Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rusney Castillo -Cuban Defector

Rusney Castillo -Cuban Defector

Possible FA acquisition for the Reds?? He shouldn't be as pricey as Cespedes was for the A's.

From Baseball America. http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...ake-up-market/

"Rusney Castillo, a 26-year-old center fielder who had been one of the top players in Cuba, has left the country to pursue a contract with a major league team, Baseball America has learned."

"Castillo is short but has a strong, athletic frame at 5-foot-9, 185 pounds. His best tool is his speed, as hes an above-average runner and one of the better base stealers in Cuba. More of a doubles hitter than a big home run threat, Castillo puts a charge into the ball with a line-drive righthanded swing, though he can get long to the ball at times and some scouts think hes prone to chasing pitches off the plate. Primarily a center fielder in Cuba, Castillo has also played some second and third base, so his versatility could be a draw for some teams. Hes an aggressive, high-energy player, though some teams see him as a fourth outfielder."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rusney Castillo -Cuban Defector

Only if he's relatively cheap. Not enough upside to risk too much, imo.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

There is no telling if that bat plays in the major leagues. Cincy struck gold with Chapman, but then, 103 mph fastballs aren't much of a gamble. 5' 9" CF'ers on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway between View Post
    There is no telling if that bat plays in the major leagues. Cincy struck gold with Chapman, but then, 103 mph fastballs aren't much of a gamble. 5' 9" CF'ers on the other hand...

Who cares that he is 5'9? McCutchen is 5'10 and he's a pretty darn good CF.

I wish the Reds hadn't signed Skip. I wouldn't mind them taking a punt on Rusney if his salary was only for $3-$4mm max per year. The fact that he could also play 2B or 3B is a plus.

Not to mention, you can sign him to a 4 year deal and get him during his prime years as he's just 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    Who cares that he is 5'9? McCutchen is 5'10 and he's a pretty darn good CF.

I wish the Reds hadn't signed Skip. I wouldn't mind them taking a punt on Rusney if his salary was only for $3-$4mm max per year. The fact that he could also play 2B or 3B is a plus.

Not to mention, you can sign him to a 4 year deal and get him during his prime years as he's just 26.
    I liked the Skip signing. He's a proven solid major league piece. We don't know a thing about how this guy would perform in the bigs. But if the Reds would like to take a shot at him, I think it'd be a good thing. Seems to have a useful skillset, versatility and is still young. Maybe sign him, and try to pawn off Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway between View Post
    This. I just feel like they can't all be Chapmans and Puigs.

Quote Originally Posted by LewGra View Post
    This. I just feel like they can't all be Chapmans and Puigs.

He doesn't have to be a Puig to be valuable, especially if you get him for a decent price. That's what it comes down to. If you sign him for $2mm a year, it's worth the risk. $10mm would be insane. He doesn't have to be Puig or Cespedes if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I liked the Skip signing. He's a proven solid major league piece. We don't know a thing about how this guy would perform in the bigs. But if the Reds would like to take a shot at him, I think it'd be a good thing. Seems to have a useful skillset, versatility and is still young. Maybe sign him, and try to pawn off Heisey.

I know this is a thread about Rusney. But I hate the Skip signing. He's getting $2.50mm a year for 2 years. He just came off a $1.5mm contract and he's older and getting worse.

I just think Walt overpaid by $1mm a year on the Skip signing and that's really my big beef with it. I'd rather go with an in house option for the league minimum and pay that guy $1mm over 2 years, vs $5mm over 2 years for Skip.

But to each their own.

Turn Off Ads?