Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going to Canada,What to Expect?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Going to Canada,What to Expect?

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    If you have a data plan on your phone make sure you turn it off while you're up there or you might end up with roaming charges and those are crazy expensive if international rates are not in your plan.
    Oh yeah, that. Great advice.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Never been to Quebec but I have been to France. I heard all the stories of French rudeness. And didn't encounter it once. The English are polite, but a bit cold. The French were polite and warm.
    I had a few issues in Paris, but on the French Riviera and in Bordeaux they were really nice. At one restaurant in Antibes, they were so excited to have American guests they gave us all kinds of free food to try and only charged us for the meals we actually ordered.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

One thing I noticed in Montreal is that when people go out to eat, they usually take their time and stay for a couple hours or more. Service will seem slow. Even at the cafes and pubs, don't go to dinner at 7:30 for a 9pm movie. They're not being rude to you because you're American, they just like to enjoy each others' company and digest their food. So enjoy being on vacation and stay a while. M2 also knows Montreal well and gave us a pretty good list of stuff to do when I took my wife. We went in the summer though. I haven't been up there for quite a while, but I've probably been to Canada 10 times in my life and ALWAYS had more trouble time-wise getting back into the Country.
    Stick to your guns.

Don't worry about ordering at McDonalds. Quarterpounder with cheese has same name in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This could be said about every country in the world.
    While that is true, it seems like there's a disproportionate level of hotness compared to other places I've been.

Thanks for all of the advice! We ended up not going up there. The weather sort of got us. We originally planned to go December 23rd but got up to freezing rain and decided to put it off until the day after Christmas. We got up on the 26th and it was snowing pretty good in North Conway, NH. I checked the road conditions around the border and it said the road were partially ice and snow covered. And after considering I had drive through some high mountains to get over that way we decided not to go. I thought Canada will always be there and just have to go in the summer so weather won't be an issue.
    But thanks again! RZ comes through as always when advice is needed.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

IslandRed (12-30-2013)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Sorry to hear you didn't make it, but summer's the time to go anyway. Hope you can make that happen.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    This can't be stated enough. I've only entered/exited Canada through the Champlain, NY crossings, but I'm assuming they're all the same. Entering Canada is quick, but coming back to the US can be an hour or two wait during busy traveling times like holidays.

As for the country itself, it's not much different than upstate NY, or upper Vermont and New Hampshire. Clean air, no humidity and lots of snow and maple syrup. I think the whole area, on both sides of the border, is beautiful. I'd still live there if not for job transfers. My personal dealings with Cannucks makes me think they're rude and terrible drivers, but the country is beautiful. I highly recommend Old Town Montreal.
    I used to live in Champlain, was born and raised near the border. One of my sons lives in Mooers. Before 9/11, crossing the border either way was not an issue, but things have changed. We still own a wooded lot that is used to produce maple syrup. I agree with your observation on dealing with the French Canadians. Montreal is a great city to visit, wonderful food. Love the smoked meat.

Turn Off Ads?