Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • OSU vs Michigan

    27 69.23%
  • Oklahoma vs Texas

    0 0%
  • Notre Dame vs USC

    1 2.56%
  • Auburn vs Alabama

    11 28.21%
  • Georgia vs Florida

    0 0%
  • Other. Please Explain

    0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

  1. #16
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Does your rivalry ever have someone shoot a fellow fan because they're "not upset enough" over their team losing? No? You lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  2. Likes:

    Sea Ray (12-03-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #17
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,694

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Had to find a rival you guys could actually beat once in awhile?
    Check the record bud, lucky for you guys that Muschamp came along
    Go Gators!

  5. #18
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    I have quite few friends who attended Auburn. The hatred they have for Bama is amazing.

  6. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    This is basically an Ohio State site, so I'm not surprised by the results. I think it would be more accurate if you couldn't vote for your own school. I would vote Alabama/Auburn in football well ahead of anyone else, even though Ohio State and Dayton were my second favorite schools when I was growing up. The Bama/Auburn winner has won the last four national championships. That's kind of tough to top. You also have the same state angle. That automatically gets the edge over rivals from different states. When do OSU and Michigan fans ever encounter each other? I would think it's rare.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  7. #20
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    3,487

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    This is basically an Ohio State site, so I'm not surprised by the results. I think it would be more accurate if you couldn't vote for your own school. I would vote Alabama/Auburn in football well ahead of anyone else, even though Ohio State and Dayton were my second favorite schools when I was growing up. The Bama/Auburn winner has won the last four national championships. That's kind of tough to top. You also have the same state angle. That automatically gets the edge over rivals from different states. When do OSU and Michigan fans ever encounter each other? I would think it's rare.
    Toledo, OH

    Metro Population: aprox 650,000

    Closer to Ann Arbor than Columbus - basically split right down the middle between UM and OSU.

  8. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Toledo, OH

    Metro Population: aprox 650,000

    Closer to Ann Arbor than Columbus - basically split right down the middle between UM and OSU.
    I find that really hard to believe. (The split right down the middle part)
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  9. #22
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    3,487

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I find that really hard to believe. (The split right down the middle part)
    I lived in toledo until I was 27. Did you?

  10. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I lived in toledo until I was 27. Did you?
    Easy, big guy. I didn't call you a liar. Just wondering how you determined the split right down the middle part. I have been to, and through, Toledo several times. I don't recall a lot of Michigan fans. Did they grow up there or are they drawn to the area for economic reasons? It just seems odd that an Ohio city would be half Michigan fans when those states don't even border each other. Agreed?
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  11. #24
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    3,487

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    It just seems odd that an Ohio city would be half Michigan fans when those states don't even border each other. Agreed?
    Um, what? No, I do not agree - how do you not know Ohio and Michigan share a border?

    Toledo is ipart of why there is such a big rivalry:

    conflict between the states is restricted primarily to the Michigan–Ohio State rivalry in American football;[52] the Toledo War is cited as the origins of the animosity represented in today's rivalry.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

    You want to talk about animosity between two fanbases? There was an actual "war" at the origin of the UM/OSU rivalry.

    Toledo is right on the border of Michigan. You can get to UM from Toledo in less than an hour. It takes a little over 2 hours to get to Columbus from Toledo.

    I grew up in the 90s surrounded by many Michigan fans. You go to any sports bar on a saturday and there are usually as many UM fans as OSU.

  12. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (12-04-2013)

  13. #25
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    I spent considerable time in Toledo when I was younger. It's absolutely a Michigan town as much as OSU.

    And this is definitely not an OSU site. There are just as many, if not more, people who passionately dislike the Bucks than are fans.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  14. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (12-04-2013), RedTeamGo! (12-04-2013)

  15. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Doh ... I forgot about that stretch of Ohio/Michigan border. Hard to believe I grew up a huge geography nerd, eh?

    I even dated a girl from Perrysburg for a couple years. I'll just assume I developed temporary brain damage during this thread.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  16. #27
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    3,487

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Doh ... I forgot about that stretch of Ohio/Michigan border. Hard to believe I grew up a huge geography nerd, eh?

    I even dated a girl from Perrysburg for a couple years. I'll just assume I developed temporary brain damage during this thread.
    My GF (now wife) lived in Perrysburg too. If we ever move back to the Toledo area we will definitely live in Pburg, such a nice town. Ever go to Swig in downtown Pburg?

  17. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My GF (now wife) lived in Perrysburg too. If we ever move back to the Toledo area we will definitely live in Pburg, such a nice town. Ever go to Swig in downtown Pburg?
    It's been almost 25 years, so I don't remember much about the town. I know in the summer we spent a lot of time on her dad's boat. I don't even remember the name of the river. It was an Indian name, I think. Maumau?
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  18. #29
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,467

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    that an Ohio city would be half Michigan fans when those states don't even border each other.
    What

    Oh, whoops didn't see this was already brought up.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  19. #30
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    It's been almost 25 years, so I don't remember much about the town. I know in the summer we spent a lot of time on her dad's boat. I don't even remember the name of the river. It was an Indian name, I think. Maumau?
    The Maumee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maumee_River

    I had a streak of 15 years or so when I went walleye fishing there. Haven't been there in a few years.

    GL


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25