Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips gone by mid December?

Re: Phillips gone by mid December?

[QUOTE=Mike Honcho;3011293]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Ken Rosenthall is now saying that league sources doubt Phillips will be traded. They had talks with the Yankees that didn't pan out, and some talks with teams that were on Phillips list of 10 no-trade clause teams.

If Phillips wants to leave maybe they can work around the NTC. Not right now but if things get unbearable if he is a problem.
    Well if Phillips isn't traded this year, I think that the rift between Phillips and Walt is almost impossible to mend. Phillips will either be traded mid-season, or Walt/Phillips will be gone at the end of next season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would be surprised by a midseason trade unless the Reds were completely out of it.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

With Cano signing in Seattle. And Cano was signed as a Centerfielder out of the DR. Could the M's trade for Phillips to save wear and tear on Cano?

NO! He will play 2B for the next 4-5 years then DH. They will sign another hitters or two, and I can see Nelson Cruz going there because they are friends.

I think there is a better chance the Yankees trade for BP...Maybe a three way trade with Seattle? BP goes to New York, Nick Franklin to Cincy, and then Seattle gets someone from New York?

With the signing I am not putting anything as a NO. I feel they want to win now. We could package Phillips and Homer to Seattle and get good return

The Ms will not want Phillips. The Yankees and Braves remain the likeliest partners depending on where Infante signs.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Yankees do not have much remaining in the farm system. So, that is always an issue. we need return NOW

Maybe it's time to bury the hatchet with BP. The Reds have an affordable contract and a pretty darned good 2B even if he is on the downhill side career wise.

Who's gonna fill those shoes?

Rosenthal is thinking that this trade isn't happening after all:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headli...ticleId=278603

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh624 View Post
    With the signing I am not putting anything as a NO. I feel they want to win now. We could package Phillips and Homer to Seattle and get good return
    Why are you so determined to trade Phillips and Homer Bailey together?
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

I thought he wasn't going to fanfest.

John Fay ‏@johnfayman 11m
    Phillips would not talk to the media: "I'm just here for Redsfest." #reds

It sounds like it is more Castelleni that was pissed about the Cincy Mag article. It does sound to me like it is less likely that a trade will be made. The Phillips for Gardner proposed trade by NYC media sounds like a joke to me.

Castelleni seems like a smart guy. Think he may feel that after jerking Phillips chain that he is not going to push a trade that is not good long term.

I like Brandon Phillips. I think he is the best 2B in the game today. But, looking at this club. Our biggest weakness is leadoff hitting and outfield speed.

Last I looked. Phillips does not play either. He is not a patient hitter to bat leadoff. And he is not an outfielder. So, without dismantling the entire club. Who has the most upside to help out this club?. Brandon Phillips. Because of his age. He is not going to command top talent in return. Throw in a pitcher and a starting pitcher. You get more value.

So when looking at our starting staff. Who is going go command the most with marginal results? Homer Bailey. .500 starter who has not lived up to his potential. Send them packing together and you get great return.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh624 View Post
    I like Brandon Phillips. I think he is the best 2B in the game today. But, looking at this club. Our biggest weakness is leadoff hitting and outfield speed.

Last I looked. Phillips does not play either. He is not a patient hitter to bat leadoff. And he is not an outfielder. So, without dismantling the entire club. Who has the most upside to help out this club?. Brandon Phillips. Because of his age. He is not going to command top talent in return. Throw in a pitcher and a starting pitcher. You get more value.

So when looking at our starting staff. Who is going go command the most with marginal results? Homer Bailey. .500 starter who has not lived up to his potential. Send them packing together and you get great return.
    It's never going to happen. that is something out of a video game

Turn Off Ads?