Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Just too many holes to fill.

Re: Just too many holes to fill.

Doesn't the play in game make the regular season mean more? No one wants to be anywhere near that thing.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway between View Post
    You don't see it because you don't want to or because you're sure they haven't? They have the best fielding CF'er in the game right now. He has great speed. If his bat plays they have improved significantly from Jon Jay's weak arm and inconsistent routes to the ball.

Peralta is average to above average fielder with decent power and OBP. He's a significant offensive upgrade to Kozma.

The departure of Freese takes away one of the weaker bats from last year and replaces it with Carpenter who is a strong fielder....particularly at 3rd. They are replacing Freese's bat with Wong. While Wong struggled in his 59 plate appearances last year, his bat played awfully well at every stage in the minors. Wong also has very good speed. In any event, if he struggles, Ellis will get more at bats and that's a known quantity.

You can argue until the cows come home about Adams struggles vs lefties, but he hit 17 HR's in about 300 AB's and was a one man wrecking crew when Craig was injured late last year. There's a lotta pixie dust in that organization. Craig plays a better RF than Beltran and we all know about his hitting.

From the Cardinals' perspective, they have removed all weaknesses. With Garcia coming back, some starter is going to the pen. They aren't likely to have that early bullpen weakness that stunted them last year.

We can all point to Taveras and Wong and say what have they proven? It's a fair question. The same one we used to discuss Miller, Kelly and Wacha last year.

That darned farm system keeps grinding out quality players.
    I think they downgraded their CF bat, but definitely upgraded the defense. With Craig and Holliday in the corners, I don't blame them for getting the best defensive CF they could find.

I agree Peralta is an upgrade over Kozma.

One thing that could hurt them with Freese's departure is his power potential. I highly doubt they will repeat their avg w/ RISP numbers so they will need to find more ways to get runs across, like home runs.

Adams is the biggest mystery for me. He crushed the ball last year in his limited AB's, but with more AB's comes more exposure. He will definitely need to make adjustments in 2014.

Putting my bias aside, I am actually intrigued to see what type of player Taveras is. Just as I am excited about Hamilton, Profar, Machado, and Trout. (I'm not putting them all on the same level, but they could all be very exciting players for pure baseball fans to watch). **** Harper.....

One thing that could hurt them with Freese's departure is his power potential. I highly doubt they will repeat their avg w/ RISP numbers so they will need to find more ways to get runs across, like home runs.
    I don't think anybody would disagree with that... .330 was a historic number. But, the Cards have been a station to station offensive team. This year, the addition of Bourjos and Wong will add some excitement on the basepaths. Look for more run creation.

A full year of Matt Adams could give you 30 from him alone. Craig was way down in his production.

Freese only contributed 9 jacks last year. Kozma hit one. Peralta will likely hit more than the two combined this year. Runs will come differently this year, but don't see any holes like Kozma and the pitcher.

What is problematic is what those pitchers will do this year. The sophomore jinx might come into play, although the Cardinals seem to think that Yadi is the glue that keeps those young lions on the straight and narrow.

I'm surprised the Reds didn't bring in Youkilis to play back up 3rd and first. He's a Cincinnati guy and would have probably taken less than the $4 million he got to play in Japan for a year, just to play at home. He would have been the Scott Rolen type of leader in the club house too.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    The Cards have a strong farm system. They always have. Our system has improved over the years, but we still have the same type of hitters coming out of it, over and over. Would like to see some new instructors and a new philosophy on hitting.
    I think part of the recent trend in Reds prospects shows the beginnings if a philosophy shift. Winker, Ervin, and SMB at the early levels seem to not be displaying the hacktasic nature that's we've gotten used to in prospects.

Turn Off Ads?