Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

I just think it is really obvious Homer Bailey will be pitching for another team in 2015. The Reds are not going to give him what he wants, and I don't blame him for wanting a lot. He is seeing these deals with Kershaw, Tanaka, Anibal Sanchez (2013), and Garza and he correctly thinks he can shoot for the moon. An AL team will back up a Brinks truck to him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Id rather have Latos anyways and I think the odds are much better that he wants to stay in Cincy than Bailey.

I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to be in Cincy.

To quote my dad:

"Money talks and bull**** walks"

So realistically, what are you guys' thinking Bailey will seek / get in a longer-term deal? He's 27, so would he take a four or five year deal to get him to a point where he could still have enough in the tank to reevaluate another move in his early 30's?

Someone mentioned Anibal Sanchez, who was close in age when he extended with Detroit, but had a better / longer track record of success than Homer does. Still, Homer would be extending on the other side of some of the contracts that have been inked this off-season, so I'm not sure someone wouldn't give him a similar contract. (us or otherwise)

$75 M / 5? Is that way too much? Way too low? Too few years? What are you guys thinking?

I think he is probably seeking a long term $100 mil contract

7. Likes:

Larkin88 (01-27-2014), REDREAD (01-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    So realistically, what are you guys' thinking Bailey will seek / get in a longer-term deal? He's 27, so would he take a four or five year deal to get him to a point where he could still have enough in the tank to reevaluate another move in his early 30's?

Someone mentioned Anibal Sanchez, who was close in age when he extended with Detroit, but had a better / longer track record of success than Homer does. Still, Homer would be extending on the other side of some of the contracts that have been inked this off-season, so I'm not sure someone wouldn't give him a similar contract. (us or otherwise)

$75 M / 5? Is that way too much? Way too low? Too few years? What are you guys thinking?
    That's what Im thinking but I have a feeling that Homer and I are not residing on the same wavelength.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I just think it is really obvious Homer Bailey will be pitching for another team in 2015. The Reds are not going to give him what he wants, and I don't blame him for wanting a lot. He is seeing these deals with Kershaw, Tanaka, Anibal Sanchez (2013), and Garza and he correctly thinks he can shoot for the moon. An AL team will back up a Brinks truck to him.
    The home-state Rangers and Astros may already be loading theirs up. The Astros have a load of talent getting close and they have the money. They made serious efforts (from their point of view) for Choo and Tanaka this year. I can see a fairly local guy like Homer an offseason focal point and be willing to overpay next offseason.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Nearing Deal With Chris Nelson

By Steve Adams [January 27 at 11:55am CST]

The Reds are nearing a contract with infielder Chris Nelson, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter). The Williams & Connolly client split last season between the Rockies, Yankees and Angels.

The 28-year-old Nelson is a former No. 9 overall pick (by the Rockies in 2004) but hasn't displayed that pedigree at the Major League level to this point. Nelson is a career .268/.312/.399 hitter and has experience at both second base and third base, though defensive metrics such as UZR and DRS are down on his work at each position.

Nelson's best season came with the Rox in 2012 when he slashed .301/.352/.458 in 377 plate appearances, but that line was propped up by a .374 batting average on balls in play that was predictably not sustainable. Nelson saw his strikeout rate climb to 29 percent in 2013, and with the drop in BABIP (down to .313), the result was a combined .227/.273/.327 batting line in 227 PAs.

So if the Reds decide they can't extend him, what would be better: Trading Homer or letting him walk and getting the draft compensation?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

trading him

Chris Nelson rumor going around Twitter. I like him
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Rockies To Sign Paul Janish

By Steve Adams [January 27 at 11:11am CST]

The Rockies will sign shortstop Paul Janish to a minor league deal with an invitation to Spring Training, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter). Janish is a client of Moye Sports Associates.

Janish, 31, is the epitmoe of a glove-first player, as evidenced by the fact that he appeared in 52 games with the Braves in 2013 but received just 45 plate appearances. Janish batted .171/.222/.220 in that small sample and is a career .214/.284/.288 batter in 1206 PAs between the Reds and Braves. His defense is his calling card; in 2403 career innings at shortstop he's posted a +10.1 UZR/150, and Defensive Runs Saved has pegged him at +23 in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    So if the Reds decide they can't extend him, what would be better: Trading Homer or letting him walk and getting the draft compensation?
    It depends what they would get back and what position they're in come late July.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Either. If you are going to keep him, cowboy up, bolster the offense and make a serious run. I you haven't got the stones for that, then deal him IF you can get a top return for him. With a TOR pitcher in his prime for a full year of service and the possibility of a draft choice by dealing for him now, some team should be willing to pay a fairly decent premium.

17. Likes:

RedlegJake (01-27-2014)

Curious what other think. Minnesota wants another starting pitcher. If the Reds cant extend Bailey, Why not see if the Twins bite on this..Bailey, Corcino and Frazier for Miguel Sano?? He is a top prospect and plays 3rd base. I like Frazier, but if the Reds could get Sano, he could be the next great power hitter the Reds truly need. this enough to get it done?

Turn Off Ads?