Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ellsbury to the Yankees

Re: Ellsbury to the Yankees

From the Reds point of view, if this contract rules out a Cano re-signing, that means that our two main hypothetical trading chips, Phillips and Bailey, fill major Yankee needs. Can we construct a potential Krusty-esque slobberknocker trade?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You really think any savings owners receive from a salary cap are going to go back to the fan?
    Savings don't go to the fans, but spending increases certainly do.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Their problem of the moment is that they're going to have to buy a new core to replace the one on the way out. In retrospect, it's mildly shocking the Yankees didn't grab Chapman, Cespedes or Puig when they were on the market.
    Yes, the Yanks of the 90's went big in Latin America. That seems to have stopped.

This phenomenon isn't limited to NYY. You see teams with nice cores add pieces to get over the top, year-after-year, while the core ages. It happened to Philly recently. The difference is that they Yankees can keep it going a lot longer before they have cry uncle and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That smartest thing for MLB would be to put another team in the metro NY area. Or ideally a team in say Connecticut that would bite into both the Yankees and RedSox.

Look south, once the Orioles were huge market-shifting buyers. After the Expos moved to DC, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Actually, they don't. Teams charge the ticket prices they believe their market will bear. Whatever optimizes their revenue is what they charge.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (12-04-2013)

I was listening to Mad Dog Radio this morning and some Yankee blowhard called up saying he loved the signing. Said Ellsbury was a 5 star player and was going to drive in 80 and hit 20-25 HR's as a Yankee. Steve Phillips (yea I know) took him to task. Said if he drives in 80+ it will be the second time in his career he does that. Said it wasn't like Ellsbury was constantly hitting deep flies to RF that would fly out of Yankee stadium. Basically said that Ellsbury as an opposite field hitter wouldn't see much of a power bump at all.

Personally I think Ellsbury's name carried more weight than his actual game did. When you sign a player to a big contract you don't want someone to say "If he stays healthy..." For a player who relies on his legs and had an injured past that is an awful lot of money. I would have loved to see Ellsbury patrolling CF for the Reds, but that is too much money for what I think he will provide.

On a related note, Ellsbury is lucky, Brian McCann can teach him the proper baseball etiquette now that they are teammates.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I'm not hearing much anger up here, Ellsbury never showed much personality so there isn't that personal connection that makes fans feel betrayed. And also because the contract looks gigantic and nobody feels like the Red Sox should have come anywhere close to matching it and everyone understands Ellsbury taking it.
    Well that's good. A friend of mine on Twitter last night was NOT happy at all about the signing so I wasn't sure how anyone else had reacted yet. Of course she was also still annoyed that Boston signed AJ Perz. when this news broke so that might have added to her unhappiness about Ellsbury, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Hitting is the new pitching.
    What's the Moneyball strategem in this environment? My thinking is that the hitters need to change their approach but are slow to do so. The Braves had two regulars with sub-Mendoza BA's.

Offense is dear because grip-it-and-rip-it is dying on the warning tracks of the world. Organizations may need to change their development regimes.

Ellsbury's contract is the 3rd-largest ever given to an OFer. Only ManRam and Kemp have had larger (both 8/$160). If you go by yearly average, Ellsbury's 7/$153 is No. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    What's the Moneyball strategem in this environment? My thinking is that the hitters need to change their approach but are slow to do so. The Braves had two regulars with sub-Mendoza BA's.

Offense is dear because grip-it-and-rip-it is dying on the warning tracks of the world. Organizations may need to change their development regimes.
    If you look at the era that we're suddenly in, it's a lot like pre-1993 MLB, except with more power. The pitching can mow through lineups, but there's a more consistent threat that someone is going to drill one.

OB, technically, should be at a premium, though with OB down leaguewide other abilities - power, speed, defense - play a larger role in winning games. The odd thing teams may overpay for those other abilities and ignore players who excel at OB a bit because they don't check off some of the other boxes. Getting to the point, I suspect there's some more Matt Carpenters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Ellsbury's contract is the 3rd-largest ever given to an OFer. Only ManRam and Kemp have had larger (both 8/$160). If you go by yearly average, Ellsbury's 7/$153 is No. 1.
    Isn't Josh Hamilton's yearly average higher?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If you look at the era that we're suddenly in, it's a lot like pre-1993 MLB, except with more power. The pitching can mow through lineups, but there's a more consistent threat that someone is going to drill one.

OB, technically, should be at a premium, though with OB down leaguewide other abilities - power, speed, defense - play a larger role in winning games. The odd thing teams may overpay for those other abilities and ignore players who excel at OB a bit because they don't check off some of the other boxes. Getting to the point, I suspect there's some more Matt Carpenters out there.
    I did a quick check, from the recent height of scoring, Y2K, to last year.

HR's are down 18%, BB's down 20%, Hits down 7%, Doubles down 8%

Looking at that, a GM could fixate on upping the Homers and Walks (which are linked, of course). But the Homers are Walks are gone. Better to get your base-hit on, with a smidge of speed on the side.

Matt Carpenter is a great example. Or even -- to pick a guy at random -- Joey Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Isn't Josh Hamilton's yearly average higher?
    Maybe. I was just going by a list of the top 5 largest OF contracts in overall dollars, then getting yearly average for those. On that list it was 1. Ramirez 2. Kemp 3. Ellsbury 4. Crawford 5. Soriano

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I did a quick check, from the recent height of scoring, Y2K, to last year.
    I don't think Y2K is all that applicable. It was just a completely different environment. I'd check against more similar eras and look to spot the differences.

I'll go on record. I think this will go down as a bad contract. Too much money for too many years, for an oft-injured 30 year old with minimal power. I'm ok with McCann's deal for Yanks but no this one.

18. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-08-2018)

Turn Off Ads?