Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marshall possibly to the Rockies?

Marshall possibly to the Rockies?

ctrent ‏@ctrent 2m
    #Rockies interested in Sean Marshall? so says @troyrenck http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/...26/#more-16126

Interesting.... I'd be curious what we could possibly get from the rockies.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marshall possibly to the Rockies?

Quote Originally Posted by Gapper View Post
    ctrent ‏@ctrent 2m
    #Rockies interested in Sean Marshall? so says @troyrenck http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/...26/#more-16126

Shame Fowler already got moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapper View Post
    ctrent ‏@ctrent 2m

I'm curious what they have to offer, period.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

I wonder if it's still a possibility? Looks like the Rox got their lefty:

From CBS:

The Rockies have acquired left-hander Brett Anderson and cash from the Athletics for left-hander Drew Pomeranz and minor league right-hander Chris Jensen, both teams announced

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I wonder if it's still a possibility? Looks like the Rox got their lefty:

From CBS:

The Rockies have acquired left-hander Brett Anderson and cash from the Athletics for left-hander Drew Pomeranz and minor league right-hander Chris Jensen, both teams announced
    Gotta think they weren't looking to acquire Marshall as a starter. Not sure what chips the Rox are still willing to part with, but I doubt Anderson and Marshall were mutually exclusive conversations.

Marshall is huge for our bullpen. He's one of our few LHP and his curve ball is SICK. I'd hate to see him go and I don't think the Rockies could give us anyone better

I don't think I'd be in any hurry to dissemble this bullpen. Not the Reds job to fix the Rockies.

Marshall would be the ultimate feast or fire in Coor's Field. He already has a yacker that's almost unhittable, but the thin air would make it drop another two inches or so. The problem would be when he hangs one, it might not land again until it reaches the Mississippi River.

We gave up too much to give up on Marshall so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    We gave up too much to give up on Marshall so soon.
    I absolutely hated the trade. The Reds gave up Travis Wood who would have made losing Bailey this year or next much more palatable. Could you imagine having three great lefties in the rotation with Chapman, Cingrani, and Wood, to go with Latos and Cueto? You could leave Chapman in the closer role even and keep Leake in the rotation. The Wood trade really took away some of the depth of starting pitching for the Reds farm system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I absolutely hated the trade. The Reds gave up Travis Wood who would have made losing Bailey this year or next much more palatable. Could you imagine having three great lefties in the rotation with Chapman, Cingrani, and Wood, to go with Latos and Cueto? You could leave Chapman in the closer role even and keep Leake in the rotation. The Wood trade really took away some of the depth of starting pitching for the Reds farm system.
    This is why I don't get all the people who want to trade Leake, trade Bailey etc. You don't trade starting pitching unless there is a huge reason. Like if the FO is absolutely certain Bailey won't extend. Then and only then you look at a deal that adds young pitching prospects or a killer bat. Short of that you keep good starters. Even when they appear to be surplus the season has a way of attrition that makes surplus quickly become shortage. Trading Marshall, who cost Wood, would be simply throwing both away unless the return is indeed overwhelming. Given his injuries last year, you'd be dealing low on Marshall.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    This is why I don't get all the people who want to trade Leake, trade Bailey etc. You don't trade starting pitching unless there is a huge reason. Like if the FO is absolutely certain Bailey won't extend. Then and only then you look at a deal that adds young pitching prospects or a killer bat. Short of that you keep good starters. Even when they appear to be surplus the season has a way of attrition that makes surplus quickly become shortage. Trading Marshall, who cost Wood, would be simply throwing both away unless the return is indeed overwhelming. Given his injuries last year, you'd be dealing low on Marshall.
    I really don't understand the trade Bailey or Leake for a rental crowd either. They could fetch more than a rental, would probably have a larger impact on the team, and in the case of Bailey mean a draft pick. Hang onto them. Now if the Reds can sign Arroyo or another pitcher, then I'd be willing to listen if the return was what you mentioned in a bit bat or prospects. On the whole, I think people are freaking out too much about next year. Losing Choo hurts but we seem to forget that last year we were missing our cleanup hitter, had poor D in Cf, missing an ace type pitcher, had down years from several returning players, and missing 2/3 of the back of the pen. Barring further injuries, if all of that returns? I think the Reds could be fine as is.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The huge reason you ask for is Zach Cozart, Brandon Phillips, Todd Frazier, Chris Heisey, Ryan Ludwick, Devin Mesoraco .... A bunch of flawed RH bats with middling pop and low to no OBP skills. Individually, these guys are OK as a guy to hold down a spot while they are cheap (of course one of them is owed $50 Million bucks for the next 4 years). A team filled with them seems unlikely to do anything.

The way to change the mix is to deal something that somebody wants. On this team, that's Jay Bruce, Aroldis Chapman, or one of the starting pitchers. There happens to be starting pitchers available right now to backfill and, though none are ready for opening day, the pipeline is fairly well stocked, so dealing one of them to fix the flaws on the position side seems the most likely plan that could actually work. Beyond that, it's play the guys we have, finish third or 4th and out of it by August and then deal off some stuff for big returns in a mini-rebuild.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The huge reason you ask for is Zach Cozart, Brandon Phillips, Todd Frazier, Chris Heisey, Ryan Ludwick, Devin Mesoraco .... A bunch of flawed RH bats with middling pop and low to no OBP skills. Individually, these guys are OK as a guy to hold down a spot while they are cheap (of course one of them is owed $50 Million bucks for the next 4 years). A team filled with them seems unlikely to do anything.

The way to change the mix is to deal something that somebody wants. On this team, that's Jay Bruce, Aroldis Chapman, or one of the starting pitchers. There happens to be starting pitchers available right now to backfill and, though none are ready for opening day, the pipeline is fairly well stocked, so dealing one of them to fix the flaws on the position side seems the most likely plan that could actually work. Beyond that, it's play the guys we have, finish third or 4th and out of it by August and then deal off some stuff for big returns in a mini-rebuild.
    You can't win consistently if you keep building up prospects, working with them through their learning curve, and once they have a good year you trade them because you have another guy with good potential behind him. That's not a solid strategy for pitching. You have to keep the guy around through his prime years and reap the rewards of what you put into him. If you want a great example of this, see the Atlanta Braves of the 90's. The only spot in their rotation that seemed to change from year to year was their 5th starter. You give me 4 guys that will give you a quality start 9 out of 10 times and a 5th starter that you can skip every now and then and hope he learns with each start, and you are going to win more games than you are going to lose, regardless of whether your shortstop and catcher can't hit worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    You can't win consistently if you keep building up prospects, working with them through their learning curve, and once they have a good year you trade them because you have another guy with good potential behind him. That's not a solid strategy for pitching. You have to keep the guy around through his prime years and reap the rewards of what you put into him. If you want a great example of this, see the Atlanta Braves of the 90's. The only spot in their rotation that seemed to change from year to year was their 5th starter. You give me 4 guys that will give you a quality start 9 out of 10 times and a 5th starter that you can skip every now and then and hope he learns with each start, and you are going to win more games than you are going to lose, regardless of whether your shortstop and catcher can't hit worth a damn.
    If the Reds deal one of the starters, they'll still have 4 guys that give those quality starts and if they sign Arroyo, they'll have better than the 5th starter you describe. The Braves with the Jones boys, Lopez, Justice/Dye etc had a lot better offense than you are giving credit for and light years better than what this reds team will run out there in 2014.

Votto and Bruce and pray the rest get on the juice.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?