Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

Re: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

Reed probably has more value than Aroldis Chapman after you factor in contracts due over the next couple of years.

In other words, don't expect much in return for Chapman now that he said he won't start.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Reed is a good relief pitcher with four years of team control, including one more season at league minimum. Who should the Reds have traded for a guy who *might* be a marginal upgrade over Frazier?
    Hoover. In a heartbeat.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Reed probably has more value than Aroldis Chapman after you factor in contracts due over the next couple of years.

In other words, don't expect much in return for Chapman now that he said he won't start.
    If all you value is contracts and team control, maybe. But Reed is Sam LeCure or JJ Hoover who was given a closers role. He wasn't even that good in it.

Chapman is one of the most elite arms in MLB.

I have no doubt Chapman is better, but he's about to be paid a bunch of money to close games out at an elite level. His value in terms of a trade goes down as his salary goes up, especially with teams that don't value the closer role a ton.

I have no doubt Chapman is better, but he's about to be paid a bunch of money to close games out at an elite level. His value in terms of a trade goes down as his salary goes up, especially with teams that don't value the closer role a ton.
    It's a good point, but clearly, at least the Diamondbacks value the closer role a ton, lol.

Indians signed Shaun Marcum to a minor league deal. He would've been nice depth for the rotation.

I know it's unfair to get on Walt's case when you don't know the reasons why someone was or wasn't signed, especially if the player chose another team because he thought he would get more playing time. But, it certainly would be nice to see him do something to improve the club, or at the very least provide depth in case of injury. I mean there has to be more than Skip Schumaker, even if it's not huge, right?

Indians signed Shaun Marcum to a minor league deal. He would've been nice depth for the rotation.

I know it's unfair to get on Walt's case when you don't know the reasons why someone was or wasn't signed, especially if the player chose another team because he thought he would get more playing time. But, it certainly would be nice to see him do something to improve the club, or at the very least provide depth in case of injury. I mean there has to be more than Skip Schumaker, even if it's not huge, right?
    I agree but let's be patient still 3 months till pitchers and catchers report. And we already made the biggest move we could make. Hiring Brian price as manager. I have a feeling his managing is going to help negate the loss of choo. And if we improve the lineup at all it's just gravy

If this winter season goes by and we still have Homer Bailey, I'll consider it a huge success.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Reed is a good relief pitcher with four years of team control, including one more season at league minimum. Who should the Reds have traded for a guy who *might* be a marginal upgrade over Frazier?
    Because he's like 5 years younger if I recall correctly

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    If this winter season goes by and we still have Homer Bailey, I'll consider it a huge success.
    FWIW, I have found the Reds' inaction in the MLB player acquisition department to be very surprising this calendar year. The inaction at the deadline didn't help the ball club. And the inaction this off-season so far is disturbing given the clear team needs.

However, I do take some solace from the complete quiet since the Winter Meetings. Often with the Reds there's quiet before the storm. I'd note that Choo has been quiet of late as well, although he could be working with another team, like the Rangers.

I guess I find it inconceivable that Walt will stick with this ball club, as is, and just have to assume something is on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    \Chapman is one of the most elite arms in MLB.
    There are outing were Chapman is absolutely untouchable and as a fan...boy, those are fun.

But the thing is, those aren't all the outings. You look at save ratio's and such and Chapman blows about as many games as Cordero did. Let's see....

As a Red....Chapman has 77 saves and 13 Blown Saves.
    As a Red...Cordero had 150 saves and....24 Blown Saves.

You can go up and down the list of ways to measure effectiveness and if Chapman is measurably better than other closers it just doesn't show up.

If Chapman is going to be a closer (and all signs are exactly that is what he is going to be) and he's going to paid in the many millions and I can get value for him?....then he should be traded.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

14. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (12-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    FWIW, I have found the Reds' inaction in the MLB player acquisition department to be very surprising this calendar year. The inaction at the deadline didn't help the ball club. And the inaction this off-season so far is disturbing given the clear team needs.

However, I do take some solace from the complete quiet since the Winter Meetings. Often with the Reds there's quiet before the storm. I'd note that Choo has been quiet of late as well, although he could be working with another team, like the Rangers.

I guess I find it inconceivable that Walt will stick with this ball club, as is, and just have to assume something is on the horizon.

This free agent market and trade market is pretty awful. I'm content with the fact that the Reds are giving away valuable pieces for marginal upgrades.

As much as I'd prefer to unload some BP salary, there aren't many moves that would be mutually beneficial that would make sense to me at this point.

What I'd like to see more of is Cast opening that billionaire wallet of his to afford Choo and keep this crop of Reds window open for something more than a wildcard or NLDS loss.

With the free agent market being so poor, there aren't very many teams motivated to let go of their coveted potential future talent...... so let's make the move that makes the most sense at this point.... let's lock up Choo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Don't disagree about the need for action, just don't like the idea of moving Homer, particularly in many of the proposed RZ deals. I don't see us contending without Bailey--not with the uncertainties surrounding Cueto and Cingrani and even, Heaven forbid, Latos. I'm not particularly shocked that they haven't gotten much done. I see no chance of signing Choo at what I've estimated a minimum of 105 for 6 (in light of the Pence contract I don't see how it could be less) and the lack of interest in Phillips tells us what we already know: his contract's too heavy. Besides, he's the third best position player on the team anyway so it's hard to see how any deal involving him, and necessitating a replacement, is likely to help the team. As far as prospects go, we only have two that have both the upside and near major-league readiness that are going to bring immediate everyday help. One, Stephenson, I consider untouchable, the other, Hamilton, is difficult to project. So I think it would take some magic to do a lot in this situation. Walt's good, but I don't think he's that good, and it's not his fault.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-17-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

What indication states that the Reds are looking to deal Homer? They have a promotion this season involving him both with tickets and bobblehead.. Homer isn't going anywhere. Next season is another question.

Turn Off Ads?