Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

Re: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

The Dodgers have become the new Yankees. Just spend, spend, spend until something works. Very little thinking or strategy, just sign any superstar or very good player and keep doing it until you win.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone else interested in discussing Leake for Dominic Brown?
    Go BLUE!!!

5. Likes:

mth123 (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Anyone else interested in discussing Leake for Dominic Brown?
    If Leake could fetch Brown I'd be interested although it leaves a hole in the rotation. I don't think Leake would get it done. Either Chapman would have to go into the rotation or Holmberg would have to step up.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    If Leake could fetch Brown I'd be interested although it leaves a hole in the rotation. I don't think Leake would get it done. Either Chapman would have to go into the rotation or Holmberg would have to step up.
    Holmberg, Rogers, or sign a veteran on a one year deal. Leake is better than most 5th starters in baseball, but his production is replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Holmberg, Rogers, or sign a veteran on a one year deal. Leake is better than most 5th starters in baseball, but his production is replaceable.
    Who? Phillip Hughes and his 5 ERA just signed for $24M.

There are around 50 pitchers in MLB right now who are as good as Leake. Nearly all of them are staying put. Name which starters who offer 30 starts, 190 IP and a sub 4 ERA.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (12-16-2013)

I'd trade Bailey for Brown, since it's just one year of Bailey. But not two years of Leake. Quality starting pitching is too hard to find.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Bartolo Colon on a one year contract. He was quite a bit better than Leake last year. 5.71 k/9 with a 2.25 bb/0 is pretty average. What number are you basing top 50 pitcher on? ERA?

Back to the Reds: Anyone else think the complete lack of Reds rumors coming out today means Walt is working on something?
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 12-09-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Bartolo Colon on a one year contract. He was quite a bit better than Leake last year. 5.71 k/9 with a 2.25 bb/0 is pretty average. What number are you basing top 50 pitcher on? ERA?

Back to the Reds: Anyone else think the complete lack of Reds rumors coming out today means Walt is working on something?
    A 41 year old steroid user? No thanks.

There were less than 50 pitchers in MLB that pitched 190 innings last year with any ERA. Reliable starting pitchers are very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    A 41 year old steroid user? No thanks.

There were less than 50 pitchers in MLB that pitched 190 innings last year with any ERA. Reliable starting pitchers are very rare.
    Just an example I pulled out of a hat for a replacement starter on the cheap for one year to bridge the 1 year gap to Stephenson. Colon pitched 190 innings of 2.65 ERA baseball last year. He has proven to be very durable. His age doesn't matter when the deal is only for 1 year. I think Leake is good, but if the Reds are able to get an impact bat for him I think they should do it.

Have to give up something to get something.

Of pitchers with at least 170 innings, Fangraphs has Leake ranked #33 in ERA. He was probably a little lucky, but his xFIP was fringe top 50. Not an ace by any means, but Leake is far from snap-your-fingers replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I'd trade Bailey for Brown, since it's just one year of Bailey. But not two years of Leake. Quality starting pitching is too hard to find.
    Couldn't disagree more. That's one year of very good vs. two years of average to slightly above average.
    Go BLUE!!!

Just an example I pulled out of a hat for a replacement starter on the cheap for one year to bridge the 1 year gap to Stephenson. Colon pitched 190 innings of 2.65 ERA baseball last year. He has proven to be very durable. His age doesn't matter when the deal is only for 1 year. I think Leake is good, but if the Reds are able to get an impact bat for him I think they should do it.

Have to give up something to get something.
    Colon market heating up. Orioles, mets, others. If it's 1 year deal, it'll be significant number, maybe $10M plus.
    12:32pm - 9 Dec 13

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Of pitchers with at least 170 innings, Fangraphs has Leake ranked #33 in ERA. He was probably a little lucky, but his xFIP was fringe top 50. Not an ace by any means, but Leake is far from snap-your-fingers replaceable.
    Well, of course not - but if he is able to bring back an impact bat I would have to pull the trigger. The offense is not getting any better without Choo and we are able to add an OF bat for the price of Leake and no prospects I personally would have to do it. My point was we could find someone to replace his spot in the rotation while it seems to be a lot more difficult to find a good bat.

1 year 10 mil is about what I expected. It's a one year deal so not much risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. That's one year of very good vs. two years of average to slightly above average.
    Over the last three years, their numbers are extremely close. Bailey's are sexier, but not that much better. Both are solid #3 starters, Bailey might be one of the better #3 starters, but that's all he is.

Turn Off Ads?