Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Has there been any tire kicking on one Chase Headley? Being able to pry him out of San Diego and move Frazier to left field would make this team a lot more dangerous at the plate, IMO.
    It would probably cost a top 3 prospect, and I don't see the Reds giving them Hamilton, Ervin or Stephenson.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Has there been any tire kicking on one Chase Headley? Being able to pry him out of San Diego and move Frazier to left field would make this team a lot more dangerous at the plate, IMO.
    And probably a lot less dangerous on the mound.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/r...players-012814
    MURKY FUTURE IN CINCINNATI

If the Reds aren’t thinking about trading a starter, maybe they should be. Right-hander Homer Bailey is a free agent after this season, and righties Mat Latos, Mike Leake and Johnny Cueto all could be free after 2015.

At some point, something has to give.

The Reds are trying to sign Bailey to an extension, but that might not be easy to do — Bailey, who turns 28 on May 3, is coming off two straight impressive seasons, and could seek $15 million to $17 million annually for his free-agent years.

Would the Reds want Bailey and first baseman Joey Votto accounting for nearly 40 percent of their payroll if they stayed in the $110 million range?

Latos, Leake and Cueto, meanwhile, are not all long-term solutions; just as the Reds are replacing righty Bronson Arroyo with lefty Tony Cingrani this season, they will replace one of the others with their top prospect, right-hander Robert Stephenson, as soon as ’15.

Why not be proactive and move one of the veterans now? The Reds could acquire a young starter as part of the return, then sign one of the many available free agents for immediate help.

Such moves, however, might compromise the club short term, something the Reds apparently do not want to do. A trade of Latos, Leake or Cueto might be more likely after next season, particularly if the Reds fail to make the playoffs.

In any case, the Reds will need to be creative to compete in the NL Central with the defending National League champion St. Louis Cardinals, who are in a far more flexible position.

The Cardinals possess not only greater resources than the Reds, but also more affordable young talent.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Rangers Claim Pedro Figueroa, Designate Chaz Roe

By Jeff Todd [January 29 at 2:35pm CST]

The Rangers have claimed southpaw Pedro Figueroa off of waivers from the Rays, the club announced via press release. Righty Chaz Roe was designated for assignment to clear roster space.

Figueroa, 28, had been in DFA limbo since being designated by the Rays to make room for the Grant Balfour signing. Obviously, Tampa ultimately placed him on release waivers -- the second time Figueroa has changed hands by this method in the last month. Spending most of his time at Triple-A last year with Oakland, Figueroa threw to a 4.10 ERA and 7.4 K/9 against 5.0 BB/9 in 59 1/3 innings.

Roe, a 27-year-old reliever, came to Texas via waiver claim in early November. Pitching last year for the Diamondbacks, Roe threw 22 1/3 innings of 4.03 ERA ball, with 9.7 K/9 and 5.2 BB/9. Roe was originally the 32nd overall choice in the 2005 draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5569/chaz-roe

Rangers designated RHP Chaz Roe for assignment.

The move clears a spot for left-hander Pedro Figueroa on the 40-man roster. Roe, who was claimed off waivers from the Diamondbacks in November, had a 4.03 ERA and 24 strikeouts over 22 1/3 innings at the major league level last year. He could generate interest on waivers once again. Jan 29 - 3:39 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

Rangers Claim Pedro Figueroa, Designate Chaz Roe

By Jeff Todd [January 29 at 2:35pm CST]

The Rangers have claimed southpaw Pedro Figueroa off of waivers from the Rays, the club announced via press release. Righty Chaz Roe was designated for assignment to clear roster space.

Figueroa, 28, had been in DFA limbo since being designated by the Rays to make room for the Grant Balfour signing. Obviously, Tampa ultimately placed him on release waivers -- the second time Figueroa has changed hands by this method in the last month. Spending most of his time at Triple-A last year with Oakland, Figueroa threw to a 4.10 ERA and 7.4 K/9 against 5.0 BB/9 in 59 1/3 innings.

Roe, a 27-year-old reliever, came to Texas via waiver claim in early November. Pitching last year for the Diamondbacks, Roe threw 22 1/3 innings of 4.03 ERA ball, with 9.7 K/9 and 5.2 BB/9. Roe was originally the 32nd overall choice in the 2005 draft.
    they designate a guy to get almost the exact same guy a year older.

ok....
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Reds To Sign Ramon Santiago

By Jeff Todd [January 29 at 3:05pm CST]

The Reds have reached agreement on a minor league deal with infielder Ramon Santiago, reports CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman (Twitter links). Santiago gets a Spring Training invitation, and will earn $1.1MM if he breaks camp with the club.

