Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/561

Bill Bray wants to pitch in 2014 and hopes to sign with a team by May, according to Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
    Bray was limited to just 4 1/3 innings with the Nationals' Double-A affiliate last season due to back, groin and shoulder issues. Prior to 2013 the southpaw was effective as a reliever, limiting lefties to a .218/.312/.331 line for his career. If he proves to be healthy, the 30-year-old could catch on with a team looking for left-handed bullpen help. Feb 8 - 11:50 PM
    Source: Mike Berardino on Twitter

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Heisey had a .279 OBP and a 3.7 percent walk rate last year. And almost 21 percent K rate. I don't think it's splitting hairs to be unhappy with that. And he had 244 PAs.
    What's more troubling is that he had a few different stints where he got quite a few starts in a row, so it wasn't like he wasn't given a chance to figure it out.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Even .310 isn't very good.
    The major league average last year was .317 (.315 in the NL), so a .310 OBA for a bench player is likely above average.

Last year, the average PH had a .288 OBA in the NL, .295 in MLB.

5. Likes:

camisadelgolf (02-11-2014),REDREAD (02-09-2014)

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/777/kendrys-morales

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that there is "mutual interest" between the Pirates and Kendrys Morales.
    Cafardo writes that the Pirates "would love" Morales at the right price, but "they may also pursue a first baseman via trade." They've long been mentioned as a potential landing spot for Ike Davis, and Cafardo also lists Adam Lind, Mitch Moreland, Justin Smoak, Daniel Nava and Mike Carp as possible targets. Signing Morales would require the Pirates to forfeit their first-round draft pick. They'd also probably no longer be able to afford Morales if they wind up re-signing A.J. Burnett.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The major league average last year was .317 (.315 in the NL), so a .310 OBA for a bench player is likely above average.

Last year, the average PH had a .288 OBA in the NL, .295 in MLB.
    Well, whether he's a starter, a bench player, or a pinch hitter, Heisey doesn't quite make the cut. His OBP was .279 last season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-09-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Heisey had a .279 OBP and a 3.7 percent walk rate last year. And almost 21 percent K rate. I don't think it's splitting hairs to be unhappy with that. And he had 244 PAs.
    But the point is, you said a 310 OBP from a bench player wasn't that great.

I think most people think a 330 OBP is good for a bench player. The point is, there's not much of a difference.

The Reds added Schumaker to help with the OBP off the bench. That will help.
    Hopefully Heisey and Hannahan will hit a little bit better, but honestly, the playoffs will not be made or missed based on the bench (no matter how good or bad it is).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I can't see the Reds sitting on their hands through this entire season. The direction of sprin training and the first few weeks will probably decide which way they move.

Sometimes the smartest thing is waiting and not rushing out to waste money on someone that isn't as good as what you can get later.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    I can't see the Reds sitting on their hands through this entire season.
    Really?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

12. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (02-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    But the point is, you said a 310 OBP from a bench player wasn't that great.
    Here's what I actually said --

"IMO you can't have a bunch of players with below .300 OBPs on your team. Even .310 isn't very good. Heisey needs to work on this problem or nobody will want him as his price tag goes up in arbitration and he'll find himself signing minor league contracts with spring training invites."

Do you really disagree with this? Do you really think -- even in a period of down offense -- that the Reds will succeed with a bunch of sub-.300 OBP players? Do you really think .310 is a desirable OBP on a contending team?
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-10-2014 at 10:44 AM.

14. Likes:

LoganBuck (02-10-2014),mth123 (02-11-2014)

[QUOTE=Gallen5862;3035205]http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/561

Bill Bray wants to pitch in 2014 and hopes to sign with a team by May, according to Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
    Bray was limited to just 4 1/3 innings with the Nationals' Double-A affiliate last season due to back, groin and shoulder issues. Prior to 2013 the southpaw was effective as a reliever

Seems misleading to me, as if he was ever healthy before 2013.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

If the Reds can ink Bailey to a long-term deal, and the Marlins face the reality that is getting rid of Stanton...how would you all feel about a deal with the main pieces being Stephenson and Winker/Ervin going back?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

If the Reds can ink Bailey to a long-term deal, and the Marlins face the reality that is getting rid of Stanton...how would you all feel about a deal with the main pieces being Stephenson and Winker/Ervin going back?
    No thanks from me. I know Stanton can be a stud, with tons of power, but even if we can keep Homer, the Reds are still looking at Latos/Cueto/Leake all being up after 2015, and will need Stephenson to replace one of them.

Not to mention the financial cost of Bailey/Stanton plus what it will take to keep one of Latos/Cueto/Leake.

Nope. Not dealing a potential ace with all of his controllable years ahead of him - even for Stanton who I covet. I know, never fall in love with prospects and there are no guarantees he'll pan out but Bobbie Steve is one I'll roll the dice with. Chapman, Ervin AND Winker(+) (with a Stanton extension)? Yes Please.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-10-2014 at 03:43 PM.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Royals Place Emilio Bonifacio On Release Waivers

By Charlie Wilmoth [February 10 at 1:09pm CST]

FEB. 10: The Royals have requested unconditional release waivers on Bonifacio, tweets Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish. Any team can now claim Bonifacio if they are willing to take on the entirety of his $3.5MM salary. Those claims will be determined according to last year's league-wide standings and are not subject to the in-season rule that would give AL teams the first shot at him (2013 league-wide standings are also used for the first month of the regular season, as opposed to league-specific priority). Should he clear waivers, he will be a free agent and can then sign with a team of his choosing.

Here's what I actually said --

"IMO you can't have a bunch of players with below .300 OBPs on your team. Even .310 isn't very good. Heisey needs to work on this problem or nobody will want him as his price tag goes up in arbitration and he'll find himself signing minor league contracts with spring training invites."

Do you really disagree with this? Do you really think -- even in a period of down offense -- that the Reds will succeed with a bunch of sub-.300 OBP players? Do you really think .310 is a desirable OBP on a contending team?
    310 obp is fine for a bench player if he can do other things (like Heisey).
    As someone else pointed out, the average OBP of a bench player is quite low (Can't find the exact number).

Now I agree the bar is higher for a starting position player.
    But inherently, just about all bench players are flawed. The ones that aren't flawed eventually win a starting job somewhere.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-10-2014)

Turn Off Ads?