Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Beltran, Anyone

Re: Carlos Beltran, Anyone

Maybe you deal Bailey for a leadoff hitter like Fowler, and sign Beltran.

Fowler
    Phillips
    Votto
    Beltran
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesoraco
    Cozart

Cueto
    Latos
    Cingrani
    Chapman
    Leake

2. Likes:

daddylovesabby (11-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Would much, much, much rather have Granderson. Not saying you could get them for the same $$ but I don't want to have a front row seat for Beltran's decline the next 3 years.

What this signals to me is that they're at least considering the possibility of sitting Ludwick on the bench this year (no guarantee that you can move him without paying almost all of that contract). Interesting. And no, not buying Bruce to CF and Beltran to RF. It's LF or DH for Beltran moving forward.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Beltran has fallen bad the 2nd half of the last two years.

He'd be a LF for us, at best.

He's needs to go to the AL to DH.

Or if the Yanks lose Cano, BP + prospect for Gardner & Nunez?

Gardner
    Nunez/Shumaker
    Votto
    Beltran
    Bruce
    Frazier (would love to snatch Chavez as platoon)
    Mes/Pena
    Cozart

Latos
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Leake
    Cingrani

Beltran in LF next year would be a coup of epic proportion.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Beltran in LF next year would be a coup of epic proportion.
    Not sure I'd go that far, but I wouldn't mind the move. Rather have Choo though.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-27-2013)

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I see Beltran as a Dante Bichette/Rich Aurillia/2013 Lance Berkman for the Reds. No way the Reds get any Cardinal magic out of a former super star.
    Rich Aurilia had some decent seasons for the Reds, no?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

11. Likes:

Big Klu (11-27-2013), PedroBourbon (11-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    True but we would move 15 spots back. Plus we could trade for an OF and keep both top 35 picks (but of course lose a player).
    And I think that may be the main concern....losing a player. Who would it be and would their loss via a trade be more detrimental to the reds than losing the draft pick. If a Beltran could be signed to a 2 or 3 year deal, and somehow hanigan and Phillips can be flipped for at least a serviceable pitcher to cover, this could leave open the possibility of maybe being able to pry a sano or Meyer type prospect away from the twins with a bailey or cueto. This would in effect make up for the pick lost while still filling a rotation spot and adding a bat that is impactful but not near as expensive in terms of years or dollars as choo.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If he got a qualifying offer, then no. Next years draft is packed, and I don't want to give the Cardinals the Reds #1 pick.
    Rest easy. Reds would forfeit their pick and the 1st round is just shortened.

The Cards have already recieved the only thing they will get out of Beltran when he turned down their Qualifying Offer, a pick in the compensatory round between the 1st and 2nd round.

2012 draft was the last year of it being possible for a team losing a top market FA to get gain two compensatory picks (one for the QO, and a second for another team signing FA and forfeiting pick).

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Really wanted him bad two years ago. Like really bad. Now I'd still take him, and would rather have him for 2/20 or a little more than that than Choo for 5/100.

I wonder how his defense in CF at 36 might compare to Choo at 32? Once Hamilton is ready, Beltran could slide over to LF and bridge to Winker/Ervin/Y-Rod.

Only thing I wouldn't like is losing the first round pick. I wouldn't like that at all.
    Choo wont be a 5/100 guy (I hope). I really believe that Choo should be the Reds target.

While Beltran is a very intriguing target, his advanced age, need for more and more rest, and worries about durability make me question any NL seriously considering him for more than one year.

He really is an ideal fit for an AL team with other aging stars that can rotate the DH slot and not have to worry about losing valuable bats in their line up due to resting requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Rest easy. Reds would forfeit their pick and the 1st round is just shortened.

The Cards have already recieved the only thing they will get out of Beltran when he turned down their Qualifying Offer, a pick in the compensatory round between the 1st and 2nd round.

2012 draft was the last year of it being possible for a team losing a top market FA to get gain two compensatory picks (one for the QO, and a second for another team signing FA and forfeiting pick).
    Thanks for the clarification. I still don't want to be the team responsible for the Cards getting an extra pick, even if they would get it anyway. Not logical, but makes perfect sense to me.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

16. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (11-26-2013)

"Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

18. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (11-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Rich Aurilia had some decent seasons for the Reds, no?
    Rich Aurilia's 2006 season with the Reds is the stuff dreams are made of.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Man, should have done that two years ago.
    I will go to my grave convinced the Reds would have won at least one World Series if they had signed Beltran. Might make sense in LF next season. The draft pick compensation could lower his eventual contract price. For the record I'd move back 15 picks in order to get a meaningful bat.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

22. Likes:

marcshoe (11-26-2013), Puffy (11-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I still don't want to be the team responsible for the Cards getting an extra pick, even if they would get it anyway. Not logical, but makes perfect sense to me.
    Is Beltran a solid clubhouse guy? Kind think that's what Walt is gunning for. I wouldn't mind Beltran if they are satisfied he can hold up to laying left field on a regular basis, the deal is for no more than two years (one preferred) and the money is reasonable - seems like a tall trifecta to pull off though. Deal Hanigan to the Rays for Joyce as insurance and a LH bat off the bench. They'd probably have to move Ludwick to make it happen, but if they didn't Ludwick and Joyce would be a pretty nice 1-2/right-left bench combination and plenty of insurance. Maybe a lesser deal for Span as a bridge to Billy.

Turn Off Ads?