Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Mtg Tidbits...Arroyo, Gardner, etc

Re: Winter Mtg Tidbits...Arroyo, Gardner, etc

Mystery twitter guy just said that the Reds have traded B.P. and Homer to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp. LOL WUT?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jwertz View Post
    Mystery twitter guy just said that the Reds have traded B.P. and Homer to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp. LOL WUT?
    Sounds like he's rounding third and heading for home on that tweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    Sounds like he's rounding third and heading for home on that tweet!
    Do you really think the Reds would take on one of the largest contracts in MLB?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Do you really think the Reds would take on one of the largest contracts in MLB?
    No, what I meant by that last post...was referring to that guy on twitter sending his last tweet before signing off with that skit he's been peforming all week.......and I said that in a Joe Nuxall tribute kind of way.

The twitter dude is cooked after making that proclamation last night and it not happening today.

Now....back to reality, I think we could ship off Cueto, Marshall, Broxton, BP in various trades for prospects and filler spots like Gardener in CF, and free up money to sign a power hitting RH, and money to spend on extending Latos and Bailey.

But, it appears that's way to aggressive/risky for this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Gotta agree with Honcho. Trading Bailey would be a downgrade no matter who we get.
    Just depends on whether you want a player now or 4 years from now.

I think we could ship off Cueto, Marshall, Broxton, BP in various trades for prospects and filler spots like Gardener in CF, and free up money to sign a power hitting RH, and money to spend on extending Latos and Bailey.
    They question is if our team would be better off without one or some of these guys when the only thing we get back would be fillers. I donīt think so. I think Walt is playing it the right way for the moment not getting hysterical. The market is kind of quiet right now. Why not wait a bit longer. It is still some time until Spring Training and players we can afford or for whom we do not have to give up too much only get cheaper.

Given todays news of Mark Ellis to the Dark Side.....our options are dwindling for 2b if BP were traded IMO.

I think we may be down to signing Bronson, to make Leake more than Bailey available, to trade for a CF. Unless we are blown away by a trade proposal with BP/Bailey included that takes care of 2b/CF/prospect SP. At this point we may be looking for a CF, then go with it, see if Ludwick can get his RH power back, and then maybe trade Bailey at the deadline for power if we are contending and its obvious that is the weak spot to get to the playoffs.

I just don't see the "big one" happening at this point as Lance and some others have suggested.

Leake for Rasmus
    Leake for Gardner
    Leake for De Aza

What do you all think going forward now that FA's are signing elsewhere?

Teams don't generally get better when you replace half the team to fill one spot in the lineup.

Teams don't generally get better when you replace half the team to fill one spot in the lineup.
    Yeah, buts it not like we were in the cellar last year. If Ludwick performs next year, and Frazier/Meso step up alittle more then we won't that far off. We definitely need a CF, don't get me wrong. I'm not sold on Hamilton starting right away by any means. I would much rather be able to pull off the big trade to fixe 2 or 3 positions too, but I just don't see it now. If we sign Bronson and use Leake for a CF trade chip piece then that may what we have to live with for awhile.

Yeah, buts it not like we were in the cellar last year. If Ludwick performs next year, and Frazier/Meso step up alittle more then we won't that far off. We definitely need a CF, don't get me wrong. I'm not sold on Hamilton starting right away by any means. I would much rather be able to pull off the big trade to fixe 2 or 3 positions too, but I just don't see it now. If we sign Bronson and use Leake for a CF trade chip piece then that may what we have to live with for awhile.
    Well either Bronson is playing poker with the Reds by meeting with the Yankees, or he is going to be out of their price range. I'm seeing way too many guys out there that I would rather the Reds sign 2 or 3 of them and see if one does well in Spring training than to give Bronson bags of cash. Kazmier, Pelphrey, and Chamberlain are just a few of them. All those guys together would be cheaper than Bronson.

I'm actually quite amazed some of the outfielders the Reds are passing on too, and some of the deals are unreal. Did you see Morneau left the Pirates and is only getting 2-years and $12.5 million from the Rockies?? By now I'm used to the Reds at least signing a couple older free agents to minor league deals. They have made no ways whatsoever. That tells me they are either going to make one big signing and stick with what they got, or sign no one until the week before training camp and go bargain basement shopping for a few fill-ins and use the rest of the money to sign guys to extensions.

