Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds unlikely to trade Phillips per Rosenthal

Re: Reds unlikely to trade Phillips per Rosenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Rosenthal has posted his full story

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/c...ter-all-120313
    Yea, I expected Rosenthal to be better than this.

The Reds discussed Phillips with the New York Yankees earlier in the offseason, and later received inquiries from teams on his 10-team no-trade list. None of those discussions was serious, sources said.

A trade still is possible if a team makes a substantial offer, but the Reds are not actively shopping Phillips, sources said. Clubs in need of second basemen also can consider free agents such as Robinson Cano and Omar Infante.

I think it will tell more on Phillips if he shows up at Redsfest now. Because if he's there, the attention will be put on his interactions, and questions to the front office about him.

If he's not there because, as he has said, they don't want him there, then I don't see how they plan on bringing him back.

While if he's not there because, he is the one holding out, then that would just give the Reds more reason to trade him.

Either way, him being there would be the most obvious sign that he is staying.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the Reds are just trying to get some leverage again to deal BP and trying to quiet things down in front of Redsfest. If they were really set on trading him I don't see why that would have all of a sudden changed.

Also the beat writers did not start this whole BP to be traded rumor. Those guys don't really break much news. That came from some in the national media. And BP didn't just complain about his contract he called Bob Castellini a liar. It is a little bit different.

Bottom line: Rosenthal and Leatherpants both believe they can access Walt Jocketty's mind and report on what is in there. I believe you could go to a lady on the beach with a tarot deck and pretty much get the same news.
    Where we gonna go?

5. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (12-04-2013),Carin4Narron (12-04-2013),HeatherC1212 (12-04-2013),jwertz (12-04-2013),Tom Servo (12-04-2013),wlf WV (12-04-2013)

I, personally, hope he remains a Red.

I can't, realistically, put a better option out on the field, or in the line-up.

Anyone care to help me out with that?

7. Likes:

jimbo (12-04-2013),Stingray (12-04-2013)

swag
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-04-2013)

https://twitter.com/jaysonst

I've talked to 3 clubs that inquired on Brandon Phillips. All got impression #Reds ownership wanted to move him more than front office did

11. Likes:

757690 (12-04-2013),Chip R (12-04-2013)

Jayson Stark: I've talked to 3 clubs that inquired on Brandon Phillips. All got impression #Reds ownership wanted to move him more than front office did

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Jayson Stark: I've talked to 3 clubs that inquired on Brandon Phillips. All got impression #Reds ownership wanted to move him more than front office did
    This is getting ugly. Can't imagine him staying with a rift between him and ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    This is getting ugly. Can't imagine him staying with a rift between him and ownership.
    Bob best not drive deals with his personality wants, leave the talent to the talent handlers. IF he has problems with his non-baseball activities then attack that aspect of his persona as an owner.

IE don't cut your nose off to spite your face

15. Likes:

757690 (12-04-2013),Chip R (12-04-2013),dabvu2498 (12-04-2013),REDREAD (12-04-2013),Revering4Blue (12-04-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (12-04-2013),Tom Servo (12-04-2013)

Not sure what to make of this. Every one of the dozens of hosts, experts and guests on MLB Network -- including Rosenthal himself -- has been saying for weeks that there is no chance Phillips would be a Red in 2014. Zero.

EDIT: Just saw the Stark tweet. That would explain it, I guess.

I haven't read the thread through, but the title made me think of a plaque in my wife's hometown of Jefferson City, Missouri (Sam LeCure's home too) which commemorating a battle that never occurred during the Civil War.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

18. Likes:

757690 (12-04-2013),RedTeamGo! (12-04-2013)

So how are the Reds going to improve on the 2013 version?

Right now we:
    1) lose Arroyo
    2) likely lose Choo
    3) downgrade from Hanigan to Pena
    4) up grade the bench with Skippy
    5) added a nice prospect to the AAA rotation

Early in the offseason I was lured into the fantasy of wheeler dealer Walt trading Phillips, Bailey or Leake, Hanigan, etc & signing some free agents in a real makeover. Now I'm thinking we will sign a cheap OF to replace Choo & that's about it. The Reds were a 93 win pythag team last year. Lose Choo & we are an 88 win team. The Cards win the division. If we play well then we will be back in the 1 game wild card crapshoot game.

I remember a few years ago when I envied the small market Twins. They made the playoffs most years then got spanked in October. But at least they made the playoffs. Now after experiencing the Reds playoff performances in 3 out of the last 4 years I can say that its not that fun. I'd rather see the team really go for it when they can & then rebuild rather than put a good but not good enough team on the field year after year.

20. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (12-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Not sure what to make of this. Every one of the dozens of hosts, experts and guests on MLB Network -- including Rosenthal himself -- has been saying for weeks that there is no chance Phillips would be a Red in 2014. Zero.

EDIT: Just saw the Stark tweet. That would explain it, I guess.
    Yeah, I can imagine a few reporters crossing paths with an irate Castellini and hearing the message that BP would be traded. Bob has many good qualities, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who speaks in shades of gray. WJ, on the other hand, seems like a diplomatic GM who would never cross his owner -- but might silently resist doing what he says. I would hope that Bob knows Walt well enough not to have this create problems. If he's truly a good owner, this sort of restraint is exactly why he hired Walt to begin with -- and not himself.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

Right now we:
    1) lose Arroyo
    2) likely lose Choo
    I got the sense from Walt that the hope was this would actually be "upgrade from Hanigan to Mesoraco."
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

23. Likes:

757690 (12-04-2013),dubc47834 (12-04-2013),kbrake (12-04-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (12-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

Right now we:
    1) lose Arroyo
    2) likely lose Choo

Early in the offseason I was lured into the fantasy of wheeler dealer Walt trading Phillips, Bailey or Leake, Hanigan, etc & signing some free agents in a real makeover. Now I'm thinking we will sign a cheap OF to replace Choo & that's about it. The Reds were a 93 win pythag team last year. Lose Choo & we are an 88 win team. The Cards win the division. If we play well then we will be back in the 1 game wild card crapshoot game.

I remember a few years ago when I envied the small market Twins. They made the playoffs most years then got spanked in October. But at least they made the playoffs. Now after experiencing the Reds playoff performances in 3 out of the last 4 years I can say that its not that fun. I'd rather see the team really go for it when they can & then rebuild rather than put a good but not good enough team on the field year after year.
    Completely agree with this. If there aren't any more big moves might as well begin the fire sale. The team as it is constructed right now isn't going anywhere IMO.

Turn Off Ads?