Thread: 2013 Reds Minor League Awards

2013 Reds Minor League Awards

Player of the Year: Seth Mejias-Brean

Hitter of the Year: Jesse Winker

Pitcher of the Year: Robert Stephenson

Community Service: Brent Peterson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2013 Reds Minor League Awards

Congrats to all these guys. Especially glad to see recognition for SMB, who really impressed me in 2013.

4. Likes:

HokieRed (12-07-2013)

I am told that Seth had a tremendous instructional league season and will win the Dernell Stenson award.

On a lighter note, Seth won the whiffle ball Home Run Derby last night at RedsFest. Funny thing, some players just couldn't do it. Seth is one of those people that just has a knack for being able to do anything well...ie All-state quarterback, all-region basketball player, plays great defense along with being a good hitter. Academic award winner. Didn't someone come across something about him being a great bowler?

As a person, he is as non-pretentious and old-school as they come. Will be the last player to sign up for Twitter. Absolutely no ego. Very nice person, though rather quiet. Plays hard between the lines.

If you ever get tired of the antics of the "it's all about me" attitude sometimes seen in pro sports, this is your guy. If you can't root for a guy like this, who can you root for?
    Last edited by redsof72; 12-07-2013 at 12:58 PM.

6. Likes:

lollipopcurve (12-07-2013),mace (12-07-2013),OGB (12-14-2013),PepperJack (12-08-2013),RadfordVA (12-08-2013),RED VAN HOT (12-07-2013),VottoFan54 (12-07-2013)

I am told that Seth had a tremendous instructional league season and will win the Dernell Stenson award.

On a lighter note, Seth won the whiffle ball Home Run Derby last night at RedsFest. Funny thing, some players just couldn't do it. Seth is one of those people that just has a knack for being able to do anything well...ie All-state quarterback, all-region basketball player, plays great defense along with being a good hitter. Academic award winner. Didn't someone come across something about him being a great bowler?

As a person, he is as non-pretentious and old-school as they come. Will be the last player to sign up for Twitter. Absolutely no ego. Very nice person, though rather quiet. Plays hard between the lines.

If you ever get tired of the antics of the "it's all about me" attitude sometimes seen in pro sports, this is your guy. If you can't root for a guy like this, who can you root for?
    Great post.

One of the things that struck me about him was his mental approach. Same routine every pitch -- but without having to climb out of the box, adjust everything, and climb back in. And he'd take a solid, disciplined AB every time. Doesn't ooze tools, but has them. And presents, as you say 72, as a guy who knows that it's going to take more than his tools to be successful. Which I think he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post

Great endorsement. . . . The remark about some players not being able to hit a wiffle ball reminded me of a scene several years back at spring training in Sarasota. The Reds broke up into small groups to play some pepper. Those of us of a certain vintage have probably played our share of pepper, and it's not difficult. The ball is lobbed from about 15-20 feet away and you just chop it into the ground toward one of the fielders spread out in a line. But when it was Brandon Larson's turn to bat, he simply couldn't do it. He'd either miss the ball or slug it over somebody's head--anything but place it on the ground in somebody's direction. I was flabbergasted that a professional ballplayer couldn't, for the life of him, play pepper.

9. Likes:

HokieRed (12-07-2013),lollipopcurve (12-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Great endorsement. . . . The remark about some players not being able to hit a wiffle ball reminded me of a scene several years back at spring training in Sarasota. The Reds broke up into small groups to play some pepper. Those of us of a certain vintage have probably played our share of pepper, and it's not difficult. The ball is lobbed from about 15-20 feet away and you just chop it into the ground toward one of the fielders spread out in a line. But when it was Brandon Larson's turn to bat, he simply couldn't do it. He'd either miss the ball or slug it over somebody's head--anything but place it on the ground in somebody's direction. I was flabbergasted that a professional ballplayer couldn't, for the life of him, play pepper.
    Wonder if there was some kind of problem with his eyesight. Am I right/wrong in remembering that at one point the FO thought they had him straightened out with a different prescription?

Turn Off Ads?