Given todays news of Mark Ellis to the Dark Side.....our options are dwindling for 2b if BP were traded IMO.

I think we may be down to signing Bronson, to make Leake more than Bailey available, to trade for a CF. Unless we are blown away by a trade proposal with BP/Bailey included that takes care of 2b/CF/prospect SP. At this point we may be looking for a CF, then go with it, see if Ludwick can get his RH power back, and then maybe trade Bailey at the deadline for power if we are contending and its obvious that is the weak spot to get to the playoffs.

I just don't see the "big one" happening at this point as Lance and some others have suggested.

Leake for Rasmus
    Leake for Gardner
    Leake for De Aza

What do you all think going forward now that FA's are signing elsewhere?
    My guess is BP stays and Bailey goes if the Reds cannot workout an extension with Homer by March.
    Last edited by bullseye; 12-15-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Well either Bronson is playing poker with the Reds by meeting with the Yankees, or he is going to be out of their price range. I'm seeing way too many guys out there that I would rather the Reds sign 2 or 3 of them and see if one does well in Spring training than to give Bronson bags of cash. Kazmier, Pelphrey, and Chamberlain are just a few of them. All those guys together would be cheaper than Bronson.

I'm actually quite amazed some of the outfielders the Reds are passing on too, and some of the deals are unreal. Did you see Morneau left the Pirates and is only getting 2-years and $12.5 million from the Rockies?? By now I'm used to the Reds at least signing a couple older free agents to minor league deals. They have made no ways whatsoever. That tells me they are either going to make one big signing and stick with what they got, or sign no one until the week before training camp and go bargain basement shopping for a few fill-ins and use the rest of the money to sign guys to extensions.
    Morneau is a horrible deal at that price, imo. Kazmir signed $22 million for 2 years so he wouldn't be materially cheaper than Bronson by himself. Pelfrey is relatively cheap as he signed for 2/$11mil guaranteed and 3.5mil in possible bonuses. He is also horrible - over 5 era and 1.55 whip. At the prices guys are signing for so far I don't see the Reds as missing too much to this point.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Morneau is a horrible deal at that price, imo. Kazmir signed $22 million for 2 years so he wouldn't be materially cheaper than Bronson by himself. Pelfrey is relatively cheap as he signed for 2/$11mil guaranteed and 3.5mil in possible bonuses. He is also horrible - over 5 era and 1.55 whip. At the prices guys are signing for so far I don't see the Reds as missing too much to this point.
    Kazmir is only 29, and who knows if he can catch lightening in a bottle and return to the pitching stud he was in Tampa before they pitched his arm off.

Pelfrey is also 29 (Born at Wright-Patterson AFB might I add) and has shown flashes despite coming off surgery two years ago. This would be the year he would be back to full strength.

Joba Chamberlain was a bargain.

Morneau is still in his prime years, and for a guy with his glove and a career .277 hitter, that price is a bargain. Morneau will hit at least .280 with 30 hr and 100 RBI this year and possibly beat Votto for the Gold Glove.

Kazmir is only 29, and who knows if he can catch lightening in a bottle and return to the pitching stud he was in Tampa before they pitched his arm off.

Pelfrey is also 29 (Born at Wright-Patterson AFB might I add) and has shown flashes despite coming off surgery two years ago. This would be the year he would be back to full strength.

Joba Chamberlain was a bargain.

Morneau is still in his prime years, and for a guy with his glove and a career .277 hitter, that price is a bargain. Morneau will hit at least .280 with 30 hr and 100 RBI this year and possibly beat Votto for the Gold Glove.
    Well, Lew, I just disagree on Morneau. I'll be surprised if he gets close to those numbers. Pelfrey I flat don't like. Kazmir, I agree, might be back. Joba has been pretty decent as a reliever, not so much starting. I don't think any of them are better than what's in house. I'm not saying Walt doesn't need to do anything just that those aren't the guys I'd bemoan not signing.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Morneau hasn't hit .270 since 2010 and has not put up those power numbers since 2009. He is 33 and far from his prime IMO. Would be interesting to see what he would do here, but we have a far better player at 1st and he doesn't get hurt every season like Morneau.

Turn Off Ads?