Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Rockies Acquire Franklin Morales

By Steve Adams [December 18 at 12:49pm CST]

The Rockies have acquired left-hander Franklin Morales from the Red Sox in exchange for infielder Jonathan Herrera, according to Ian Browne and Thomas Harding of MLB.com (Twitter link). In a second tweet, Harding adds that minor league right-hander Chris Martin is also headed to the Red Sox.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Rockies Acquire Drew Stubbs For Josh Outman

By Zach Links [December 18 at 12:41pm CST]

12:41pm: Cleveland will receive left-hander Josh Outman from the Rockies in the trade, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post (Twitter link).

Outman, 29, pitched to a 4.33 ERA with 8.8 K/9, 3.8 BB/9 and a 50.3 percent ground-ball rate in 54 innings for the Indians this season. Formerly a starting pitcher, Outman converted to the bullpen on a full-time basis for the first time in 2013. Outman averaged 92.4 mph on his heater and held lefties to a minuscule .198/.278/.261 batting line.

MLBTR's Matt Swartz projects Outman to earn $1.4MM in 2013. He will give new manager Terry Francona a second left-handed option in the bullpen along with Marc Rzepczynski.

Phillies Designate Sebastian Valle For Assignment

By Steve Adams [December 18 at 9:04am CST]

The Phillies announced that they have designated catcher Sebastian Valle for assignment in order to clear a 40-man roster spot for Roberto Hernandez, whose one-year contract with the team is now official.

The 23-year-old Valle ranked among the Phillies' top 10 prospects heading into each of the 2010-12 seasons, per Baseball America, but his performance has slipped in recent seasons. Valle followed up a lackluster .253/.271/.428 performance in 2012 with a .203/.245/.359 performance in 379 Double-A plate appearances last season. Following that 2012 campaign, BA said that he should end up as at least an average defender behind the plate, praising his lateral movement, receiving skills and strong arm.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/...ebastian-valle

Phillies designated C Sebastian Valle for assignment.

The 23-year-old's bat hasn't yet acclimated to the high minors, but it wouldn't be a shock if Philadelphia some day regrets letting Valle walk for free. The Mexican catcher was considered the team's best position player prospect just two years ago. Valle has been swinging a decent stick in the Mexican League this winter and has experimented with playing the outfield. Because catching is so sparse around the league, there's a chance another franchise could take a shot on him through the waivers process. Dec 18 - 10:20 AM

Would Sebastian Valle be worth a waiver claim? It looks like he can play the outfield as well as catcher.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 12-18-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Would Sebastian Valle be worth a waiver claim? It looks like he can play the outfield as well as catcher.
    I would.. 23 and if he can convert to OF thats a plus.. sure Corky needs company in AAA
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 12-18-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Braves Acquire Ryan Doumit For Sean Gilmartin

By Steve Adams [December 18 at 1:54pm CST]

The Braves have acquired Ryan Doumit from the Twins in exchange for left-hander Sean Gilmartin, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

Doumit, who will turn 33 on April 3, is coming off a down season in which he batted .247/.314/.396 and dealt with concussion issues late in the year. However he's just one year removed from a strong .275/.320/.461 showing with a career-high 18 homers for the Twins.

Though he's not considered a strong defensive catcher, Doumit would give the Braves a cheap option behind the dish in the wake of Brian McCann's departure to the Yankees. Doumit is owed jusr $3.5MM in 2014. The Braves have Evan Gattis, Gerald Laird and Christian Bethancourt as internal options at catcher, but Bethancourt could require more seasoning, Laird is a backup and Gattis has serious OBP concerns. He alsos struggled against right-handed pitching (.236/.284/.473), which is where Doumit exceeds (.270/.330/.454).

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Rockies Acquire Franklin Morales

By Steve Adams [December 18 at 12:49pm CST]

The Rockies have acquired left-hander Franklin Morales from the Red Sox in exchange for infielder Jonathan Herrera, according to Ian Browne and Thomas Harding of MLB.com (Twitter link). In a second tweet, Harding adds that minor league right-hander Chris Martin is also headed to the Red Sox.
    Seeing this makes me believe that the Rockies may have offered Herrera for Marshall and backed away from talks when the Reds asked for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Seeing this makes me believe that the Rockies may have offered Herrera for Marshall and backed away from talks when the Reds asked for more.
    Yep. And I'm glad the Reds asked for more. That would've been a terrible trade.

Marshall for Herrera and Fowler - that would be more interesting.
    Go BLUE!!!

Gallen, I mean this with all due respect, but do we need every single MLBTR blurb getting posted and reposted on multiple threads?
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-18-2013),Edd Roush (12-18-2013),Patrick Bateman (12-18-2013),Tom Servo (12-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Gallen, I mean this with all due respect, but do we need every single MLBTR blurb getting posted and reposted on multiple threads?
    Do you think he would be a good pick-up for the Reds?

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-18-2013),Patrick Bateman (12-18-2013),Tom Servo (12-18-2013)

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Anyone else feel like Walt is still on the phones trying to clear the funds to sign Choo? When you piece together some of the rumors we've heard over the past few weeks (Reds still in bidding for Choo; Choo strangely silent on his own options; talks with NYY and elsewhere about BP; etc.) I can't help but think that must be one of the possible offseason strategies. Perhaps Walt told Choo's agent the same, and that's why he's biding his time.

Anyone else still there with me? You might call me a dreamer -- but I'm not the only one. Right?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

16. Likes:

bounty37h (12-19-2013),dubc47834 (12-19-2013),HeatherC1212 (12-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think they provide some clues on market value and many signings can indirectly effect the Reds. I like them.

18. Likes:

PepperJack (12-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I think they provide some clues on market value and many signings can indirectly effect the Reds. I like them.
    Me too. Trust me. If they stopped showing up in treads, we would miss them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

20. Likes:

PepperJack (12-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Me too. Trust me. If they stopped showing up in treads, we would miss them.

Yep, if I see a thread with Gallen as the most recent poster, I know it is likely actual news, and I personally thank him for that.
    Last edited by PepperJack; 12-18-2013 at 06:42 PM.

22. Likes:

mdccclxix (12-19-2013),OneManBand (12-18-2013),redsfanmia (12-18-2013),Revering4Blue (12-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?