Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

I wasn't thinking Cozart v Drew so much as Phillips v Drew. I like Drew better because I expect a higher OBP and better value over the life of the contract.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Your list is skewed by 2012 in which Drew was coming off a serious ankle break with ligament damage, missed several months, then had limited at bats for two teams, and didn't do well.

His 2011 was cut short due to this injury.

Ok, thanks, didn't realize this. In light of this info, the case for signing Drew is stronger.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Ok, thanks, didn't realize this. In light of this info, the case for signing Drew is stronger.
    Drew and Phillips, if both healthy, would be a tremendous middle infield for now. Not too many teams have offense and defense that good.

However, they would be an expensive middle infield, both have injury histories, and both are 30 or more.

If the Reds are intent on playing Hamilton this year, the addition of Drew would help the offense, particularly against RHP.

Might go with

Hamilton
    Drew
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Frazier
    Mesoraco

or could switch Phillips and Drew. Or could hit Drew and Phillips 1-2 and hit BH eighth to begin.

Not bad.

5. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (12-30-2013),Benihana (12-30-2013)

Walt confirmed today what we've known for quite sometime:

“It’s been very quiet,” Jocketty said Friday. “I haven’t had one discussion with another team or an agent. That could change next week. But I think if we do anything, it will probably be a smaller type of deal.”

The reason is the Reds are at or near their budget for player payroll.

Free agent Bronson Arroyo is still out there and probably will to sign for less that this point, but he’s still unlikely out of the Reds’ price range.

“I don’t see how we make it fit financially,” Jocketty said.

There’s been some speculation about the Reds and free agents who received a qualifying offer, meaning the Reds would lose a draft pick to sign them. I didn’t spend much time on Twitter over the break, but I did see Stepthen Drew and Nelson Cruz mentioned.

Jocketty said flatly that the Reds won’t sign a free agent of that stature.

“No, definitely not,” he said. “We don’t have the money.”
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

“No, definitely not,” he said. “We don’t have the money.”
    Whose fault is that, but yours Walt?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This is pretty frustrating. I'm also not sure if I believe it. If true, how were they EVER going to be in play for Choo? How were they ever going to offer Arroyo a contract? I get not being able to assume a nine figure contract, but how could they have no room under the budget if they weren't being disingenuous about those moves?

I'll admit, every year I get frustrated with Walt and at my boiling point, he usually surprises me with a splashy move. I was hoping this year would be no different, but I am beginning to lose hope. I'm hoping history repeats itself but I'm not optimistic.

If payroll is really THE limiting factor, the Broxton signing was even more awful than I thought. And I hated it at the time.
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

Always Red (01-06-2014),dougdirt (01-03-2014),Red Raindog (01-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If payroll is really THE limiting factor, the Broxton signing was even more awful than I thought. And I hated it at the time.
    I'm right there with you on this. Terrible, terrible move.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I don't care about the "not signing free agents" stuff as much as the "we don't have the money" stuff.

12. Likes:

757690 (01-03-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-03-2014)

What I don't get is the week after the season Walt said, "I know how to build a winner. I've done it before." And said the team needed to address both the leadoff spot and the #4 spot.

This was after the season. Then nothing. If they didn't have the money why did he even say that? Something doesn't add up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    What I don't get is the week after the season Walt said, "I know how to build a winner. I've done it before." And said the team needed to address both the leadoff spot and the #4 spot.

This was after the season. Then nothing. If they didn't have the money why did he even say that? Something doesn't add up to me.
    I think he thought he was going to move BP. When he didn't, the plan fell apart.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    2011 Part II: Electric Boogaloo

I expect nothing from the Reds this coming season. Incredible.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

3rd place must be status quo now

I'm sure if the right move came around money could be found.
    Where we gonna go?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    3rd place must be status quo now
    Maybe in 2014. After that it might be best case scenario considering the track Theo has the Cubs on.

19. Likes:

Benihana (01-03-2014)

Well, if it's true the reds have zero money to spend I don't see how they will be able to sign Bailey or Latos after this year. It's not like Bruce, Votto and Phillips get a lot cheaper. Looks like the window is closing.

Turn Off Ads?