Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2013-14 Indiana Pacers

Re: 2013-14 Indiana Pacers

And, Miami is losing again, this time by 14 @ halftime to a Roseless Chicago.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's so cold in Portland right now. Record lows the last three days and record lows for the next three days coming.

But, the coldest I've ever lived was six months in Indianapolis. At one point, there were ten straight days where the temperature never got above zero (Winter of 1980-81). There were days where the windchill was minus-56 degrees. Still had to go outside and get to places, but everything was covered up except the lips, nose, cheeks and eyes. It felt like needles going through the skin.

Went to a Pacers game that season and saw them play Philadelphia and Julius Erving. "Doc" was wearing a full-length white fur coat and a white fur hat. It was classic. My friend walked onto the team bus and shook his hand. We were 21, so what the heck. I didn't go on the bus.
    That was quite an era, Billy Knight, Johnny Davis, George McGinnis, Jack McKinney. I don't know if you remember or if you even knew but attendance was so bad in those days they used to have drapes come down around the half way point of the upper level of MSA I think in part to hide the embarrassing number of empty seats.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-06-2013)

A nice post, Kingspoint, with many good points. I'm not going to get ahead of myself and count chickens before they hatch, I'm just going to enjoy it and deal with the Playoffs once they commence.

I totally get what you're saying about the playoff dynamics in today's Western conference vs the East. In a way, it sort of reminds of the days in which Showtime Lakers, an enormously talented Mavericks team in '88 -- ran roughshod through a weak conference on their way to the finals. Honestly, Jordan's Bulls were rarely challenged in the East, while Western Conference teams beat each other up -- particularly '93, when Cedric Ceballos was injured in the Suns/Sonics WCF -- and didn't have much left for the finals.

Neil Olshey, at this point deserves consideration for executive of the year for his work in Portland. The trade for Robin Lopez plugged the middle and, much like in Indiana, the bench was fortified to the point where Meyers Leonard and Allen Crabbe can't find playing time. As I stated before, C.J McCollum will be a good one, IMO. We almost got a Pacers/Blazers final in 2000, maybe we'll see one in the near future.

It would tick the networks off, though.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    That was quite an era, Billy Knight, Johnny Davis, George McGinnis, Jack McKinney. I don't know if you remember or if you even knew but attendance was so bad in those days they used to have drapes come down around the half way point of the upper level of MSA I think in part to hide the embarrassing number of empty seats.
    Yep.

The Pacers made the playoffs in '81, though, which would prove to be their last until '87; right before Reggie Miller was drafted. After the '81 season, the Pacers made possibly the biggest blunder in franchise history:

After losing center James Edwards as a free-agent, the front office panicked and gave up an "84 first round pick to Portland for journeyman center Tom "on the road again" Owens. The Pick could have been used to draft Michael Jordan and it is of no consolation that Portland drafted Sam Bowie with the pick.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    there's no guarantee that granger would be happy with that role. he used to be the guy. i think if you can get a pick for him, you trade him. and a borderline contender may go for that, but i guess his health will play into it heavily.
    At this point, Granger is valuable anyway for his ensuing expiring contract. Nevertheless, Granger has indicated his focus is on winning a championship, and that he's fine with playing a secondary role off the bench. Plus, he stands a much better chance of remaining healthy playing reduced minutes.

Think about it..The bench -- realistically, the reason that the Pacers didn't reach the finals last year -- has been re-invigorated. Granger's presence could well be the component that pushes this team over the top.

8. Likes:

George Anderson (12-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

After losing center James Edwards as a free-agent, the front office panicked and gave up an "84 first round pick to Portland for journeyman center Tom "on the road again" Owens. The Pick could have been used to draft Michael Jordan and it is of no consolation that Portland drafted Sam Bowie with the pick.
    How about the 1978 draft when the Pacers passed on that Indiana State forward that Red Auerbach gobbled up.

and reds fans think their decision makers are dummys.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2013)

Of course, Johnny Davis and Jack McKinney I saw dozens of times as Blazers in the old Memorial Coliseum.

I can't remember what it looked like (the Indianapolis Stadium), but it was my idea to go to the game, and my buddy went along. We hitch-hiked home that night (to Fort Ben Harrison). Just had to make sure we made 8:00 a.m. roll-call. We both actually went to the infirmary that morning. Needed an excuse not to go to school that day. (Didn't do it any other days, but needed it that morning.)

