Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marshall possibly to the Rockies?

Re: Marshall possibly to the Rockies?

The Reds are going to lose Homer after this season. That is a given IMO. We have Stephenson very close to coming in and replacing him. If we are in position to make a run at the WS this year, keep Bailey and risk losing him. If not, trade him now for some much needed offense at SS or 3rd.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If the Reds deal one of the starters, they'll still have 4 guys that give those quality starts and if they sign Arroyo, they'll have better than the 5th starter you describe. The Braves with the Jones boys, Lopez, Justice/Dye etc had a lot better offense than you are giving credit for and light years better than what this reds team will run out there in 2014.

Votto and Bruce and pray the rest get on the juice.
    The Braves didn't need all those runs. Guys like Glavine and Maddox aren't HoF worthy based on how many runs their team scored. They are because they were damn good pitchers.

So you got Cueto, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani, Latos, and possibly Chapman in the starting rotation. Hoover or Broxton slides into the closer spot if Chapman starts, with Lecure your righty #1 setup guy, and Marshall your #1 lefty setup guy. Ondrusek, Partch, Simon, and Cingrani to join them in the bull pen? Zach Duke might come back as well.

That leaves little room for injuries. The minor leagues aren't full of guys ready to step in like Leake and Cingrani have. You also would have very little in the bull pen that could start in a pinch. That means Cingrani and Duke are the only guys that has started before right? So they would be your 'long' relievers.

If anyone is available for trade at a maximum return, it would be Chapman. I'd trade Chapman in a heartbeat for a power hitting right handed left fielder that can hit around .280 and has a solid glove...in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    The Braves didn't need all those runs. Guys like Glavine and Maddox aren't HoF worthy based on how many runs their team scored. They are because they were damn good pitchers.

So you got Cueto, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani, Latos, and possibly Chapman in the starting rotation. Hoover or Broxton slides into the closer spot if Chapman starts, with Lecure your righty #1 setup guy, and Marshall your #1 lefty setup guy. Ondrusek, Partch, Simon, and Cingrani to join them in the bull pen? Zach Duke might come back as well.

That leaves little room for injuries. The minor leagues aren't full of guys ready to step in like Leake and Cingrani have. You also would have very little in the bull pen that could start in a pinch. That means Cingrani and Duke are the only guys that has started before right? So they would be your 'long' relievers.

If anyone is available for trade at a maximum return, it would be Chapman. I'd trade Chapman in a heartbeat for a power hitting right handed left fielder that can hit around .280 and has a solid glove...in a heartbeat.
    Maddux and Glavine were great, but they also had solid bats behind them. Furcal, Jones, Andruw Jones, Lopez, Gallaraga, Klesko, Jordan, McGriff, etc. All hit about .270 routinely. If Bailey and Latos had that production behind them, both would be Cy Young winners by now.
    Last edited by bullseye; 12-15-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post

Absolutely agree that Chapman is the one I'd deal, I just don't think the Reds will. If they deal a starter, they'd need to sign somebody to be the 5th starter on the cheap (maybe a couple guys like Scott Baker or Shaun Marcum which I think they should do anyway), but there are guys in the reds price range that are out there. It's doable. There isn't anyone to fix this offense in the Reds price range and there are even fewer ready now guys in the minors who could help on the position side than there are on the pitching side.

BTW, even if the Reds keep all their guys, there isn't a Maddux, Glavine or Smoltz in the bunch. They need to score some runs.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Absolutely agree that Chapman is the one I'd deal, I just don't think the Reds will. If they deal a starter, they'd need to sign somebody to be the 5th starter on the cheap (maybe a couple guys like Scott Baker or Shaun Marcum which I think they should do anyway), but there are guys in the reds price range that are out there. It's doable. There isn't anyone to fix this offense in the Reds price range and there are even fewer ready now guys in the minors who could help on the position side than there are on the pitching side.

BTW, even if the Reds keep all their guys, there isn't a Maddux, Glavine or Smoltz in the bunch. They need to score some runs.
    Latos and Bailey are capable of putting together Hall of Fame careers. Neither will make it with the current batting order we put out there each game, however. I am sure that is in the back of their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Latos and Bailey are capable of putting together Hall of Fame careers. Neither will make it with the current batting order we put out there each game, however. I am sure that is in the back of their minds.
    Really? They'd better get it in gear then.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    The Reds are going to lose Homer after this season. That is a given IMO. We have Stephenson very close to coming in and replacing him. If we are in position to make a run at the WS this year, keep Bailey and risk losing him. If not, trade him now for some much needed offense at SS or 3rd.
    Agreed completely. I'd almost like to see the Reds offer the money that we believe was earmarked for Choo to Bailey, if he doesn't want to talk extension, use the money to perhaps go after a free agent starter. Maybe a Santana or Garza. It'd keep the rotation strong, and allow the Reds to move Bailey or Cueto for young near ready or ready help at 3b and SS.

Turn Off Ads?