Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So long Choo, and thanks for all the fish.

So long Choo, and thanks for all the fish.

Choo signs a 7 year deal with the Rangers.

The pessimist in me think this is going to really hurt the reds. If we hold on to BP, it will be very hard for him to repeat the RBIs he put up with only half of the on-base machine in front of him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So long Choo, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by LewGra View Post
    Choo signs a 7 year deal with the Rangers.

The pessimist in me think this is going to really hurt the reds. If we hold on to BP, it will be very hard for him to repeat the RBIs he put up with only half of the on-base machine in front of him.
    This can't possibly hurt the Reds more than Beltran leaving hurts the Cardinals, right?

Thank you Mr.Choo for the one year with our beloved Reds and all the best for your time in Arlington.

It was a pretty sure thing Choo would not re-sign in Cincy especially after rejecting the offer from the Yankees.. We just do not have the money.

The way I see it is this: We lost in the first round of the playoffs without him and we lost in the first round with him. Obviously he is not the answer either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotly View Post
    The way I see it is this: We lost in the first round of the playoffs without him and we lost in the first round with him. Obviously he is not the answer either way.
    Wouldn't have gotten to the first round of the playoffs in 2013 without him. And he did drive in 1 of the only 2 runs in the play-in game.

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    This can't possibly hurt the Reds more than Beltran leaving hurts the Cardinals, right?
    It hurts the reds but in a different way. Beltran wasn't the OBP machine that Choo is. Reds still have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball and a healthy Cueto probably makes it THE best.

It hurts the reds but in a different way. Beltran wasn't the OBP machine that Choo is. Reds still have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball and a healthy Cueto probably makes it THE best.
    I wonder if the Reds could trade Cueto for Cabrera and Scherzer.

I wonder if the Reds could trade Cueto for Cabrera and Scherzer.
    What??? Why would the Tigers give up a league MVP and Cy Young pitcher for an often hurt pitcher? The Reds couldn't afford that deal even if the Tigers did it.

A 7 year deal for Choo? He won't play it out, it was a dumb deal. Anything over 5 years was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    What??? Why would the Tigers give up a league MVP and Cy Young pitcher for an often hurt pitcher?
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic
    In his defense, with the "Bailey for Profar" proposals it's hard to tell who's being serious.

In his defense, with the "Bailey for Profar" proposals it's hard to tell who's being serious.
    That's true. That's an odd kind of deal, though - the Bailey and Winker for Profar type of deal. If I'm a Reds fan it's too much to give up and if I'm a Rangers fan I'd think it wasn't enough for Profar. 1 year of Bailey straight up is a pipe dream.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    That's true. That's an odd kind of deal, though - the Bailey and Winker for Profar type of deal. If I'm a Reds fan it's too much to give up and if I'm a Rangers fan I'd think it wasn't enough for Profar. 1 year of Bailey straight up is a pipe dream.

Profar is now a pipe dream because of the Kinsler trade. Still, laughable to give up a good young pitcher and a B/B+ prospect for Profar who didn't exactly light it up last year.

Anyway, back OT. The Rangers aren't going to like that Choo contract in 4 years. He is an .OBP monster though-- but his similarity scores through the age of 30 would kind of scare me--- especially @ ~$20mm a year for 7 years.

GL in Texas though Choo.

Bernard Gilkey (967)
    Ivan Calderon (956)
    Milton Bradley (955)
    Troy O'Leary (954)
    Aaron Rowand (954)
    Shea Hillenbrand (952)
    Felipe Alou (949)
    Rusty Greer (938)
    Michael Cuddyer (938)
    Rondell White (937)

Yep. Like the loss of Pujols really knee capped 'em.

Still, laughable to give up a good young pitcher and a B/B+ prospect for Profar who didn't exactly light it up last year

Seriously? SMH
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

I'm shocked that so many of the Reds faithful want to trade Bailey.

He's averaging more than 2-wins/year over the last 3, and that's climbing. He's only 27.

His FIP/xFIP are in the top 20 in the league over that time period as well. Higher K/9 and lower BB/9 than the fan-favorite Cueto.

He's prone to the long ball and is a .500 pitcher - surely that's not enough for the fanbase to ride him out on the rail.

Reminds me of the BFIBs love/hate relationship with Lance Lynn.

Turn Off Ads?