Reds sign Ramon Santiago aka Cesar Izturis 2.0.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman...e=JonHeymanCBS
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Reds To Sign Ramon Santiago

By Jeff Todd [January 29, 2014 at 3:05pm CST]

The Reds have reached agreement on a minor league deal with infielder Ramon Santiago, reports CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman (Twitter links). Santiago gets a Spring Training invitation, and will earn $1.1MM if he breaks camp with the club.

The 34-year-old Santiago has been a regular utility cog with the Tigers for ten of the last twelve years. Since his one season of everyday playing time in 2003, Santiago has only once exceeded 300 plate appearances, but has received at least 150 in each of the last six campaigns. In 2013, Santiago stepped up to bat 234 times and registered a .224/.298/.288 triple-slash, continuing a downturn in his stat line that began the year before. Santiago still rates out well with his glove, however, and boasts generally solid defensive metrics up the middle and at third.

I'm all for re-upping Homer as long as they have the resources and will to sign Latos as well. If not, I'd deal Homer and go all-in with Mat. I think with the upcoming media (national and local) money, they can afford to keep two of the four (as well as Joey and Jay's deals). If they can sew up Bailey and Latos, I'd be all for dealing Cueto and Leake for young talent by 2015 ST. If they can only sign one of the big two, it needs to be Latos and then look at one of Cueto (no more than three years) and Leake.

I would be great with a rotation of Latos, Bailey/Cueto, Stephenson, Cingrani and one of Holmberg, Corcino, Rogers, Moscot, Lively, Guillon... by Opening Day 1206 (if not sooner).

I do agree with the writer that they do either have to get some kind of return from at lest two of the four by next offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'm all for re-upping Homer as long as they have the resources and will to sign Latos as well. If not, I'd deal Homer and go all-in with Mat. I think with the upcoming media (national and local) money, they can afford to keep two of the four (as well as Joey and Jay's deals). If they can sew up Bailey and Latos, I'd be all for dealing Cueto and Leake for young talent by 2015 ST. If they can only sign one of the big two, it needs to be Latos and then look at one of Cueto (no more than three years) and Leake.

I would be great with a rotation of Latos, Bailey/Cueto, Stephenson, Cingrani and one of Holmberg, Corcino, Rogers, Moscot, Lively, Guillon... by Opening Day 1206 (if not sooner).

I do agree with the writer that they do either have to get some kind of return from at lest two of the four by next offseason.
    Which, coincidentally (or not) was also the year that Ghengis Khan became the first ruler of the Mongol Empire. Perhaps Stephenson will be the new Khan.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (01-30-2014),Kc61 (01-29-2014),RedlegJake (01-29-2014),Revering4Blue (01-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post

As I said in a much maligned thread fairly recently - if the Reds are really in a financial box they will have to trade pitching. Or they can watch Bailey, Latos, and Chapman eventually leave with sandwich picks the return.

They know this but want to try for a lucky and strong 2014. But they didn't help the offense so it is half-hearted, and if Bailey doesn't sign long-term, he must be on a trade watch. If the season doesn't go that well or if Stephenson looks ready, Homer will and should get traded if he's a pending FA. He stays the full season only if the team is truly in the hunt.

If Bailey just leaves as a FA, then next year they are probably even weaker, and with Latos on his last year. Etc., etc., etc. It's not a good direction.

I'm ok with waiting a bit, but eventually if they really lack the resources, they just must rebuild around Votto, Bruce, Hamilton, and Stephenson. Two signed mainstays and two excellent young talents. And, of course, any other players who fit financially and look good for the future.

They have a lot of assets, it's just a matter of playing things correctly. In the end, if they handle it well, I think they will be an even better team than they currently have. Much better. They have huge trade chips right now and need to be realistic about how to mold this into a true championship club. Which I believe they can do.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-29-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Bronson Arroyo Says He Has Yet To Receive An Offer

By Jeff Todd [January 29 at 3:55pm CST]

In spite of interest from twelve clubs, free agent starter Bronson Arroyo says that he has yet to receive an actual hard offer from a club, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports. "I am a guy who's performed for the last 10 years as consistently as anybody in the game," said Arroyo. "And for some reason, nobody's thrown me an offer yet."

Approaching his age-37 season, Arroyo is represented by Terry Bross. He has posted an earned run average of less than four runs per nine innings in four of his last five seasons, and has made at least 32 starts in every season since 2005. Last year, in 202 innings, Arroyo posted a 3.79 ERA and 5.5 K/9 against 1.5 BB/9.

The pitcher's statements are somewhat surprising in light of the widespread interest he has reportedly received. The veteran's name has been amongst the most-mentioned on MLBTR, in large part due to his outstanding record of durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    "I am a guy who's performed for the last 10 years as consistently as anybody in the game," said Arroyo.
    Gotta point there. But durability isn't sexy.

It's those meat commercials.

Turn Off Ads?