Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/m...iley-extension

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told Jim Bowden of SiriusXM Sunday that enough progress has been made in Homer Bailey extension talks that he hopes a deal will get done.
    Recent reports had suggested the two sides were still far apart, but apparently the gap has been closed. Bailey said Friday that a one-year deal hasn't really been discussed as the sides are focused on hammering out a long-term pact. The right-hander requested $11.6 million last month and was offered $8.7 million from the Reds in his final year of arbitration eligibility.

2. Likes:

LoganBuck (02-16-2014),marcshoe (02-16-2014),REDREAD (02-16-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Walt on SiriusXM with Jim Bowden
    Audio https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsport...pects-to-get-a
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

5. Likes:

marcshoe (02-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/m...iley-extension

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told Jim Bowden of SiriusXM Sunday that enough progress has been made in Homer Bailey extension talks that he hopes a deal will get done.
    Recent reports had suggested the two sides were still far apart, but apparently the gap has been closed. Bailey said Friday that a one-year deal hasn't really been discussed as the sides are focused on hammering out a long-term pact. The right-hander requested $11.6 million last month and was offered $8.7 million from the Reds in his final year of arbitration eligibility.
    Still got my doubts, but I'd love to see him get it done. I'm really hoping they're waiting to see how the Bailey talks go before making any other moves to see what resources are available. Not real happy with the off season to-date, but a Bailey signing and a LH bat to split time with Ludwick (and possibly Billy as well) would lift my grade from an F to a B.

Sign Homer and deal for a bat like Gerardo Parra or Will Venable LH bats who can play all three OF spots) and I'd be perfectly happy. Still not holding my breath though.

I wonder if the Padres would take a couple of young arms (not named Stephenson or Lorenzen) for Venable?

Very pleased to see Soto working behind the plate. Going into last season, I'd pretty-much written off Neftali as ever having much-if-any value for the big club. With him working more at 3B last year and now catching again, he could give them nice value as a corner utility guy once they shed themselves of Hannahan. Wouldn't mind seeing him come in late in some pre-season games and work a little in LF as well.

Developing some young guys who may not be full-time starter quality, but can handle bench roles is like gold for this franchise. Cheap and controllable for several years and with more offensive potential than the usual bench-dreck Walt signs.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Very pleased to see Soto working behind the plate. Going into last season, I'd pretty-much written off Neftali as ever having much-if-any value for the big club. With him working more at 3B last year and now catching again, he could give them nice value as a corner utility guy once they shed themselves of Hannahan. Wouldn't mind seeing him come in late in some pre-season games and work a little in LF as well.

Developing some young guys who may not be full-time starter quality, but can handle bench roles is like gold for this franchise. Cheap and controllable for several years and with more offensive potential than the usual bench-dreck Walt signs.
    So: Soto is potentially "gold" for the franchise; the veterans Walt acquires for the bench are "bench-dreck." Aren't we using a bit of a double standard here?

Soto has had over 1,000 AAA plate appearances. He's yet to make it to .730 OPS at Louisville. He had 26 walks in 495 PAs last season. I wish him luck, but I think there's a reason the Reds prefer veteran bench players than some of these "prospects" we all hold so dearly.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-16-2014 at 03:45 PM.

9. Likes:

HokieRed (02-16-2014),tomnuetten (02-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So: Soto is potentially "gold" for the franchise; the veterans Walt acquires for the bench are "bench-dreck." Aren't we using a bit of a double standard here?

Soto has had over 1,000 AAA plate appearances. He's yet to make it to .730 OPS at Louisville. He had 26 walks in 495 PAs last season. I wish him luck, but I think there's a reason the Reds prefer veteran bench players than some of these "prospects" we all hold so dearly.
    I'm not sure anyone holds Soto very dear - we're in the 40s in RZ's prospect polls and Soto has not made the list yet. A successful transition back to catching may simply give Soto enough utility to be more viable as a bench player.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Homer Bailey, Reds Progressing Toward Deal

By Charlie Wilmoth [February 16 at 6:59pm CST]

Homer Bailey and the Reds are "getting close" on a six-year deal worth around $100MM, Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer tweets. Earlier today, ESPN's Jim Bowden reported Reds GM Walt Jocketty had said he was hopeful the two sides could reach a deal. Bailey is represented by Excel Sports Management.

Bailey is eligible for free agency after the season, and as a relatively young pitcher coming off a strong season in Cincinnati (209 innings, 3.49 ERA, 8.6 K/9, 2.3 BB/9), he figures to be in line for a large contract once he does. Bailey has asked for $11.6MM in his last year of arbitration eligibility, with the Reds filing for $8.7MM. He made $5.35MM in 2013.

The reason I say guys like Soto (and young guys like him) are gold for the Reds is that they can at least provide the potential for some kind of offense for the Reds off the bench at a minimal salary and under club control. Guys like Lutz, LeMarre, maybe even HRod (if he passes thru waivers and can regain his stroke - heck possibly even YRod in a year or so. Beats being tied to Hannahan for $4m and 2 years. At least if a youngster like Soto were to just flatout suck they can cut them loose and find a better option than a vet that ties up a spot and is an offensive blackhole. If you need a defensive option in case of injury, stash'em in L'ville.

Maybe Soto is not the best example of what I'm saying, but at least he has some semblance of a chance at .700+ OPS - Hannahan has none. Even if you told me that both Soto and Hannahan were going to OPS .655 (JH's career number), I'd still go with Soto because he'd still be more likely to get you a late-inning XBH than Hannahan and at over a million dollars less a year (oh yeah - he's also dumpable - something Hannahan unfortunately isn't).

