Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I think that the fact that this team has ZERO speed outside Hamilton will bode well for Bernadina, when it's time to head ENE.
    Oh Boy! Bernadina + Hannahan + Santiago still = 0

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Oh Boy! Bernadina + Hannahan + Santiago still = 0
    I just think Bernadina > Hannahan. Always liked him when I saw him with the Nationals.

He's a legitimate CF who can spell Hamilton when necessary.
    Last edited by malcontent; 02-08-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Marlins Designate Jimmy Paredes For Assignment

By Jeff Todd [February 7 at 4:44pm CST]

The Marlins have designated outfielder Jimmy Paredes for assignment to create roster space for Jeff Baker, the club announced. The 25-year-old utilityman had been claimed in November off of waivers from the Astros.

Paredes saw limited action over the last three years in Houston. In 2013, he put up a .192/.231/.248 line in 135 trips to the plate. Seeing most of his time at Triple-A last year, Paredes was good for a .287/.345/.462 line at that level. He does have some speed as evidenced by his 166 stolen bases over seven minor league seasons, though he is just 11-for-20 in the majors. Primarily a second baseman in the minors, Paredes has seen most of his big league time in the outfield and at third.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Baseball IQ is not about foot speed. Chris Heisey makes mistakes that make me scream at the TV, at the plate, in the field, and on the basepaths.
    When did I say it was about foot speed? Probably in a foot race, Paul beats Heisey. My only point was that Paul seemed to have an even lower baseball IQ then Heisey. If you disagree, fine.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Whatever value Heisey brings with power and defense, he is wiping out by his plate approach. His walk rate last year was below 4%. (K rate almost 21%.) We use the term a lot, but he's become the classic out machine.

Paul wasn't a good fielder. But his plate approach was far superior to Heisey's.

IMO you can't have a bunch of players with below .300 OBPs on your team. Even .310 isn't very good. Heisey needs to work on this problem or nobody will want him as his price tag goes up in arbitration and he'll find himself signing minor league contracts with spring training invites.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-08-2014 at 12:30 PM.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Mariners In Talks With Cruz, Willing To Offer Multiple Years

By Steve Adams [February 8 at 11:17am CST]

SATURDAY: It's only "a matter of time" before the Mariners agree to terms with Cruz, industry sources tell Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune (on Twitter).

Seattle has the sixth overall selection in the 2014 draft, meaning its first-round pick is protected under Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement. The Mariners have also already forfeited their second round pick in signing Robinson Cano to a 10-year, $240MM contract, meaning they'd "only" be looking at forfeiting their Competitive Balance round pick. Seattle won the final pick of Competitive Balance Round B in last summer's Competitive Balance lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    When did I say it was about foot speed? Probably in a foot race, Paul beats Heisey. My only point was that Paul seemed to have an even lower baseball IQ then Heisey. If you disagree, fine.
    How many times does Heisey have to get thrown out, going second to third on a groundball to the SS, before he learns? How many times does he have to swing at the first pitch after two consecutive walks? How many times does he have to try to throw a guy out at the plate, when he has no chance, and allow a tying or go ahead run to get into scoring position? Reds fans in general have a blindspot when it comes to that guy.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

9. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-09-2014)

How many times does Heisey have to get thrown out, going second to third on a groundball to the SS, before he learns? How many times does he have to swing at the first pitch after two consecutive walks? How many times does he have to try to throw a guy out at the plate, when he has no chance, and allow a tying or go ahead run to get into scoring position? Reds fans in general have a blindspot when it comes to that guy.
    Again, where did I say Heisey was all that and a bag of chips?? Are you reading what I am writing? I am saying Heisey may not be good in the field and bases, but Paul was worse in those areas.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/242

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that the Reds and Homer Bailey are still very far apart on a potential long-term contract extension.
    Crasnick describes an "enormous gap" between what Bailey is asking for and what the Reds are currently offering. There is mutual interest on both sides in getting a deal done, but it looks like this one will still take some work to appease both parties. Feb 8 - 1:57 PM
    Source: Jerry Crasnick on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Again, where did I say Heisey was all that and a bag of chips?? Are you reading what I am writing? I am saying Heisey may not be good in the field and bases, but Paul was worse in those areas.
    I don't have the same amount of history watching Xavier Paul as Chris Heisey. More or less, I have seen Heisey play most of his games in the big leagues. Heisey has more experience across the board. He still makes the same mistakes, he doesn't learn. I assume that Dusty Baker, being a "old school guy" mentioned this stuff to him. One might extrapolate, that this is why he "didn't get his chance" to be given a starting job. I expect more out of a player that is farther along in his big league career.

Can we agree that Dave Sappelt is the worst of the group?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I don't have the same amount of history watching Xavier Paul as Chris Heisey. More or less, I have seen Heisey play most of his games in the big leagues. Heisey has more experience across the board. He still makes the same mistakes, he doesn't learn. I assume that Dusty Baker, being a "old school guy" mentioned this stuff to him. One might extrapolate, that this is why he "didn't get his chance" to be given a starting job. I expect more out of a player that is farther along in his big league career.

Can we agree that Dave Sappelt is the worst of the group?
    lol sure. Deal!

The Padres Have an outfield of Carlos Quentin, Cameron Maybin, Chris Denorfia and Kyle Blanks from the right side and Rhymer Liriano, Seth Smith and Will Venable from the left. Find a way to get Will Venable from the Padres or maybe Gerardo Parra from the D-Backs, Just one decent LH OF bat to add to the mix. Is that bar to high? If it is, just pack it the freak in. Offer them something like Rogers or Corcino, Ondrusek and YRod
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-09-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Whatever value Heisey brings with power and defense, he is wiping out by his plate approach. His walk rate last year was below 4%. (K rate almost 21%.) We use the term a lot, but he's become the classic out machine.

Paul wasn't a good fielder. But his plate approach was far superior to Heisey's.

IMO you can't have a bunch of players with below .300 OBPs on your team. Even .310 isn't very good. Heisey needs to work on this problem or nobody will want him as his price tag goes up in arbitration and he'll find himself signing minor league contracts with spring training invites.
    What's considered good for a bench player? 330 OBP?
    I agree that OBP is important, but I think people are splitting hairs a bit.
    A bench guy that gets 100 plate appearances.. 020 more points of OBP (compared to the 310 benchmark) is just reaching base 2 more times.

Heisey is valuable on the bench because he can play all 3 OF spots pretty well.
    If he could actually hit/OBP well, he'd be a starter.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    What's considered good for a bench player? 330 OBP?
    I agree that OBP is important, but I think people are splitting hairs a bit.
    A bench guy that gets 100 plate appearances.. 020 more points of OBP (compared to the 310 benchmark) is just reaching base 2 more times.

Heisey is valuable on the bench because he can play all 3 OF spots pretty well.
    If he could actually hit/OBP well, he'd be a starter.
    Heisey had a .279 OBP and a 3.7 percent walk rate last year. And almost 21 percent K rate. I don't think it's splitting hairs to be unhappy with that. And he had 244 PAs.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-09-2014 at 01:05 AM.

18. Likes:

HokieRed (02-09-2014),mbgrayson (02-09-2014),RedlegJake (02-09-2014)

I agree with KC on Heisey. His value is all in his defensive versatility and that's not what got him to the majors. Having some pop potential got him here but he's regressed imo.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

20. Likes:

HokieRed (02-09-2014),Wonderful Monds (02-09-2014)

Turn Off Ads?