch in 2012. Could fit in nicely in the late innings especially if Chapman goes to the rotation.

MAybe deal Hanigan to Tampa for Matt Joyce for some pop off of the bench.

2. Likes:

Old NDN (11-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bargain Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    MAybe deal Hanigan to Tampa for Matt Joyce for some pop off of the bench.
    Rays resigned Jose Molina to a 2 year deal to likely be their 2nd catcher so the Rays are likely no longer a fit for a Hanigan trade.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseb...r-rays/2153957
    Familiarity obviously has its benefits. The Rays felt he was better defensively than any of the other affordable free agent options, must not have thought a trade for Ryan Hanigan or anyone else would work, and decided they had better move now — relatively early for them on free agents — before missing out.

In theory, Lobaton will continue the progress he made last season and take over as the primary catcher and Molina can be used in a more suitable backup role. Last year, Molina started a career-high 87 games and Lobaton 76, so at least those numbers might flip.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

There is literally nobody on this Top 50 free agent list who I think is going to be worth the money let alone a "bargain":

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ictions-1.html

On free agents outside the Top 50, there are guys I think would be useful (such as Schumaker) but I wouldn't call any of them bargains. Trades are where it's at this off-seaons.

If I had to just throw out some names, if they're healthy, I'd take a low-cost gamble on Jason Kubel, Brian Roberts, and Luke Scott.
    Stick to your guns.

6. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (11-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    There is literally nobody on this Top 50 free agent list who I think is going to be worth the money let alone a "bargain":

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ictions-1.html

On free agents outside the Top 50, there are guys I think would be useful (such as Schumaker) but I wouldn't call any of them bargains. Trades are where it's at this off-seaons.

If I had to just throw out some names, if they're healthy, I'd take a low-cost gamble on Jason Kubel, Brian Roberts, and Luke Scott.
    This seems to be a weak year for free agents. So the best of the worst will get nice contracts.

After the Chris Young signing, I'm not sure there will be any bargains.

Eric Chavez - 3B (Splits time with Frazier would boost production)
    Franklin Gutierrez - CF (A platoon CF with Skippy or maybe every day guy)
    Tyler Colvin - OF (As an option insteadof X. Paul)
    Mark Ellis - 2B (A platoon 2B with Skippy)
    Wilson Betemit - 3B (Lefty Platoon if Chavez is too expensive or not a midwest guy)
    Scott Downs - LHRP (Reds need one with Parra a FA)
    Jeff Niemann - Swingman, 6th Starter (Insurance for lots of injured guys)

The Reds probably get an established name for one or two of those spots, but guys like this will fill the others IMO.

Some cut loose guys worth a look IMO:

Adron Chambers - Chris Dickerson 2.0? Maybe better. Seems worth a look.
    Cord Phelps - Has mashed at AAA. Roster squeeze with lots of established MI and MI prospects has him DFA'd. Better 2B option than anyone in the high minors.
    Brad Brach - RH Reliever with a minor league K/BB of over 6. (3.59 in 81 AAA IP)
    Jaff Decker - LH OF who plays all the spots and went .286/.381/.443/.824 in 415 AAA Pas in 2013. DFA limbo right now
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-25-2013),757690 (11-24-2013),BEETTLEBUG (11-24-2013),Edd Roush (11-25-2013)

How about Scott Spiezio?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Eric Chavez and Wilson Betemit are players i would take a chance on if the price is right.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

13. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    This seems to be a weak year for free agents. So the best of the worst will get nice contracts.
    Every year I hear the same thing. Its really just that free agency is a hard thing to navigate. There are some excellent players out there, they do cost a lot of money though.

Franklin "Death to Flying Things" Gutierrez would be a nice addition. He has had some hamstring problems but plays a great centerfield when healthy.

His .287/.344/.474 slash versus lefties might make him a nice platoon partner.
    Last edited by Spitball; 11-24-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

16. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-24-2013)

Another couple of names I'd like to throw out there as Rotation/Bullpen insurance are Roy Oswalt and Shaun Marcum. Marcum as the 6th starter on a one year deal with incentives might work out well. Oswalt is willing to accept a relief role. I wonder what kind of velocity he'd have throwing one inning at a time.

The guarantee would have to be low with incentives involved, but I'd take a shot.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-25-2013),Old school 1983 (11-25-2013)

Irving Falu for the bench?

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

The only bargains will be similar to the Madson pickup in the 2011-2012 off-season. A quality player who just over estimates the market for his services and gets left holding the bag. Madson himself might be had on a Minor League deal this year... January and February are the bargain months though. Free agents still have tons of faith at this point. patience...

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

what about Garrett Jones? plays OF and 1st base and off the bench with lefty power

22. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-26-2013)

Turn Off Ads?