Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

Re: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. That's one year of very good vs. two years of average to slightly above average.
    While that may be how it turns out if the peripherals are predictive in this case over the next two years, the bottom line production in terms of runs/earned runs allowed on a per inning basis, did not correspond to that as a reality.

I would certainly expect Bailey to be more productive the next two seasons, but not so much that I would pass off that second year of club control as immaterial.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Marlins are stating Logan Morrison is available and soon to be traded..

I'd go the other way and attempt to buy out Leake's arbitration years and extend him for a couple of years after that. IMO, the Reds have to plan on two more years of Latos and Cueto and that's it. Long term contracts to pitchers are too risky for small market teams. Leake is an excellent athlete who has been healthy and is still improving as a pitcher.

5. Likes:

joshua (12-09-2013),wally post (12-09-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm sure others would have better opinions on the guy, but what about Mark Trumbo. MLBtraderumors is saying the Angels are getting quite a few calls on him. Can he play a passable defense in left? Is his OBP that important if he's hitting cleanup? Simply put, there are not many RH power bats available. I think he's a tempting target.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Nationals Shopping Danny Espinosa

By Luke Adams [December 9 at 4:25pm CST]

The Nationals are shopping Danny Espinosa in trade talks, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter). Passan adds that if the Nats are unable to find a deal they like for Espinosa, the infielder could fill the utility role vacated by Steve Lombardozzi.

After a couple solid seasons in Washington, Espinosa saw his production fall off a cliff in 2013 due in part to injuries. In 2011 and 2012, he was an everyday player for the Nats, hitting 38 homers with a .727 OPS in over 1300 plate appearances.

GM Mike Rizzo told reporters today, including Dan Kolko of MASN.com (Twitter link), that the Nats will be "open-minded" and won't be afraid to make a trade. However, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post says (via Twitter) that he'd be surprised if the team moves Espinosa, having already rebuffed teams like the Rays and Cardinals, who have tried to buy low.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'm sure others would have better opinions on the guy, but what about Mark Trumbo. MLBtraderumors is saying the Angels are getting quite a few calls on him. Can he play a passable defense in left? Is his OBP that important if he's hitting cleanup? Simply put, there are not many RH power bats available. I think he's a tempting target.
    I'd rather sign Michael Morse than give up an asset for Trumbo. Do either of them give you much more than Ludwick though?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Bruce Levine is saying the Dodgers look like they're going to deal for David Price.

They're quickly becoming a very irritating team.
    The Yankees of the West Coast............trying to buy a championship.

When is MLB going to wake up and level the playing field and limit teams to the same salary thresholds? No more buying championships.

I'm a bit concerned that Walt might come away from the meetings with Mark Trumbo or Mike Morse.

Those guys are pyrite. Please, Walt. Stay away from them.
    If the Reds acquired either of these 2, we could see the Reds set a franchise record for the most strikeouts. With Bruce approaching 200, Trumbo would be near the same, then Votto with 130+, Cozy over 100, Ludwick over 100 (if he plays enough), Phillips at 100+, Frazier at 100+, Mesoraco at 100+ if he plays enough. If Hamilton is the CF, he would get 100+ easily. That is a lot of swinging and missing. Not going to win with so many K's.

11. Likes:

CoachBombay (12-10-2013)

They call me "chef"

Every little league and high school coach is gonna throw their remote at the television after seeing all those Ks. Why can't these guys choke up, squash the bug, and put the bat on the ball? If he hitting coach knows anything he'll buy the team one of these: http://www.hittingworld.com/Instruct...p/ins-5000.htm

13. Likes:

jwdoc77 (12-09-2013)

Shin-Soo Choo Talks Reaching Critical Stage?

By Luke Adams [December 9 at 6:06pm CST]

Talks for free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo appear to be reaching a critical stage, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Rosenthal reports that the Rangers and at least one other team are in the mix for one of the top free agents left on the market.

Evan P. Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports (via Twitter) that, after meeting with Nelson Cruz earlier today, Texas still has a meeting lined up with Choo. The Mariners, Tigers, and Reds are among the other clubs who have been linked to Choo during the offseason.

We heard yesterday that Choo's reps will likely use the Jacoby Ellsbury contract as a "guidepost" for their client.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Every little league and high school coach is gonna throw their remote at the television after seeing all those Ks. Why can't these guys choke up, squash the bug, and put the bat on the ball? If he hitting coach knows anything he'll buy the team one of these: http://www.hittingworld.com/Instruct...p/ins-5000.htm
    Because they will have 100 page threads written about their hitting approach on message boards

16. Likes:

jimbo (12-09-2013)

I'm a bit concerned that Walt might come away from the meetings with Mark Trumbo or Mike Morse.

Those guys are pyrite. Please, Walt. Stay away from them.
    I'd stay away from Morse, but Trumbo interests me a bit. His power is legit and his BB rate has climbed each of the past two years. Trumbo with a .330+ OB would be a very dangerous human. If I were a GM, my question to my coaching staff would be "Do you think you can get him there?"

One other thing about Trumbo that gets overlooked a bit is he's not terrible in the OF. He's not good, but he's better than most gorilla hitters out there. Has a pretty good arm.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Throwing your hitting ideas and thoughts out there, are you?

Shin-Soo Choo Talks Reaching Critical Stage

By Luke Adams [December 9 at 6:52pm CST]

6:52pm: The Diamondbacks are in the hunt for Choo, according to Rosenthal (Twitter link). As we heard earlier, Arizona is also very much in the mix for Mark Trumbo, so as Rosenthal notes, it appears the club has several options, including trying to sign Choo and trade for a pitcher, or acquiring Trumbo and signing a free agent pitcher.

Rosenthal adds in a second tweet that Texas and Arizona aren't necessarily the only two teams in on Choo. Other clubs are likely involved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd stay away from Morse, but Trumbo interests me a bit. His power is legit and his BB rate has climbed each of the past two years. Trumbo with a .330+ OB would be a very dangerous human. If I were a GM, my question to my coaching staff would be "Do you think you can get him there?"

One other thing about Trumbo that gets overlooked a bit is he's not terrible in the OF. He's not good, but he's better than most gorilla hitters out there. Has a pretty good arm.
    If the Reds as a staff think they can get Trumbo to the .320-.330 OBP then I agree they should go after him. Not many hitters seem to raise their OBP a great deal on a sustained basis, though. Trumbo has been around long enough you have to wonder if it can be done. I'm certainly not an expert so I'll leave that to the Reds judgement but I hope if they go after him that they feel that way and not just for his status quo production.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?