Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dexter Fowler traded to Houston

Re: Dexter Fowler traded to Houston

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So Leake and Lamarre wouldn't fit the bill?
    Its possible walt offered this and the rockies wouldnt budge on stephenson.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I hope he didn't. That's a huge overpay for Fowler.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I wouldn't have been opposed to Fowler at the right price,but he is very splitty.

2011-2013 at Coors: 296/396/496, 41 2B, 18 3B, 20 HR

2011-2013 on the road: 256/350/380, 30 2B, 11 3B, 10 HR

While GABP is known for being an offensive park, I have always heard it suppresses doubles and triples, while boosting HRs. I don't think Fowler is the kind of player to benefit from a home environment like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I wouldn't have been opposed to Fowler at the right price,but he is very splitty.

2011-2013 at Coors: 296/396/496, 41 2B, 18 3B, 20 HR

2011-2013 on the road: 256/350/380, 30 2B, 11 3B, 10 HR

While GABP is known for being an offensive park, I have always heard it suppresses doubles and triples, while boosting HRs. I don't think Fowler is the kind of player to benefit from a home environment like that.
    I'd LOVE to have a .350 OBP in this lineup

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-03-2013), TRF (12-04-2013)

Also keep in mind a good portion of those road games were in Petco, At&t and Dodger Stadium. 3 of the worst hitting parks around.

It just seems to me like things are falling into place for other teams and the Reds are just kinda sitting there.

I've heard the Mariners are pushing very hard for Matt Kemp. The Tigers are really pushing for Choo. The Royals look to be close to signing Beltran. Now Fowler is off the board. The Reds need offense. At some point they are going to have to step up, or it's going to be a very underwhelming offseason.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 12-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That's true. We don't know he wasn't in on the talks at some point. Still, given what the Rockies ended up getting, you would think they would have come back to Walt again with Leake on the table. Or maybe I'm just overvaluing Leake -- Lyles has a decent pedigree, so maybe COL preferred his upside.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I hope he didn't. That's a huge overpay for Fowler.
    Leake and Lamarre is a huge overpay for a .800 OPS CF? Those don't exactly grow on trees...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-03-2013)

Leake and Lamarre is a huge overpay for a .800 OPS CF? Those don't exactly grow on trees...
    26 year old pitchers who can give you 200 IP and a 3.50 ERA don't either.

Fowler is about as average as you can get. He has a 101 OPS+. UZR doesn't like hi that much, -10 UZR/150, but I'm guessing a lot of that is Coors Field related. He's a 2-2.5 win player.

It's a lot easier to find a league average CF than a 26 year old #3 starter with four years of starting experience.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-03-2013), REDREAD (12-03-2013)

26 year old pitchers who can give you 200 IP and a 3.50 ERA don't either.

Fowler is about as average as you can get. He has a 101 OPS+. UZR doesn't like hi that much, -10 UZR/150, but I'm guessing a lot of that is Coors Field related. He's a 2-2.5 win player.

It's a lot easier to find a league average CF than a 26 year old #3 starter with four years of starting experience.
    I think you value Leake more than I do. I wouldn't look at his ERA as indicative of his value, and I also think he has peaked. Regardless of that though, the Reds have pitchers. They don't have a CF or a lead off hitter -- at least as long as Choo bolts. If Fowler is a 2-2.5 win player, Leake is at 1.6. Seems like a pretty fair straight-up deal to me, actually.
    Last edited by RedEye; 12-03-2013 at 08:19 PM.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-03-2013)

Fowler actually hit well in Petco (the best), SF and AZ.

I think you value Leake more than I do. I wouldn't look at his ERA as indicative of his value, and I also think he has peaked. Regardless of that though, the Reds have pitchers. They don't have a CF or a lead off hitter -- at least as long as Choo bolts. If Fowler is a 2-2.5 win player, Leake is at 1.6. Seems like a pretty fair straight-up deal to me, actually.
    I don't use WAR for pitchers. It's not very accurate, overvalues high K guys, undervalues guys who simply get outs. But that's another debate.

Reds don't have too many pitchers, and they a CF and leadoff hitter who did quite well in his pro debut last Sept. I'm guessing Hamilton, if he plays everyday in CF, will put up similar production to Fowler next season. If the Reds get a CF, they need an above average one that can move to LF when Hamilton is ready. Not one that will be just as good as him, and definitely not at the cost of a solid #3 pitcher entering his prime.

So Leake and Lamarre wouldn't fit the bill?
    Leake helps the Reds more in 2014 than Fowler would.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-03-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (12-04-2013)

I am with Dom and RedEye. Very very disappointing that Fowler was dealt for such a low haul and the Reds were not able to get him. He would have been a nice fit here in my opinion.

20. Likes:

mth123 (12-04-2013), RedEye (12-03-2013)

Reds don't have too many pitchers, and they a CF and leadoff hitter who did quite well in his pro debut last Sept. I'm guessing Hamilton, if he plays everyday in CF, will put up similar production to Fowler next season. If the Reds get a CF, they need an above average one that can move to LF when Hamilton is ready. Not one that will be just as good as him, and definitely not at the cost of a solid #3 pitcher entering his prime.
    The Reds don't have too many pitchers, no, but they have enough of them to consider moving one who has likely reached his highest value ever.

I don't see how you could ever expect Hamilton to produce like Fowler next year. The guy barely got on at a .300 clip in AAA and doesn't have close to the power. I think they are lucky to get even a .700 OPS out of Hamilton, while Fowler should easily top that by .100 points.

If Fowler is an above average CF (and if he's a 2-2.5 WAR player, that means he is that) he could easily move to LF and do just fine. A starting lineup with Hamilton-Fowler-Votto-Bruce would be awfully nice, too.

Oh well. Not going to happen.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Leake helps the Reds more in 2014 than Fowler would.
    Based on what? Again, the Reds potentially have five SP even without Leake (Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman, Cingrani). They just acquired a young lefty for some AAA insurance today.

If Choo leaves and Hamilton needs seasoning, they have zero good options in CF. I've been one of Heisey's biggest defenders, but he's not the answer.

Turn Off Ads?