Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who will the Reds trade? If anyone.

Re: Who will the Reds trade? If anyone.

At this point I have no clue what they could do to bolster the offense realistically. Even if they wanted to do something drastic and cash in their biggest chips who could they possibly get that fills a need?

Say they just decided they were dead set on getting an OF who could play some CF then move to a corner position next season. If they were inclined to get one they probably could, moving Stephenson and other prospects to get a frontline OF who is still under control reasonably, because if money was not an issue then they would just go after Choo. The only current top CF who might be somewhat available is probably Carlos Gomez and I do not think you cash in your chips for a possible fluke season like Gomez.

So basically I have no clue what to do at this point. If Jocketty comes up with something my hat is off to him. Like others said it might be time to just hope pitching carries you and get some "timely" hitting.
    Last edited by RadfordVA; 12-05-2013 at 09:34 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

In a way, this is a "two roads" situation.

Road one: If the Reds somehow could retain Choo, then they improve the offense with some bench upgrades, Ludwick's health, and hopefully better hitting from Mesoraco and Frazier.

Road two: If they don't keep Choo, then it's hard to see the Reds improving the offense. They might sign someone to replace Choo, but that person would likely be a major step down and probably wouldn't leave much room for more. They could trade for someone but hard to see the package Reds would offer, particularly if they keep Bailey. With the talk of Chappy in the pen, Bailey will likely not be traded. Trading BP creates another void at second base.

In light of the Ellbury signing it's very hard to see the Reds affording Choo. Yet they still seem interested and appear to still be in the hunt.

I am hoping for the best (retaining Choo) because that is really the key to a better 2014.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-05-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    In light of the Ellbury signing it's very hard to see the Reds affording Choo. Yet they still seem interested and appear to still be in the hunt.
    Other than wishcasting on message boards what leads you to the conclusion that the reds are "still in the hunt" for Choo?

Assuming the reds are still players in the great "get Choo" game. Given the Ellsbury signing what do you think Choo will get?

Do you think it would be a good thing for the reds to tie up that kind of money in Choo?

I just assume that the answer to the second question is "too much for the reds" and the answer to the third question is "no" which makes the answer to if the reds are still in the hunt for Choo a "no" as well. It's just hard for me to make the numbers add up in a way that makes sense for the home town nine.

I believe that since the Yankees took Ellsbury from the Sox that the sox will sign Choo.
    Last edited by dfs; 12-05-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

5. Likes:

malcontent (12-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Other than wishcasting on message boards what leads you to the conclusion that the reds are "still in the hunt" for Choo?

Assuming the reds are still players in the great "get Choo" game. Given the Ellsbury signing what do you think Choo will get?

Do you think it would be a good thing for the reds to tie up that kind of money in Choo?

I just assume that the answer to the second question is "too much for the reds" and the answer to the third question is "no" which makes the answer to if the reds are still in the hunt for Choo a "no" as well. It's just hard for me to make the numbers add up in a way that makes sense for the home town nine.

I believe that since the Yankees took Ellsbury from the Sox that the sox will sign Choo.
    As part of my phone call with Reds GM Walt Jocketty about today’s trade, I asked for an update on talks with free agent Shin-Soo Choo. It’s been rather quiet but the Reds are still in the hunt for Choo’s services.

The Tigers and Reds also are said to have shown interest in Beltran, but both those teams, as well as the Rangers for that matter, are also strongly in on Shin-Soo Choo. A Rangers contingent visited with Choo on Tuesday in Southern California, as Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reported.
    - cbssports

I still think someone like Coco Crisp makes a lot of sense as a trade target. I don't know if the A's trade for Gentry makes him more or less available now however.

I would love to see what a deal for Crisp/Lowrie would cost, I think that would really help the Reds at CF and SS. Both are on expiring contracts, so the cost shouldn't be through the roof, but you never know.

I have read that they are hesitant to trade Lowrie, only in the want him for one more season, while they wait on Russell to be ready.

If that kind of trade isn't there, I would see what could happen with Nate McClouth, and perhaps Eric Chavez as free agents.

9. Likes:

mth123 (12-06-2013)

I thought I read from the Jocketty interview the other day that he said he hasn't talked to Choo's agent in 3 weeks.

1. I follow the rumor pages and Walt's public statements pretty closely and I conclude that the Reds are very much interested in Choo and will bid on him until the end. Even though they may not have talked in the last few weeks.

2. It's hard for me to see the Reds affording Choo, he obviously will be north of $100 million aggregate. But I didn't think they could afford Votto or even Phillips. Unlike some on RedsZone, I don't claim to understand the team's finances and, more importantly, projected finances.

3. Jocketty has always followed the pattern of acquiring players in trades and then finding a way to retain them. Again, Choo is highly priced, I'm not predicting it. It seems unlikely, but it is his way as a GM.

4. Would it be good for the Reds as an organization? It's impossible for me to know. I don't know the team's projected revenues. I don't know whether Bailey or Latos want to re-sign. I don't know what's really going on with Phillips and his $50 million.

