Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

Re: Winter Meetings Thread -- Deals and Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd stay away from Morse, but Trumbo interests me a bit. His power is legit and his BB rate has climbed each of the past two years. Trumbo with a .330+ OB would be a very dangerous human. If I were a GM, my question to my coaching staff would be "Do you think you can get him there?"

One other thing about Trumbo that gets overlooked a bit is he's not terrible in the OF. He's not good, but he's better than most gorilla hitters out there. Has a pretty good arm.
    I'm seeing a lot of Ron Kittle (so far throu age 27) in Trumbo's batting line(now he needs those awesome shades)

Kittle
    Code:
    PA		AB		BA		OBP		SLG		OPS		OPS+	 
    1544		1394		.234		.302		.475		.777		107
    Trumbo
    Code:
    PA		AB		BA		OBP		SLG		OPS		OPS+
    1853		1718		.250		.299		.469		.768		114

2. Turn Off Ads?

Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger (Twitter link) hears from rival executives that the most likely return for the Yankees in a Gardner deal would be a No. 4 starter. A No. 3 would be a "great get," according to those execs.
    Leake here?
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Leake here?

I think that would be a decent deal.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I have to ask if it's still viable to trade a starting pitcher this offseason with Chapman refusing to go into the rotation. We're already losing Arroyo and Chapman isn't going to take his spot in the rotation.

6. Likes:

757690 (12-09-2013),joshua (12-09-2013),lollipopcurve (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I have to ask if it's still viable to trade a starting pitcher this offseason with Chapman refusing to go into the rotation. We're already losing Arroyo and Chapman isn't going to take his spot in the rotation.
    I know Chapman said he doesn't want to go to the rotation... but I have yet to hear anything verifying that 100% from the coaches. In any case, if Leake fetches you a piece that really helps the offense, I think you have to consider it, though I understand why some might be reticent.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd stay away from Morse, but Trumbo interests me a bit. His power is legit and his BB rate has climbed each of the past two years. Trumbo with a .330+ OB would be a very dangerous human. If I were a GM, my question to my coaching staff would be "Do you think you can get him there?"

One other thing about Trumbo that gets overlooked a bit is he's not terrible in the OF. He's not good, but he's better than most gorilla hitters out there. Has a pretty good arm.
    His OBP was less than .300 last year. I understand why he might be intriguing, but I think the Reds have too many .300 ish OBP guys as it is.

If they're going to use resources on getting a guy to help for the now, I don't think he's it.

I'd like for them to bring in a guy that at least gives me half the "ah HAH!" feeling I had when they traded for Choo.

I want Bret Gardner, dad gummit.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

#Dbacks a strong suitor for Shin-Soo Choo. Part of appeal is proximity to his Buckeye, AZ, home.

~ Anthony Castrovince, MLB.com (Twitter)

Angels have asked for Tyler Skaggs or Trevor Cahill for Trumbo.

Now that is the very definition of steep. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Leake here?
    Phillips makes much more sense. Yankees would have to add to that.

The drop off from Phillips to say a Mark Ellis is much less than the drop off from Leake to Holmberg or possible replacement for him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    #Dbacks a strong suitor for Shin-Soo Choo. Part of appeal is proximity to his Buckeye, AZ, home.

~ Anthony Castrovince, MLB.com (Twitter)
    Arizona OF would become pretty crowded if that happens, would love to snag Eaton or Parra as a result.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

14. Likes:

CoachBombay (12-10-2013),Tom Servo (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Phillips makes much more sense. Yankees would have to add to that.

The drop off from Phillips to say a Mark Ellis is much less than the drop off from Leake to Holmberg or possible replacement for him.
    Except that it says the Yanks want a starter. Maybe they're close to signing Infante.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Unless a boatload of money is delivered to Homer Bailey, which the Reds probably won't pay, I'm convinced he is gone after 2014. He's made it known he doesn't like pitching at GABP. I don't see him changing his mind. If a pitcher is traded, I would trade Bailey and hope his looming free agency wouldn't
    lower his value too much.

Morse had hand and wrist issues all last season, and was nicked up a little in 2012. Before those injuries he was very useful. I would rather give Morse a modest contract and hope he bounces back, than give up actual talent for a human windmill like Trumbo.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-09-2013)

Reds would have to sign a reasonably priced backfill. Jerome Williams, Bruce Chen, Gavin Floyd or my current favorite buy low starters Scott Baker or Shaun Marcum.

I think the Reds could get by with one of those guys as 5th starter. There would be a drop-off, but Gardner plus one of them would be better than Leake and a black hole in CF. Hopefully the Reds could get an arm back for the extra year of control. Manny Banuelos is another guy who intrigues me and might be an option as a 5th starter at some point as the season plays out.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

RedEye (12-09-2013)

I'm not really seeing where the D-Backs would play Trumbo. Parra, Eaton and Ross are all better and I'd rather have Pollock. Since I think the D-Backs are a threat to replace the Reds in the Wildcard picture, I hope they do deal Skaggs or Cahill for Trumbo.

I'm generally a power over other stuff guy, but Trumbo is too much like Dave Kingman. Despite that rep, he's not the worst thing in the world, but hardly a big upgrade (and possibly a downgrade) from what they have and he's certainly not worth burning a starting pitcher trade piece for.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

Kc61 (12-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?