I'm not saying by any means that there should not be any vets on the bench. I'm actually fine with Heisey, Schumaker and Pena being there and I'm yelling for Walt to add someone along the lines of a Venable or Parra, but when it comes to dead wood (literally) like Hannahan or Santiago? Give a kid a chance instead.

The more young, controllable guys they can slot into the 25-man roster (especially the bench and pen) the more payroll and roster flexibility there is.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-17-2014 at 03:54 AM.

The reason I say guys like Soto (and young guys like him) are gold for the Reds is that they can at least provide the potential for some kind of offense for the Reds off the bench at a minimal salary and under club control. Guys like Lutz, LeMarre, maybe even HRod (if he passes thru waivers and can regain his stroke - heck possibly even YRod in a year or so. Beats being tied to Hannahan for $4m and 2 years. At least if a youngster like Soto were to just flatout suck they can cut them loose and find a better option than a vet that ties up a spot and is an offensive blackhole. If you need a defensive option in case of injury, stash'em in L'ville.

Maybe Soto is not the best example of what I'm saying, but at least he has some semblance of a chance at .700+ OPS - Hannahan has none. Even if you told me that both Soto and Hannahan were going to OPS .655 (JH's career number), I'd still go with Soto because he'd still be more likely to get you a late-inning XBH than Hannahan and at over a million dollars less a year (oh yeah - he's also dumpable - something Hannahan unfortunately isn't).

I'm not saying by any means that there should not be any vets on the bench. I'm actually fine with Heisey, Schumaker and Pena being there and I'm yelling for Walt to add someone along the lines of a Venable or Parra, but when it comes to dead wood (literally) like Hannahan or Santiago? Give a kid a chance instead.

The more young, controllable guys they can slot into the 25-man roster (especially the bench and pen) the more payroll and roster flexibility there is.
    The Reds obviously value defense and experience on the bench. And they don't assume that a guy can hit major league pitching because he is a "kid." And sometimes they sign bench players who had decent major league hitting years in the past.

If the Reds had "kids" ready to contribute on the bench, I think we'd be reading about them as serious contenders for a 25-man roster spot.

Some confirmation from Bailey:

Bailey confirmed to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he and the Reds are getting closer to a multi-year extension, though he didn't comment on specific parameters: "We're going in the right direction. The majority of it is worked out," the right-hander told Fay

The Reds obviously value defense and experience on the bench. And they don't assume that a guy can hit major league pitching because he is a "kid." And sometimes they sign bench players who had decent major league hitting years in the past.

If the Reds had "kids" ready to contribute on the bench, I think we'd be reading about them as serious contenders for a 25-man roster spot.
    Seems obvious, but why? And why not assume a young guy might hit major league pitching when you're willing to use two five spots on rusty vets that you know won't?

Why do you need a no-hit, backup bench guy?

Scenario 1: You have a bench of Schumaker, Heisey, Pena, Bernadina and Lutz. Seventh-inning and Cozart rolls an ankle. You have no reserve SS, what the worst thing that happens? You ask Phillips to move to SS for a couple of innings and replace him at 2B with Schumaker? You ask Billy to go to SS and replace him with Heisey?

Two out comes:

a) After the game you find that Cozrt's ankle is going to need a DL stint - you put him on the DL and call up Santiago or Argenis Diaz from L'Ville.

b) Cozart's ankle is not that bad, but he will be day-to-day for a week - you send Lutz to L'Ville for about 10 days of regular AB's and call up Santiago or Diaz or whoever the 1B-challenged SS you have stashed there. Same thing if you reach a point where Cozart needs a day off.

Scenario 2: Same as above, except you replace Lutz on the bench with Santiago. Cozart rolls and ankle in the 7th. You just replace him with Santiago, right? Buzz! Wrong! You just pinch-hit Santiago the inning before and he's unavailable, so you ask Phillips to move to SS for a couple of innings and replace him at 2B with Schumaker or you ask Billy to go to SS and replace him with Heisey.

At the most, you have a jerry-rigged lineup with a guys out of position for 8 or 9 inning and then you summon the no-hit guy from L'Ville.

There is not good reason for guy who has proven he can't hit on a five-man bench. Actually, Santiago is not the best example here. Up until last year, he has shown signs of being able to minimally contribute something with the bat and he can play SS. The better example here would have been to use Hannahan. Unfortunately, he's even a worse SS option than Phillips or Billy which makes him an even dumber no-hit bench option.

If you really must have a guy who is not going to contribute offensively on the bench, make him a guy that backs SS. Never a guy proven to be as 1B-challenged as Hannahan. And never one who is backing a corner spot. Yeah, give me Soto instead. At least with him, you can send him down and bring up the next guy if its not working, unlike Hannahan who is sewn into a spot.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-17-2014 at 12:42 PM.

16. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (02-18-2014)

No we wouldn't, because Walt guaranteed their spot to Hannahan with his contract.

Fearless prediction: Jack Hannahan will emerge as a fan favorite during the 2014 season.

I don't know if I believe it, but I love irony.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (02-19-2014)

No we wouldn't, because Walt guaranteed their spot to Hannahan with his contract.
    I don't have time to answer all these posts, I don't agree with most of it. I'm not in favor of no-hit bench players. But a team does need players who can play some defense in case they are needed mid-game. Sometimes you accept a bit less hitting for a guy who plays the field too.

And I don't believe in using the regular season bench as a tryout camp for minor leaguers who haven't distinguished themselves.

As far as Hannahan being unable to get on base ("1B-challenged") he had a higher OBP last year than Soto (at AAA and MLB), Mesoraco, Cozart, Heisey, Frazier, Lutz (MLB), Phillips, and Ludwick. Maybe you meant something else.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-17-2014 at 04:14 PM.

MLBTR says Ubaldo Jimenez working to finalize deal with Orioles.

Turn Off Ads?