Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price On Chapman

Price On Chapman

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/...o-use-chapman/

Price wasn’t ready to commit exactly on Chapman’s 2014 role.

“We’ve had some internal dialogue on that,” Price said. “I don’t think it’s something where I feel comfortable with saying ‘this is exactly what we’re going to do.’ I have my opinion on it. I know that his value for us that last couple of years has been as a closer.

Price did certainly sound like he might be willing to go outside the box/away from the book with how his lefty power pitcher is used next season.

“He found his way into a comfortable position. I do think we can utilize him more in the bullpen instead a guy that may be a single-inning guy now that he’s done this for a few years,” Price said. “I think there are ways we can get more value out of Aroldis, not necessarily by starting him but keeping him in the bullpen. There’s still a bit more dialogue to have organizationally before we put a stamp on what role he’ll have. Right now, I’m very comfortable with where he is.”

2. Likes:

Chuckie (12-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Price On Chapman

Well, if Chapman has to stay in the pen, I would certainly appreciate a manager who uses him to maximize his value there...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Sounds like the perfect plan to me. I've got zero confidence he can be a starter but I don't think "one and done" is the best plan of attack with him either. Would be awesome to see him come in a slam the door in some high leverage situations, then stay on to throw the next few outs as well.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Sounds like the perfect plan to me. I've got zero confidence he can be a starter but I don't think "one and done" is the best plan of attack with him either. Would be awesome to see him come in a slam the door in some high leverage situations, then stay on to throw the next few outs as well.
    While I differ with you on his starting prospects, the rest I totally agree with. Best use if he isn't going to start.

7. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (12-04-2013)

Given how Chapman has talked about Chapman needing innings to further develop, I'll be interested to see how things play out.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Well, if Chapman has to stay in the pen, I would certainly appreciate a manager who uses him to maximize his value there...
    Until he didn't.

I'm betting no one will be super happy with any relief from Chapman unless it was elite.

Something like 10K/9 less than a 1.50 era and 80 IP

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Until he didn't.

I'm betting no one will be super happy with any relief from Chapman unless it was elite.

Something like 10K/9 less than a 1.50 era and 80 IP
    Until who didn't? You mean Price?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Until who didn't? You mean Price?
    Yep, once Price proves to be just like every other manager in history the sheen will come off him like an action figure taken out of the packaging.

13. Likes:

wheels (12-04-2013)

Yep, once Price proves to be just like every other manager in history the sheen will come off him like an action figure taken out of the packaging.
    Yeah, quite possible. I'm just hoping that he avoids boneheaded moves a little more than Dusty, but I'm sure he'll make his share.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    I agree with this. An appearance in the 7th with runners on and the heart of the order coming to bat can be more critical than protecting a lead in the ninth with no one on base. To me, the current widely accepted practice of designating closers who are used almost exclusively in save situations is driven more by the save statistic itself than by a thoughtful use of the pen to win games. Hopefully, this statement by Price signals more flexibility in using what shapes up as a deep pen in high leverage situations.

The Reds' bullpen minus Chapman is the Astros' bullpen.

17. Likes:

757690 (12-04-2013)

Yeah, don't let him pitch on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I would like Chapman in the rotation, but removing him from the pen leaves the pen with only one elite arm... Marshall, and he's coming off an injury.

If Price does use Chapman the way Fingers, Gossage, and Sutter were used, Chapman could be the Reds MVP. A true fireman in the pen with the talent of Chapman can be historic.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Code:
    15 IP miniumum

CINCINNATI REDS
    SEASON

BASERUNNERS/9 IP displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    STRIKEOUTS/9 IP displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    INNINGS PITCHED displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    HOMERUNS vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    GAMES STARTED <= 0

ERA                             DIFF   PLAYER   LEAGUE   BR/9 IP   SO/9 IP     IP       HR       GS     
    1    Aroldis Chapman            1.19     2.54     3.74     9.75    15.83     63.2       -1        0   
    2    Sam LeCure                 1.08     2.66     3.74    11.07     9.74     61          2        0   
    3    J.J. Hoover                0.87     2.86     3.74    10.23     9.14     66          1        0   
    4    Alfredo Simon              0.86     2.87     3.74    10.47     6.47     87.2        1        0   
    5    Manny Parra                0.41     3.33     3.74    10.96    10.96     46          0        0   
    6    Logan Ondrusek             -.35     4.09     3.74    11.45     8.67     55         -3        0   
    7    Jonathan Broxton           -.37     4.11     3.74    12.62     7.34     30.2       -1        0   
    8    Curtis Partch             -2.43     6.17     3.74    14.66     6.17     23.1       -6        0   

HOUSTON ASTROS
    SEASON

BASERUNNERS/9 IP displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    STRIKEOUTS/9 IP displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    INNINGS PITCHED displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    HOMERUNS vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    GAMES STARTED <= 0

ERA                             DIFF   PLAYER   LEAGUE   BR/9 IP   SO/9 IP     IP       HR       GS     
    1    Kevin Chapman              2.22     1.77     3.99    11.95     6.64     20.1        1        0   
    2    Jose Veras                 1.06     2.93     3.99     9.63     9.21     43          1        0   
    3    Rhiner Cruz                0.62     3.38     3.99    16.03     4.22     21.1        0        0   
    4    Josh Zeid                  0.09     3.90     3.99    12.69     7.81     27.2        0        0   
    5    Wesley Wright              0.07     3.92     3.99    13.94     8.71     41.1        0        0   
    6    Jose Cisnero               -.13     4.12     3.99    14.84     8.45     43.2        0        0   
    7    Chia-Jen Lo                -.20     4.19     3.99    12.57     7.45     19.1        0        0   
    8    Travis Blackley            -.89     4.89     3.99    13.11     7.46     35         -6        0   
    9    Josh Fields                -.98     4.97     3.99    11.61     9.47     38         -4        0   
    10   Hector Ambriz             -1.70     5.70     3.99    16.10     6.69     36.1       -4        0

Brother, that's a fantastic line.

Put that one in your back pocket and break it out again next year, like I do my bottle of Glennmorrangie.

Turn Off Ads?