Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Beltran, Anyone

Re: Carlos Beltran, Anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'd rather get Choo. He can play CF for awhile longer while Hamilton breaks in. I thought Choo was underrated in CF.

If the Reds get Beltran for LF they will still need to address CF.
    Choo and Hart. Print playoff tickets.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Choo(2011~2013): 134wRC+(131OPS+)
    Hart(2010~2012): 130wRC+(127OPS+)
    Hart also had around 40 more home runs in that span. Either way, he is way better than Ryan Ludwick.

4. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-27-2013)

Choo(2011~2013): 134wRC+(131OPS+)
    Hart(2010~2012): 130wRC+(127OPS+)
    And he will be scads cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Not seeing that. 2010-2012 Hart averaged 127 OPS+ - From 2011-2013 Ludwick averaged 97.

Jonah Keri tweeted Harts stats over his last 3 seasons played to Choo's last 3 seasons played and Hart has actually been better than him.

Hart is way better than Ludwick.

Ludwick in 2012 is very similar to Corey Hart. Ludwick hasn't t been as consistent as Hart, but when he's on his game, he's just as productive.

Choo played injured in 2011 and had a down year. When healthy, it's not even close. Choo is much better.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Ludwick in 2012 is very similar to Corey Hart. Ludwick hasn't t been as consistent as Hart, but when he's on his game, he's just as productive.

Choo played injured in 2011 and had a down year. When healthy, it's not even close. Choo is much better.
    The difference is ludwick in the past 3 years has "been on his game" once. Hart was "on his game" 3 out of 3 years.

8. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-27-2013), M2 (11-27-2013)

Hart also had around 40 more home runs in that span. Either way, he is way better than Ryan Ludwick.
    Don't you know home runs are included in wRC+ and OPS+?
    Additionally, Choo's 2011~2013 seasons include two of the worst seasons in his career, while Hart's 2010~2012 seasons include two of the best seasons in his career.

The difference is ludwick in the past 3 years has "been on his game" once. Hart was "on his game" 3 out of 3 years.
    And Hart is coming off a massive injury. In terms of projections, neither is that great of a bet.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Corey Hart is likely never to play everyday OF the rest of his career. He was pretty bad in his career in RF, played mostly 1B in 2012 before missing all of 2013. To think he can be an everyday LF at this point is a stretch. If he is even an upgrade from Ludwick is debatable. Career wrc+117 for Hart and 112 for Ludwick, plus Hart is coming off a missed season.

Hard to see a fit with Reds. Teams looking at him will be thinking 1b and DH.

12. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (11-28-2013), Old school 1983 (11-28-2013), RANDY IN INDY (11-27-2013)

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Choo has the advantage of playing defense and being able to run the bases. Hart got moved to 1B for a reason...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Not seeing that. 2010-2012 Hart averaged 127 OPS+ - From 2011-2013 Ludwick averaged 97.

Jonah Keri tweeted Harts stats over his last 3 seasons played to Choo's last 3 seasons played and Hart has actually been better than him.

Hart is way better than Ludwick.
    Ludwick actually averaged a 104 OPS+ over that time period (you didn't weigh your average by PAs, you just averaged the three numbers up. Math doesn't work that way).

But as others have pointed out, there are a lot of other factors at play than their most recent three year averages. Hart is coming off an entire season missed by injury. He's no improvement in the field to Ludwick. But most importantly... he's RH.

I agree Hart would be inexpensive and that he may very well be a better player than Ludwick in 2014. But the Reds are stuck with Ludwick's contract, and as long as he is on the 2014 roster I don't see how there is space for both. I would prefer the Reds get somebody who is a LHH to compliment Ludwick, and/or can cover CF until Hamilton is ready...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Beltran is an icon now?
    Best postseason hitter of his generation. So, yeah, that's a bit iconic.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Hart got moved to 1B for a reason...
    Because Prince Fielder left and the Brewers didn't have a 1B.

Main things to remember about Hart is he wears sunglasses at night and that he never surrenders.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

18. Likes:

757690 (11-27-2013), Boss-Hog (11-27-2013), DanielPlainview (11-27-2013), harangatang (11-27-2013), Larkin Fan (11-27-2013), MattyHo4Life (11-27-2013), pahster (11-27-2013), Revering4Blue (11-27-2013), westofyou (11-27-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    I don't think you want to play Beltran in CF.
    Can barely play RF anymore on those knees. Guy has a stick, though.

Probably needs to be a DH now.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Don't you know home runs are included in wRC+ and OPS+?
    Additionally, Choo's 2011~2013 seasons include two of the worst seasons in his career, while Hart's 2010~2012 seasons include two of the best seasons in his career.
    I was comparing Hart to Ludwick. I simply included the part about Jonah Keri's tweet comparing Hart to Choo to show how good Hart has been.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    And Hart is coming off a massive injury. In terms of projections, neither is that great of a bet.
    Did I miss something? Did Ludwick not just miss nearly all of 2013 with a massive injury as well?

Turn Off Ads?