Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will the Reds trade? If anyone.

Re: Who will the Reds trade? If anyone.

I wonder if Bailey could fill the role of the "ace" the Diamondbacks are so hot after?

They do have a plethora of young ML-ready middle infielders. And a guy like Gerardo Parra or AJ Pollock could be interesting. Tyler Skaggs too. Not sure how this possibly improves the team in 2014 however, unless there is a corresponding move.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the Reds acquire a middle of the batting order 2nd or 3rd baseman. Fraizer & a pitcher (Leake, Bailey or Cueto) get moved. Phillips possibly moving to 3rd if a 2nd baseman is acquired. Ludwicks contract keeps him from being traded & also blocks Frazier from playing LF, which makes the latter being the odd man out.

I guess I'll resign myself to the fact that nothing major is going to go down, and then be pleasantly surprised if it does.

5. Likes:

Red Raindog (12-04-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I guess I'll resign myself to the fact that nothing major is going to go down, and then be pleasantly surprised if it does.
    I look at it that way every year. It's the only way to remain sane. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

If the Reds do make a move it will probably be a stopgap centerfielder for a year so Hamilton can improve his skills at Triple A. Coca Crisp is the first to come to mind and he might be available.

Another righthanded hitter would be nice because I don't think Ludwick is the longterm answer. But if you deal Bailey or Phillips you just create another hole on your roster.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I think there's a chance we'll see Chappy traded. If there's a chance Chapman could be a successful starter this year, Price will be the one to know. If there isn't, all the vagueness and constant waffling could fool a team into thinking they're getting a potential ace. I feel like that's been in the mind of Jocketty all around.

The rest of the rotation really depends on payroll flex. Much as we'd like to think that we have the ability to extend both Cueto and Bailey, you need to be throwing serious money around to get that done. A rotation of...

Latos
    Cueto
    Leake
    Cingrani
    Stopgap followed by Stephenson/Holmberg.

...could suffice nicely for next year. Together with restocking a relatively dry farm, it's more reasonable than tying ourselves up by paying #2 starter money if we can't manage it.

Position players seem set in stone barring something drastic or a major signing, IMO. We're on the hook for another year with Luddy, we've got Hamilton getting the callup, and we've got affordable if unimpressive starters in Frazier, Cozart, and Mesoraco. We've got nothing in the system to replace Phillips either.
    Last edited by The DARK; 12-04-2013 at 05:34 PM.

If they don't make any moves, prepare for an 80 something win season.

Things won't get horrible, but it will be just interesting enough to frustrate us all.

10. Likes:

Falls City Beer (12-04-2013), joshua (12-05-2013), marcshoe (12-04-2013)

Typicall the most major, and best, moves that Walt makes come out of nowhere. I would expect that to be the same this time around. He isn't showing his cards, and I'm fine with that. I think this management team knows status quo isn't good enough. Maybe Phillips ends up staying. But somebody's moving.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I look at it that way every year. It's the only way to remain sane. :O)
    Remain sane? Where's the fun in that?

3 way deal between reds, yankees, dbacks

Dbacks get:
    Cueto-Searching for ace

Reds get:
    Prado-plays 2nd
    Gardner-plays center/left

Yankees get:
    Phillips

Sign Homer to extension

I know it opens up new holes on the teams but its the offseason...stuff gets done to fill those holes in the offseason

I'm going to guess that Walt finds a way to add a major piece, even if I'm not sure how. Maybe a free agent outfielder, maybe a trade involving Leake and/or a minor leaguer not named Stephenson. I'm personally opposed to trading Homer anyway. If they're going to compete, they need him. If the team is out of it in July and Bailey hasn't extended, trade him then.

15. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    3 way deal between reds, yankees, dbacks

Dbacks get:
    Cueto-Searching for ace

Reds get:
    Prado-plays 2nd
    Gardner-plays center/left

Yankees get:
    Phillips

Sign Homer to extension

I know it opens up new holes on the teams but its the offseason...stuff gets done to fill those holes in the offseason
    I was thinking about trying to get Prado & an OF (Eaton, Parra) from the Diamondbacks. Prado has a career OBP of 343. He can play 2B/3B/OF & backup at SS.

Chapman & Frazier for Prado & Parra? Then sign the last good reliever left after the game of musical closers stops. If no closer is available cheap then go with Hoover & upgrade the pen mid season if needed.

Cueto or Bailey could also go in the right deal with Chapman then going into the rotation.

Walt won't make a trade just for the sake of making one. I think he as much as anybody knows we need more offense. He's been on record multiple times saying, "Choo is a big gap to fill." And if we're in the business of firing managers for not getting past the first round of the playoffs, you better bet he's going to give the new manager a roster capable of getting further in the playoffs. Right now, the Cards look really damn good. And I hate to admit it, but the Pirates look formidable as well. The deals may not be obvious but there's one out there and as Walt has proven in the past, he'll find one that none of us could have predicted. There's just enough movable pieces on the ML roster and on the farm to work something out and make this team better. Patience.
    Just call me Legs

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I'm going to guess that Walt finds a way to add a major piece, even if I'm not sure how. Maybe a free agent outfielder, maybe a trade involving Leake and/or a minor leaguer not named Stephenson. I'm personally opposed to trading Homer anyway. If they're going to compete, they need him. If the team is out of it in July and Bailey hasn't extended, trade him then.
    Needs:

* At the VERY minimum, the Reds need to go outside the organization for one starting OFer (LF or CF) - preferably two both. A free agent (like Choo, Beltran or Granderson) would be nice since they don't require a talent cost (except for a draft pick in Curtis' case).

* They also need at least one young IF who has some skills with the bat and can field SS. If BP is dealt they need two - one should be a LH or SH bat.

* I'd would also want 2 very strong OF bats (at least on RH and one who hits from the left - or both).

* Strong young arms (starting or bullpen/left or right) as well as near-ready high-ceiling Infielders and Catchers are always a good idea as additions to deals.

Chips:

* While I don't think its a given, I think Phillips is still very much on the block no matter what the front office may say publicly- he is dealable, his return can probably fill one or two spots nicely and there has been to much smoke around him being dealt for there to not be something still smoldering at the very least

* One of Bailey, Cueto, Leake or Chapman - a gamble hard to pull the trigger on (and not to be given away) but dealing one might improve multiple spots. Probably can't sign Latos, Cueto, AND Bailey (hope I'm wrong) and I don't thing the Reds can afford to just let top guys walk for no more than a late 1st.

* One of Ludwick, Heisey., Cozart or Frazier if including them in a deal brings a significantly better return and they are replaced in a deal

* One or two bullpen arms

* Anyone on the farm not named Hamilton, Ervin, Winker or Stephenson (and any of them except Stephenson if the return is sweet enough). In my mind, Stephenson's arm, potential and controllability (especially with the clock ticking faster like it is on Latos, Cueto, Bailey, Leake & Chapman) make him truly untouchable.

I would be extremely disappointed if this team went to Spring Training with out having made two major trades or Free Agent signings at the very least. I also would be very worried about the Reds prospects for 2014 and beyond.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-05-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Remain sane? Where's the fun in that?
    Simple. Reveling in the pure joy of laughing and mocking those who AREN'T sane.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?