I do know that Choo is a heck of a ballplayer who seemed to like Cincy and may see an attraction in staying there. I don't see most top free agents prioritizing the Reds. So it is an opportunity if the numbers can be worked out.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-05-2013 at 12:02 PM.

12. Likes:

dfs (12-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    1. I follow the rumor pages and Walt's public statements pretty closely and I conclude that the Reds are very much interested in Choo and will bid on him until the end. Even though they may not have talked in the last few weeks.

2. It's hard for me to see the Reds affording Choo, he obviously will be north of $100 million aggregate. But I didn't think they could afford Votto or even Phillips. Unlike some on RedsZone, I don't claim to understand the team's finances and, more importantly, projected finances.

3. Jocketty has always followed the pattern of acquiring players in trades and then finding a way to retain them. Again, Choo is highly priced, I'm not predicting it. It seems unlikely, but it is his way as a GM.

4. Would it be good for the Reds as an organization? It's impossible for me to know. I don't know the team's projected revenues. I don't know whether Bailey or Latos want to re-sign. I don't know what's really going on with Phillips and his $50 million.

I do know that Choo is a heck of a ballplayer who seemed to like Cincy and may see an attraction in staying there. I don't see most top free agents prioritizing the Reds. So it is an opportunity if the numbers can be worked out.
    If the Reds are able to retain Choo (not letting my hopes get too high) and he starts the season in CF with Billy @ L'Ville, then I would see about making a deal for a strong LF platoon partner (Matt Joyce?) for Ludwick.

Assuming they don't have to move Phillips to afford Choo, I'd be quite fine with a lineup of:

CF Shin-Soo Choo (L)
    2B Brandon Phillips (R)
    1B Joey Votto (L)
    LF Ryan Ludwick (R)/Matt Joyce (L)
    RF Jay Bruce (L)
    3B Todd Frazier (R)
    CA Devin Mesaraco (R)/Brayan Pena (B)
    SS Zach Cozart (R)

IF ??? (young MI with offensive skills and able to defend SS/2B/3B - a SH would be nice)
    UT Skip Schumaker (L)
    OF Chris Heisey (or Upgrade)
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-05-2013 at 12:34 PM.

14. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (12-05-2013), Kc61 (12-05-2013)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    IF ??? (young MI with offensive skills and able to defend SS/2B/3B - a SH would be nice)
    Those guys aren't exactly out there for the taking. If he's young and can do those things, he's almost certainly NOT available -- at least not at a price that could be justified for a bench spot. The Cubbies non-tendered Darwin Barney -- that might be as close as you get.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Those guys aren't exactly out there for the taking. If he's young and can do those things, he's almost certainly NOT available -- at least not at a price that could be justified for a bench spot. The Cubbies non-tendered Darwin Barney -- that might be as close as you get.
    I think that there are several young guys that might be obtainable and fit the description. Right off the top of my head would be the guy below who was just acquired by the Yanks from the PODs. If Cano goes elsewhere and the Yanks were to want Phillips, Anna I one of the names I want in return possibly with Gardner and a pitcher if the deal is expanded.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/team/...level='ALL'

If the Reds want to move some minor leaguers for major league help, they have some options.

Right now the organization has four quality OF prospects. Phillip Ervin can't be dealt because he just got drafted (and I suspect he'd be untouchable even if he could be dealt). Billy Hamilton is a guy I don't want to see dealt, but if he'd fetch a Yoenis Cespedes I'd probably do it. Mind you, I'd first try to substitute Jesse Winker for Hamilton (nothing against Winker, but I'd rather keep Hamilton). And then there's Yorman Rodriguez. I don't know what he's going to be in the future. Given the presence of the other three kid OFs, it would be really hard to pass up a solid starting major league OF for him.

On the pitching side, Stephenson is untouchable. Corcino, unfortunately, is likely unwanted. Lorenzen and Lively just got drafted, so they're not eligible for a trade. I'd say that leaves three young arms who might have some market value:

David Holmberg - I know he just arrived, but I suspect he'll ranks as the #2 pitching prospect in the organization in most prospect lists. I'd prefer to keep him, but - push comes to shove - I'd move him for a bat I'd really like.

Nick Travieso - Still has that 1st round pick smell even though he's been forgettable on the mound. I'm sure the Reds would rather keep him because they believe he has a lot of untapped upside, but if a team is insisting it needs a meaningful pitching prospect for a player the Reds really want, I don't see how you land on anyone other than Travieso. He's the kid you deal there. As an aside, this is why Corcino's plunge is a big blow, because he'd be the most obvious trading chip arm had he retained some semblance of prospect status.

Amir Garrett - For the record, I don't consider Garrett more than a fringe prospect. However, he's big, athletic and left-handed, which creates that "if we can teach him to pitch" specter. He may not be very good, but he is fascinating. Some team might jump all over that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

18. Likes:

mth123 (12-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?