Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dexter Fowler traded to Houston

Re: Dexter Fowler traded to Houston

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I am with Dom and RedEye. Very very disappointing that Fowler was dealt for such a low haul and the Reds were not able to get him. He would have been a nice fit here in my opinion.
    I too am disappointed that Reds didn't get Fowler. But I'm glad they didn't give up Leake to get him, and that's what it would have taken.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I too am disappointed that Reds didn't get Fowler. But I'm glad they didn't give up Leake to get him, and that's what it would have taken.
    I guess I just take issue with when you said Leake-Fowler would be a "massive overpay." I think it is a fair deal. I understand that you wouldn't have done it, but it's not a massive overpay. Stephenson and Hamilton for Fowler? Yeah, that would be a massive overpay. But not Leake-Lamarre for Fowler, IMO.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Maybe Fowler was a better add with Choo in the fold last year. Still think he's better than we'll put out there and for what the 'stros gave up for him...

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I had the impression that Coors field didn't produce mirages since the humidor. Coors beer mirages? Absolutely. Coors field mirages? Not so much anymore.

Guy has close to an .800 lifetime OPS. I have to think anything close to that in CF would be a huge lift to the Reds. And he, unlike Choo, is actually a CF.
    Without checking all the posts (sorry), this may have been already posted, but his splits show a pretty significant Coors Field benefit. At Coors, he has had a line of .298/.395/.485. Away he has had .241/.333/.361. He has benefited from Coors Field.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Without checking all the posts (sorry), this may have been already posted, but his splits show a pretty significant Coors Field benefit. At Coors, he has had a line of .298/.395/.485. Away he has had .241/.333/.361. He has benefited from Coors Field.
    Okay, fair enough. I just wasn't clear that the current generation of Coors players were considered kneejerk "Coors products." In Fowler's case, though, the splits do seem to suggest he has trouble away from there. Now, whether his game would play in GABP is another story. And I guess it is one we won't have the privilege of reading.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

On the bright side, the Reds got a better pitcher for Hanigan than the Rox got for Fowler (plus they got a Chris Heisey wannabe). Colorado fans must be overjoyed. And Fowler surely will be a free agent next year, and available at the trade deadline. Too bad Corcino flopped this year, otherwise he might have been arm enough to sway the Rox.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

757690 (12-03-2013),REDREAD (12-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    On the bright side, the Reds got a better pitcher for Hanigan than the Rox got for Fowler (plus they got a Chris Heisey wannabe). Colorado fans must be overjoyed. And Fowler surely will be a free agent next year, and available at the trade deadline. Too bad Corcino flopped this year, otherwise he might have been arm enough to sway the Rox.
    Fowler is a free agent after 2015, not 2014. But otherwise, I agree.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Based on what? Again, the Reds potentially have five SP even without Leake (Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman, Cingrani). They just acquired a young lefty for some AAA insurance today.

If Choo leaves and Hamilton needs seasoning, they have zero good options in CF. I've been one of Heisey's biggest defenders, but he's not the answer.
    Maybe Walt thinks he can get something more substantial for a starter like Bailey or Cueto at the winter meetings rather than go after Fowler. If you burn Leake on Fowler, and a deal for an elite level prospect or impact big leaguer comes up for another pitcher, then it'd make it very hard to pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 12-03-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Fowler is a free agent after 2015, not 2014. But otherwise, I agree.
    My bad, for some reason I thought it was after this season. Now that I know that, Colorado made itself one supremely awful deal right there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Maybe Walt thinks he can get something more substantial for a starter like Bailey or Cueto at the winter meetings rather than go after Fowler. If you burn Leake on Fowler, and a deal for an elite level prospect or impact big leaguer comes up for another pitcher, then it'd make it very hard to pull the trigger.
    Yeah, that's a reasonable assumption, I suppose. It's a weird off-season that way. It seems like Walt pretty much has to make some moves to improve the offense, but it is difficult to figure out just how he will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My bad, for some reason I thought it was after this season. Now that I know that, Colorado made itself one supremely awful deal right there.
    Agreed. I just don't see how this works out for the Rocks. They got very little value in return for a pretty valuable player.

Yeah, that's a reasonable assumption, I suppose. It's a weird off-season that way. It seems like Walt pretty much has to make some moves to improve the offense, but it is difficult to figure out just how he will do it.
    I totally agree on this offseason in general. It has been very odd. Player values seem to be all over the place. But so far it seems Walt has set himself up decently with smaller pieces that give him cushion to move larger pieces. Pena to move Hanigan, Shumaker to maybe move Phillips, and now Holmberg to perhaps create depth to move a starter and put Chapman in the rotation. It really wouldn't surprise me if Holmberg was traded himself if the right deal came up. As of right now, I like the way Walt has set up his options going into the Winter Meetings. Good precursors for something big.

As of right now, I like the way Walt has set up his options going into the Winter Meetings. Good precursors for something big.
    I hope you are right. It seems like Walt needs to do something big, but it is just hard to see how he will. This is where he makes his money, I guess. I didn't see the Latos deal coming either -- a real Jocketty master-stroke if ever there was one.

I hope you are right. It seems like Walt needs to do something big, but it is just hard to see how he will. This is where he makes his money, I guess. I didn't see the Latos deal coming either -- a real Jocketty master-stroke if ever there was one.
    True. Walt definitely has a way of working under the radar. I still trust the guy, especially in the offseason. He has really made two of the most impactful deals of the last two offseasons in Latos and Choo. I'm sure he has something up his sleeve. December always seems to be his most productive month.

True. Walt definitely has a way of working under the radar. I still trust the guy, especially in the offseason. He has really made two of the most impactful deals of the last two offseasons in Latos and Choo. I'm sure he has something up his sleeve. December always seems to be his most productive month.
    I liked the Choo deal, too, but not as much as the Latos trade. Everyone knew Choo would be dealt, it was a question of to whom. With Latos, I don't think anyone but GM's even knew he was on the market.

Turn Off Ads?