• Georgia vs Florida

0 0%
  • Other. Please Explain

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

Re: Biggest Rivalry in College Football

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    It's been almost 25 years, so I don't remember much about the town. I know in the summer we spent a lot of time on her dad's boat. I don't even remember the name of the river. It was an Indian name, I think. Maumau?
    The Maumee River

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's the one. I haven't actually lived in Ohio in over 40 years, but for some reason I remember the rivers well. Even my little league baseball field (in Germantown) sat at the junction of the Little Twin and Big Twin rivers. I did a quick Google satellite image and it appears the old ballpark is now gone, so I'm going to pretend I'm the last t-baller to hit a HR into the creek there. P.S. -- my dad made the first scoreboard for that field, around 1968 or 1969.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Yay!

That's the one. I haven't actually lived in Ohio in over 40 years, but for some reason I remember the rivers well. Even my little league baseball field (in Germantown) sat at the junction of the Little Twin and Big Twin rivers. I did a quick Google satellite image and it appears the old ballpark is now gone, so I'm going to pretend I'm the last t-baller to hit a HR into the creek there. P.S. -- my dad made the first scoreboard for that field, around 1968 or 1969.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
    Would that have been at Kercher Park? I grew up on West Alexandria Rd. (aka Puddenbag Rd.) in Madison Township. Used to ride my bike to the DQ or Tastee Freeze or whatever it was in Germantown via Astoria Rd. past Kercher Park all the time.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Even my little league baseball field (in Germantown) sat at the junction of the Little Twin and Big Twin rivers.
    Germantown = Valley View High School. Where former REDS (1993-1996) player Thomas Howard went to school.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Iron Bowl

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/201...-hare-stadium/

UPDATE: Weíre now told that sideline is the Auburn (duh) sideline at about the 40 yard line. In other words, right around where we all said OH MY GOD. Itís holy ground.
    Enough said.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Would that have been at Kercher Park? I grew up on West Alexandria Rd. (aka Puddenbag Rd.) in Madison Township. Used to ride my bike to the DQ or Tastee Freeze or whatever it was in Germantown via Astoria Rd. past Kercher Park all the time.
    I wish I could say I remember any of those names, but I was only 8 when we moved away. We lived in the Hillcrest subdivision, up the hill from Route 4. I think there was a DQ or Tastee Freeze on the opposite end of town, towards IGA, Germantown Dam, etc. I could be wrong though.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Germantown = Valley View High School. Where former REDS (1993-1996) player Thomas Howard went to school.
    Yessir ... Valley View Spartans. I still have my Valley View Elementary School yearbook and a few of the programs from VV high school games.

Yay!

I wish I could say I remember any of those names, but I was only 8 when we moved away. We lived in the Hillcrest subdivision, up the hill from Route 4. I think there was a DQ or Tastee Freeze on the opposite end of town, towards IGA, Germantown Dam, etc. I could be wrong though.
    That's the one. Kercher Park is down in the bottom next to the creek and not far from that IGA. Their high school team played down there for many years even after the new high school was built.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I never served in the military, but I always look forward to the Army/Navy game each year. It might not be the biggest rivalry, but it is certainly a very special one! Game is starting soon!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    I never served in the military, but I always look forward to the Army/Navy game each year. It might not be the biggest rivalry, but it is certainly a very special one! Game is starting soon!
    I just got done reading John Feinstein's book on the 1995 Army/Navy game. No it's not the game it was in the 1950s but I'd wager it is the most emotional rivalry in college football. I love this game.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Alabama vs. Auburn
    -In State
    -Only sports teams in the state anyone pays attention to
    -Divides families
    -Winner holds the last 4 national titles
    -Big Brother vs. Little Brother (it wasn't until the '80's that Alabama would even go to Auburn)

OSU vs Michigan
    -The most historically significant on a consistent basis
    -Ebbs and flows (Michigan dominating Cooper, Tressell dominating, Woody, Bo)
    -Huge fan bases
    -Only portions of each state cares (unlike Alabama)

Army vs Navy
    -Entire season in one game every year
    -Has been irrelevant in national title picture for decades
    -Coolest stadium atmosphere. It needs to be played in some sort of old, rickety, college stadium. It seems weird that it is in a modern NFL stadium. It ruins some of the aesthetics for me.

I would probably put Alabama vs. Auburn at one for the all consuming nature of it. It is the biggest event in the state every year. It comes up in conversation in May, regularly. Also, on the day after an Iron Bowl, I don't think there is a story I could read about the aftermath that I wouldn't believe. Towns could burn down, trees could be poisoned, militia's could be formed, the National Guard could be called in, etc... I would believe all of it.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Turn Off Ads?