Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Reds 2014 Payroll

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    87

    Reds 2014 Payroll

    Here is a rough estimate of the Reds 2014 salary obligations.

    Coding is as follows:

    No * means the player has a contract, and that's the right $ figure
    1* means Player goes to arbitration, and I pulled the salary estimates from the Arb thread in the mains.
    2** means Last year's #'s. I'm not sure how much of a salary increase players like Cozart will get from their ~$500K salary. It won't be that much though.

    FWIW. The Reds opening day payroll in 2013 was $107mm. In 2012 it was $88mm.

    In 2013, the Reds had 2.5mm fans, in 2012, the Reds drew 2.35mm fans, so 150,000 more fans in 2013.

    Currently the Reds payroll for next year is estimated to be @ $105mm. (If there are errors with the #'s, point them out and I will recalculate. Or point out if I'm missing someone. Thanks.)

    What's the Reds payroll estimate for 2014 in your opinion? $110mm, $115m? More/Less?

    Player 2014
    Votto, Joey $12,000,000
    Phillips, Brandon $11,000,000
    Bruce, Jay $10,041,667
    Cueto, Johnny $10,000,000
    Bailey, Homer $9,300,000 *
    Ludwick, Ryan $7,500,000
    Latos, Mat $7,250,000
    Broxton, Jonathan $7,000,000
    Leake, Mike $5,900,000 *
    Marshall, Sean $5,500,000
    Chapman, Aroldis $4,600,000 + 4,250,000 bonus*
    Parra, Manny $2,000,000
    Schumaker, Skip $2,000,000
    Arroyo, Bronson $1,875,000 deferred payment #1 of 5
    Heisey, Chris $1,700,000 *
    Simon, Alfredo $1,600,000 *
    Ondrusek, Logan $1,350,000
    Pena, Brayan $1,250,000
    Hannahan, Jack $1,000,000
    LeCure, Sam $1,000,000 *
    Cozart, Zack $527,500 **
    Frazier, Todd $527,500 **
    Mesoraco, Devin $497,500 **
    Hoover, J.J. $492,500 **
    Cingrani, Tony $480,000 **
    Hamilton, Billy $480,000 **

    TOTAL - CIN $111,121,667
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 12-19-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: correct figures for Ladeda

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Mike Honcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Briarcliff Village, KC
    Posts
    226

    Re: Reds 2014 Payroll

    Did you use the arbitration estimator at MLBTR? that with cot's gives what the salary is up to this point.
    They don't think it be like it is but it do.

    Oscar Gamble

  4. #3
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,692

    Re: Reds 2014 Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    Here is a rough estimate of the Reds 2014 salary obligations.

    Coding is as follows:

    No * means the player has a contract, and that's the right $ figure
    1* means Player goes to arbitration, and I pulled the salary estimates from the Arb thread in the mains.
    2** means Last year's #'s. I'm not sure how much of a salary increase players like Cozart will get from their ~$500K salary. It won't be that much though.

    FWIW. The Reds opening day payroll in 2013 was $107mm. In 2012 it was $88mm.

    In 2013, the Reds had 2.5mm fans, in 2012, the Reds drew 2.35mm fans, so 150,000 more fans in 2013.

    Currently the Reds payroll for next year is estimated to be @ $105mm. (If there are errors with the #'s, point them out and I will recalculate. Or point out if I'm missing someone. Thanks.)

    What's the Reds payroll estimate for 2014 in your opinion? $110mm, $115m? More/Less?

    Player 2014
    Votto, Joey $12,000,000
    Phillips, Brandon $11,000,000
    Bruce, Jay $10,041,667
    Cueto, Johnny $10,000,000
    Bailey, Homer $9,300,000 *
    Ludwick, Ryan $7,500,000
    Latos, Mat $7,250,000
    Broxton, Jonathan $7,000,000
    Leake, Mike $5,900,000 *
    Marshall, Sean $5,500,000
    Chapman, Aroldis $4,600,000 *
    Parra, Manny $2,000,000
    Schumaker, Skip $2,000,000
    Heisey, Chris $1,700,000 *
    Simon, Alfredo $1,600,000 *
    Ondrusek, Logan $1,350,000
    Pena, Brayan $1,250,000
    Hannahan, Jack $1,000,000
    LeCure, Sam $1,000,000 *
    Cozart, Zack $527,500 **
    Frazier, Todd $527,500 **
    Mesoraco, Devin $497,500 **
    Hoover, J.J. $492,500 **
    Cingrani, Tony $480,000 **
    Hamilton, Billy $480,000 **
    TOTAL - CIN $104,996,667
    Missing $4.25 Million in bomus money paid to Chapman ($3 Million from his orginal contract that converts to a bonus when he goes to arb and $1.25 Million due each November to 2021).

    Missing any unfunded deferred money paid to Arroyo (Owed $15 Million to be paid through 2021, some may already be funded in an annuity).

    Missing a $2 Million option buy-out that will be owed to Hannahan in November 2014 unless the Reds decide to re-up him for $4 Million for 2015 (in which case they should just give-up).

    Missing a $4.5 Million option buy-out owed to Ludwick in November (some of that will be deferred) unless the Reds decide to re-up him for 2015.

    Add all that and I'd say somewhere between $110 and $115 depending on hpw much of Arroyo is funded and how much of Ludwick is deferred.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    87

    Re: Reds 2014 Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    Did you use the arbitration estimator at MLBTR? that with cot's gives what the salary is up to this point.
    Yes, took the arb #'s from this thread.

    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103718


    And used Cot's Contracts for the other information.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    87

    Re: Reds 2014 Payroll

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Missing $4.25 Million in bomus money paid to Chapman ($3 Million from his orginal contract that converts to a bonus when he goes to arb and $1.25 Million due each November to 2021).

    Missing any unfunded deferred money paid to Arroyo (Owed $15 Million to be paid through 2021, some may already be funded in an annuity).

    Missing a $2 Million option buy-out that will be owed to Hannahan in November 2014 unless the Reds decide to re-up him for $4 Million for 2015 (in which case they should just give-up).

    Missing a $4.5 Million option buy-out owed to Ludwick in November (some of that will be deferred) unless the Reds decide to re-up him for 2015.

    Add all that and I'd say somewhere between $110 and $115 depending on hpw much of Arroyo is funded and how much of Ludwick is deferred.

    Good catches. I'll add Chapman's bonus to his arb #.

    It looks like Arroyo is owed $15mm over the next 8 years, so $1.875mm a year.

    For the buyouts-- I'll leave as is. It's possible the Reds don't exercise the option, but I will put an ** @ the bottom to show the Reds have up to $6.5mm in buyouts due before the end of 2014.

    So the Reds have $111mm in payroll obligations, with up to another $6.5mm in buyouts for 2014.

    Alright, it won't let me edit original post. So there is $6.125mm more due to Chapman and Arroyo next year than is show in the original post
    (I made the edits for you - RLJ)
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 12-19-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added last line about not being able to edit original post to show $6.125mm more in salary for Chapman and Arroyo.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    57

    Re: Reds 2014 Payroll

    Nice effort OP.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25