Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Hmmmmm...

•Meanwhile, the Red Sox and Reds do not plan on approaching key extension candidates Jon Lester and Homer Bailey, respectively, until Spring Training.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...w-polanco.html
    Why would Homer sign an extension with the Reds?

Why would he forego free agency with starting pitchers getting hundreds of millions in contracts?

Why would he tie himself to a team that doesn't make player moves to get closer to championship stature?

I really don't see his rationale for signing. Anything can happen, but I'd be surprised.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Why would he tie himself to a team that doesn't make player moves to get closer to championship
    It's disheartening to see you so jaded about things. It has been a blah offseason but hang in there.

As for Bailey, he is one ligament tear from being out tens of millions of dollars. I'm not saying fear of injury should scare guys from free agency but it will always be considered. Also, maybe, just maybe, he likes this organization.

4. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (01-16-2014)

Why would Homer sign an extension with the Reds?Why would he forego free agency with starting pitchers getting hundreds of millions in contracts?

Why would he tie himself to a team that doesn't make player moves to get closer to championship stature?

I really don't see his rationale for signing. Anything can happen, but I'd be surprised.
    Not sure why. Hope he does, but I don't think he will. Walt shoulda come with his best offer already - not wait for ST.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It's disheartening to see you so jaded about things. It has been a blah offseason but hang in there.

As for Bailey, he is one ligament tear from being out tens of millions of dollars. I'm not saying fear of injury should scare guys from free agency but it will always be considered. Also, maybe, just maybe, he likes this organization.
    First on Bailey. I highly doubt he will blink because of injury concerns. He is healthy, mechanically superb, just coming into his prime, highly projectable and durable, a young free agent.

In this market he will command huge dollars. I don't see why on earth he would just skip that opportunity. Maybe he likes the organization but the guy stands to make over $100 million. You tell me what's the likelihood.

As for me being "jaded" I am grossly disappointed by this organization. Let's just leave it at that. I know, anything can happen next year and I know others disagree with my assessment.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-16-2014 at 12:05 AM.

7. Likes:

wheels (01-16-2014)

First on Bailey. I highly doubt he will blink because of injury concerns. He is healthy, mechanically superb, just coming into his prime, highly projectable, a young free agent.

In this market he will command huge dollars. I don't see why on earth he would just skip that opportunity. Maybe he likes the organization but the guy stands to make over $100 million. You tell me what's the likelihood.

As for me being "jaded" I am grossly disappointed by this organization. Let's just leave it at that. I know, anything can happen next year and I know others disagree.
    I said earlier today I doubt he stays with the Reds so don't think I'm a big believer in an extension. But it would hardly be earth-shattering if a guy like Bailey extended with his parent club for a fair deal.

I can't see any way at all the Reds deal for Matt Kemp, but I actually believe there's a higher probability that he's a Red in 2014 than Bailey is in 2015. I believe Homer fully intends to test the market unless he gets a nine-figure deal and I don't see the Reds giving him that and setting that kind of table for Latos. Prove me wrong Walt. Can't see the Reds affording much over 5/$80M (if that).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-16-2014 at 12:26 AM.

If I may take exception with one other item kc.

You call Bailey "highly durable and projectable." Up until 2012 he was neither of those. Granted, he has had 2 straight horse-like seasons, but that does not make one "highly durable and projectable." And I love the guy so I'm not trying to knock him.

11. Likes:

mdccclxix (01-16-2014), RedTeamGo! (01-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If I may take exception with one other item kc.

You call Bailey "highly durable and projectable." Up until 2012 he was neither of those. Granted, he has had 2 straight horse-like seasons, but that does not make one "highly durable and projectable." And I love the guy so I'm not trying to knock him.
    You are right, kal.

But he has a projectable body, superb mechanics, gets stronger late in games, and for two years has been healthy and strong all season. His injuries have not recurred for some time and he never needed surgery. He was strong for the 2012 playoffs and pitched superbly.

I think Homer would be perceived in the FA market as likely to pitch many innings for several years. More so than other FAs with more mileage on them.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-16-2014 at 12:40 AM.

You are right, kal.

But he has a projectable body, superb mechanics, gets stronger late in games, and for two years has been healthy and strong all season. His injuries have not recurred for some time and he never needed surgery. He was strong for the 2012 playoffs and pitched superbly.

I think Homer would be perceived in the FA market as likely to pitch many innings for several years. More so than other FAs with more mileage on them.
    Totally valid stance.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Vernon Wells was released by the Yanks -- he gets $ 21M this year ($18.6 paid by the Angels)

shaking my head
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

15. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-16-2014)

Maybe Homer extends because of his relationship with Price and because he believes pitching wins championships and he sees the Reds investing in pitching.

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Glad to see Brad Penny was able to reach a deal w/ the Royals. Always was my favorite hunter turned Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Maybe Homer extends because of his relationship with Price and because he believes pitching wins championships and he sees the Reds investing in pitching.
    This is the big moment of Homer's career, an opportunity to be paid with the top players in the game. Many large markets will be available to him.

It would be unusual for Homer to settle more cheaply because of Bryan Price, with all due respect to Price's considerable abilities.

As for the Reds' "investments" in pitching, there is not one big time contract on the staff and the Reds' willingness to invest in players may not be their strong suit right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Homer just seems to be one of those players that will go to whatever team that offers him the most money. I don't get the impression that sentimentality or loyalty is a part of his makeup. I think there's little chance he signs his next contract with the Reds.

Not being judgmental, just my observation. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Not sure why. Hope he does, but I don't think he will. Walt shoulda come with his best offer already - not wait for ST.
    Alas, Walt has probably already given Homer his "Best offer" and it was probably turned down.
    Homer has all the leverage now, but maybe in Spring Training, he's hanging around with the guys and remembers how good the place is and he'll move down in price a little bit? Not saying it will happen, but what is Walt supposed to do when his best offer has been turned down?

I think we all need to try to enjoy 2014 as much as we can, because Homer is likely to be gone by 2015, and 2015 is going to be a bigger challenge to contend.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?