We almost got a Pacers/Blazers final in 2000, maybe we'll see one in the near future.

It would tick the networks off, though.
    David Stern would never allow it, though he's stepping down in January/February...YES!

How about the 1978 draft when the Pacers passed on that Indiana State forward that Red Auerbach gobbled up.

and reds fans think their decision makers are dummys.
    Those of us out here believe it was pure shenanigans by the NBA....gee...Patrick Ewing to New York. Who'd a thunk it?

Those of us out here believe it was pure shenanigans by the NBA....gee...Patrick Ewing to New York. Who'd a thunk it?
    The dog-eared Lottery envelope. IMO, that's the reason that the Lottery procedures are different today.

Do you think the NBA pushed Bird to agree to a contract with the NBA's beloved Celtics that he never would have agreed with the Pacers, Blazers or another? Is that the shenaningans your thinkin? Because they way I saw it the Pacers screwed up by trading away the pick to the Blazers. But I have been known to be kinda naïve at times.

And, Miami is losing again, this time by 14 @ halftime to a Roseless Chicago.
    With his on-again/off-again status, Dwyane Wade is becoming the Bill Walton of two guards.

Do you think the NBA pushed Bird to agree to a contract with the NBA's beloved Celtics that he never would have agreed with the Pacers, Blazers or another? Is that the shenaningans your thinkin? Because they way I saw it the Pacers screwed up by trading away the pick to the Blazers. But I have been known to be kinda naïve at times.
    Actually, Bird was still on the board when the Pacers picked third after trading the top pick to Portland for Johnny Davis and the #3 pick. Slick Leonard claimed that ownership didn't want to draft Bird without assurances that Bird would suit up that season. That was the miscue because Bird didn't sign with Boston until shortly before the '79 draft; if he hadn't, he'd have gone back into the draft and the Celtics would have lost his rights.

The Pacers actually made a positive out of the '78 draft by sending draft pick Rick Robey to Boston to bring back Billy Knight, who had been traded in early '77, IIRC, to Buffalo for Adrian Dantley.

Actually, Bird was still on the board when the Pacers picked third after trading the top pick to Portland for Johnny Davis and the #3 pick. Slick Leonard claimed that ownership didn't want to draft Bird without assurances that Bird would suit up that season. That was the miscue because Bird didn't sign with Boston until shortly before the '79 draft; if he hadn't, he'd have gone back into the draft and the Celtics would have lost his rights.

The Pacers actually made a positive out of the '78 draft by sending draft pick Rick Robey to Boston to bring back Billy Knight, who had been traded in early '77, IIRC, to Buffalo for Adrian Dantley.
    That's right....I don't know my Pacer history quite like my Red Legs history.

Between the Bird blunder and the bad luck with injuries to Clark Kellogg and Steve Stipanovich. Missing out on Patrick Ewing, Ralph Sampson, MJ and oh so many others made it a tough time to be a Pacers fan.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2013)

Bird has come back to bring Indiana a Championship another way. In a town with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck, it's going to be the Pacers who are the Winter Stars, while it will also be the Pacers, who are the Stars come June, where the Indy 500 will have to take a back-seat for the first time to another Sport in Indy at that time of the year.

I don't know how the NBA got Bird to the Celtics, I'm just sure there was shenanigans involved. Once Stern got involved as General Council in 1978, his influence shaped the league in ugly ways. Larry O'Brien was awesome. Loved Larry O'Brien (former Commissioner replaced by Stern in 1984). Very, very honest individual. I don't know if Stern has done anything honest in his whole life. Stern quickly rose in the NBA becoming Executive Vice-President in 1980.

Yes, the NBA became popular with lot's of money made by many people, but it's over-priced for the average person, while most of the arenas are never filled. It's a very distorted product when trying to judge them by the word "successful". My love for basketball is what keeps me watching. The league itself I find kind of disgusting. I'm hoping the product will improve with the retirement of Stern.

None of these teams today would defeat any of the teams from the 1980's or the 1990's. Basketball is and always will be a team game, no matter how much Stern tried to make it about individual players in order to sell merchandise around the world. Right now, Indiana is the closest thing to a quality team worthy of competing against the best teams of the 1980's and 1990's. It's really a great team run by a great President and a great G.M.

Turn Off Ads?