Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some Good news from Reds Spring Training rather than more injuries?

Looking for some Good news from Reds Spring Training rather than more injuries?

Take a look at Billy Hamilton's Spring Training performance especially after yesterday's two triples 3 for 4 day.

Ok... small sample size and its only Spring Training... BUT

We know Billy has all-time elite base-stealing skills and we believe he will have elite defense. We are nervous about his bat.

After yesterday, Billy "the Mississippi Moonbeam" Hamilton is OPSing .908. OPS does not give any credit for his base-stealing/run scoring skills or defense... so take away his two strongest skills/abilities and you are statistically left with the 7th best CF in MLB through a month of Spring Training.

This is the equivalent of Miguel Cabrera (elite power and OBP, no speed (5 career SBs) and below average glove) suddenly flashing a Scott Rolen glove at 3B and stealing seven bases for a month of Spring Training.

If Billy's perceived weaknesses become strengths, we will have a truly special player to watch for years to come.

Again, I get that this is just Spring Training and it is only 61 plate appearances (1/10th of a season), and I get that the real at bats start Opening Day... but, considering how he struggled in last year's Spring Training, this can only be looked at as a good sign.

2. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (03-29-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looking for some Good news from Reds Spring Training rather than more injuries?

I agree, it's only spring training.
    Still nice to see Billy play so well in spring training.
    Even if the pitchers are mainly thowing him FB to get their work in, at least he's handling them and gaining confidence.
    Obviously, no one expects him to OPS over 900 during the regular season, but I'm excited to see him have such a great spring.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Re: Looking for some Good news from Reds Spring Training rather than more injuries?

Seeing him play well in Spring Training is much better than the alternative, even though it IS only Spring Training. We have reason to hope.

Two Triples in one game, spring games or not, is still impressive.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I'd bet Votto would have had significantly more RBI last year if Hamiltion was leading off instead of Choo. It's just hard to keep the guy from touching home plate once he gets on base (unless you strike out the side). Very excited to see how he plays out.

People laughed at me for drafting him early in Fantasy but he's going to dominate two categories (R,SB). I dont care what he hits for (as far as fantasy goes).

That is encouraging, but as everyone said, it's only spring training. Lots of AA/AAA/AAAA pitchers and lots of fastballs. Billy has a lot to prove with the bat, not his legs.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I'd bet Votto would have had significantly more RBI last year if Hamiltion was leading off instead of Choo.
    No, he wouldn't have. While Hamilton is absolutely more likely to score than Choo, Choo was on base 75-100 more times than Hamilton is projected to get on base. Speed simply can't make up for that kind of difference.

6 walks and 9 strikeouts from Hamilton is good to see this spring.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-28-2014),villain612 (03-28-2014)

Billy hasn't been injured.

That's my favorite stat of his through ST.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

13. Likes:

Gapper (03-28-2014),reds1869 (03-29-2014),Trajinous (03-28-2014)

I donīt give much into bad spring training statistics => I wonīt overreact on the good ones either...

billy, heisey, some bench guys did have good games and looked good but they have to face mlb pitchers with a different approach the next few months..

best thing in the offseason? start of spring training
    best thing of spring training? the end! canīt wait till monday
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My favorite thing about spring training is that it's over.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    My favorite thing about spring training is that it's over.
    No it is not!

In fact, I will be covering a game tomorrow that involves the Reds. How does it feel to be wrong for the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No it is not!

In fact, I will be covering a game tomorrow that involves the Reds. How does it feel to be wrong for the first time?
    It's over when I say it's over.

Just saw this morning thru my Time Magazine app that there's a feature article on Billy this week (paper edition comes in the mail today) highlighting the "Man of Steal" and calling him "Baseball's next big star." I'll have to read it while I'm eating my lunch. That's exciting.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

We talk a lot about the steals, but Hamilton is an excellent bet to lead MLB in triples this year. He could get 20+. Literally, any ball that squirts through to the wall and he's on 3rd. I'm hoping he becomes a damned if you do, damned if you don't player when it comes to OF positioning against him. If you bring it in to cut down the cheap singles, he can drive it through the gaps, and if you play it deep to prevent balls getting through the gaps, he can rack up the cheap singles.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?