Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Beltran.....I hope thats sign of....

Reds interested in Beltran.....I hope thats sign of....

having money to spend elsewhere and not necessarily on him. IMO, as good as he's been lately, he doesn't fit I for us. He needs to sign with a team that has LF/RF/DH spot available in the American League. If he wants 3 years at that age and looking for 10+ mil a year that's his best fit.

Now, if we are being mentioned as being interested, then we appear to have 10-15 mil a year to go towards a player, even after arbitration raises and not trading BP yet. I think we need to go after a CF with some pop like Granderson, or another guy via trade with a sizeable contract already, that has a high OBP, alittle pop, and right handed.

I hope that's what this is really telling us, because I don't see Beltran a fit, but maybe that's their way of letting us know there is that kind of money to spend.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds interested in Beltran.....I hope thats sign of....

According to Brandon Phillips, Cast has invented a new vegetable.

Reds need to just lock up Chooooooo.

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

I guess it all depends on the kind of deal it would be. In the end, I don't think the Reds get him.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

At the end of the day who really knows what or how something was communicated in this situation? So, who really knows the interest level of the Reds?

But I tend to agree...I'm not sure he fits. I'm sure his leadership would be appreciated in the dugout, but where does he play? Can he hold up? At what point does he begin to decline and do the Reds want the back-end of that contract?

You should front load the contract like the Cards did with Peralta. But....Beltran doesn't fit there. Your corner spots are taken with Bruce and Luddy.

What's the latest on choo I know he turned down the 14.1 mill

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Beltran is certainly an interesting notion, somewhere on the border between fantasy and reality.

One of those moves you'd need a computer to weigh all the factors involved.

I almost think that Walt is going to make it close, if not actually happen.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Strike3Called View Post
    You should front load the contract like the Cards did with Peralta. But....Beltran doesn't fit there. Your corner spots are taken with Bruce and Luddy.
    If Ryan Ludwick is the only thing standing between the Reds and Carlos Beltran I will drive him out of town myself

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    If Ryan Ludwick is the only thing standing between the Reds and Carlos Beltran I will drive him out of town myself
    Will you pay his contract too? That's what's keeping him here
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

11. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (12-03-2013)

Way off the subject, but is that Mike Tyson as your avatar? If it is... Super awesome
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-28-2013), Strike3Called (11-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Dont get caught up in the name value. In 2012 Luddy gave you a 2.6 WAR. Beltran posted a 2.0 WAR last year. If Luddy wasnt hurt all season he'd have done the same. Beltran is going to give you a 120-125 OPS+ or so but you're paying way to much for that and wont even get it for the entire season.

Plus u dont wanna sign Beltran and have to give us your draft pick do you? Imagine all the scenarios in which that draft pick we get off you throws a couple no hitters against you for us or hits a few walk offs on you. You dont want that karma
    Last edited by Strike3Called; 11-28-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Way off the subject, but is that Mike Tyson as your avatar? If it is... Super awesome
    hahaha why yes it is. and thanks for the props haha.

16. Likes:

757690 (11-28-2013), Revering4Blue (11-28-2013)

We all know that sooner or later CB's age will catch up to him. Those legs aren't impervious to fair wear and tear. The Cards dodged a bullet. Beltran is gonna want a 3 year contract to fill in his HOF push. Chances are some time in there he will come up hobbling. Without good wheels, those numbers fall off a cliff.

The same thing could happen to Luddy of course, but you don't have to commit as long or pay as much. Beltran's gonna be in the 40-50M range @ 3 years.

Dont get caught up in the name value. In 2012 Luddy gave you a 2.6 WAR. Beltran posted a 2.0 WAR last year. If Luddy wasnt hurt all season he'd have done the same. Beltran is going to give you a 120-125 OPS+ or so but you're paying way to much for that and wont even get it for the entire season.

Plus u dont wanna sign Beltran and have to give us your draft pick do you? Imagine all the scenarios in which that draft pick we get off you throws a couple no hitters against you for us or hits a few walk offs on you. You dont want that karma
    You know thats what alot of pundits said about Beltran when he was signed in STL. He's hurt all the time, bleh bleh bleh. I think he has shown that he has durability and deserves the benefit of the doubt. That being said considering his age, the best bet for him is an AL team so his bat isn't lost when he is resting from outfield duties.

Oh and the Cards don't get the Reds draft pick, the Reds forfeit their pick, and the cards gain a compensatory round pick if this scenario plays out.

Beltran turns 37 in April correct? Signing him and losing a draft pick is bad enough as this is one of the stronger draft classes over the past few years.

He's 37, his WAR has gone from 4.5 to 3.8 to 2.4. That's not a good trend line. You can't really expect him to be much better than 2.4 next year given his age, and he has a better shot of being closer to 1.5 or worse, then a 3 WAR.

Signing him and not using the money to extend Latos, Cueto and Bailey is a huge problem.

Signing him to a 3 year deal would be awful as it would block Winker and Erwin in 2016.

Money would be better off upgrading another position. Why pay $10mm plus (who knows what he will get) for a 2 WAR or potentially worse- a 1.0 WAR or less. We already have 1 of those LF's-- his name is Ludwick-- we don't need a 2nd.

The Reds don't have an infinite payroll-- spending good money on Beltran wouldn't be wise.

20. Likes:

Old NDN (11-29-2013), REDREAD (12-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?