Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Fearless prediction: Jack Hannahan will emerge as a fan favorite during the 2014 season.

I don't know if I believe it, but I love irony.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (02-19-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    No we wouldn't, because Walt guaranteed their spot to Hannahan with his contract.
    I don't have time to answer all these posts, I don't agree with most of it. I'm not in favor of no-hit bench players. But a team does need players who can play some defense in case they are needed mid-game. Sometimes you accept a bit less hitting for a guy who plays the field too.

And I don't believe in using the regular season bench as a tryout camp for minor leaguers who haven't distinguished themselves.

As far as Hannahan being unable to get on base ("1B-challenged") he had a higher OBP last year than Soto (at AAA and MLB), Mesoraco, Cozart, Heisey, Frazier, Lutz (MLB), Phillips, and Ludwick. Maybe you meant something else.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-17-2014 at 04:14 PM.

MLBTR says Ubaldo Jimenez working to finalize deal with Orioles.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Orioles Nearing Deal With Ubaldo Jimenez

By Jeff Todd [February 17 at 5:20pm CST]

The Orioles are working to finalize a deal with free agent starter Ubaldo Jimenez, reports MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko. The contract under consideration is believed to be for four years and $48MM.

Jimenez, 30, is one of the premier remaining available free agents. He checked in at 11th on the top fifty free agent list of MLBTR's Tim Dierkes.

If Jimenez does indeed sign with the Orioles, his new employer would be required to sacrifice the 17th overall choice in the 2014 amateur draft. Meanwhile, the Indians -- Jimenez's former club -- would add a sandwich-round compensation pick.

Orioles To Sign Ubaldo Jimenez

By Jeff Todd [February 17 at 5:51pm CST]

The Orioles have agreed to terms with free agent starter Ubaldo Jimenez, pending physical, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). It was recently reported by MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko that the sides were nearing agreement, with the terms believed to be in the range of four-years and $48MM. Promising a fourth year was necessary, tweets Kubatko, due to interest from multiple other AL East clubs, including the Blue Jays.

Because Jimenez turned down a qualifying offer, the Orioles will part with their first-round choice (17th overall) in the upcoming 2014 amateur draft in order to add him to their roster. Meanwhile, the Indians officially pick up a compensation pick in the sandwich round as compensation.

The Cincinnati Reds now have pick #19 and comp pick #30 in the draft.

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-18-2014)

7:12pm: Jimenez gets four years and $50MM in the deal, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (Twitter links). Some of the money will be deferred, Heyman adds.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Fearless prediction: Jack Hannahan will emerge as a fan favorite during the 2014 season.

I don't know if I believe it, but I love irony.
    now we've heard the name, so that's a start

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

7:12pm: Jimenez gets four years and $50MM in the deal, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (Twitter links). Some of the money will be deferred, Heyman adds.
    I think that's actually a phenomenal deal for the orioles. Look at his peripheral stats; he's only had one bad year in the past 6 and pitched at least 180 innings every season. Could probably end up being a better deal than Bailey.
    Just call me Legs

Homer Bailey, Reds Progressing Toward Deal

By Charlie Wilmoth [February 18 at 1:28pm CST]

TUESDAY: Bailey and the Reds are "on the one-yard line" in their extension talks, tweets Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio.

Indians Avoid Arbitration With Justin Masterson

By Steve Adams [February 18 at 1:32pm CST]

1:32pm: Masterson receives a $9.7625MM salary, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, placing him slightly below the midpoint between his figure and the club's figure.

Tim Byrdak still hoping to pitch this year.

https://twitter.com/Givemethelefty

He is also trying all the Olympic sports out at home.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/...ms-to-sign-him
    Last edited by klw; 02-19-2014 at 09:29 AM.

16. Likes:

SirFelixCat (02-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    I think that's actually a phenomenal deal for the orioles. Look at his peripheral stats; he's only had one bad year in the past 6 and pitched at least 180 innings every season. Could probably end up being a better deal than Bailey.
    I thought the same thing. If they get "good Ubaldo", this is going to be the steal of the offseason.

Rumors are that the Rockies and Indians were suspicious of his motivation when not in a contract year though. I heard that the Indians were only willing to give him a 2 year contract. Note: my sources are unreliable, just something that might of driven down the price of Jimmeniz.

In any event, kind of interesting that Jimminez and Arroyo got similar yearly salaries.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Derrick Robinson (sort of) update
    https://twitter.com/Drob104
    Derrick Robinson ‏@Drob104 15h
    I'll be updating you guys on my status here in the near future!!

Orioles Designate Liam Hendriks For Assignment
    By Jeff Todd [February 19 at 2:52pm CST]

The Orioles have designated righty Liam Hendriks for assignment to clear a roster spot for Ubaldo Jimenez, the club announced. The 25-year-old Aussie has bounced around quite a bit already this offseason, moving from the Twins to the Cubs and then on to Baltimore.

Though Hendricks has been seen as a solid prospect in the past, and has a strong minor league track record to back that up, he has struggled in his early-career MLB action. Over 156 total innings pitched, he sports a 6.06 ERA, with 5.8 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9 and a 40.4% ground-ball rate. Last year was particularly ugly, as he surrendered a disconcerting 1.9 HR/9 en route to a 6.46 ERA in 47 1/3 innings for Minnesota.

Turn Off Ads?