Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Distance Biking

Distance Biking

My kid has announced that he wants to join a 1500 mile ride this summer. He can do it- the program says kids who are a lot less experienced than he have done it- the question is what kind of a bike to buy?

He's 5' 7", 13 years old, growing like satan's weed patch. Right now, he measures for about a 54cm bike and I'm sure he'll outgrow that in a couple years.

I want to get him a good bike that can do the trip, but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on models or how to get a good deal. Right now, there are lots of 2013 bikes on sale. However, as a 25 year, utilitarian bike commuter, I am waaaay out of my element in buying my kid a road bike and am looking for suggestions.

He was looking at a couple bikes yesterday:

Kona Honky Tonk, Shimano STI sora components.
    Raleigh Capri, same components (it's a woman's frame, with narrower handlebars which works for him)
    Last edited by SunDeck; 12-19-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Distance Biking

My friends suggest STEEL (not carbon it will beat him up too fast) for that long a ride, and to pay for a bike fitting if possible, also that price range will give you good results as well as resell value when he outgrows it.

MY BIL weighs in

Since his son is still growing, I would probably be inclined to go up a size from where he is today. They should be able to make adjustments to make it fit him now and re-adjust later as he grows.

For a long trip like that, I might consider investing in a decent set of wheels with deeper rims. Something like 40mm rims gives you more roll. I don't think I would go much more than that as it can make riding in wind a real challenge.

Personally, I like Specialized and Felt. My road bike is a Specialized Roubaix with lower-end components. My tri-bike is a Felt B12 (nicely loaded). Trek also makes really nice bikes. As I said earlier, fit and comfort are the most important aspects.

I will make a plug for choosing a high quality saddle. For long rides, having a comfortable saddle is crucial. When I got my Tri-Bike, I bought an ISM Adamo saddle. It is amazing. I liked it so much, I bought an ISM racing saddle for my road bike. They aren't cheap (~$250), but for long rides they make a HUGE difference. I would encourage your friend's son to try out a bunch of different saddles on the bike he chooses and buy one that feels best to him. A good bike shop should have demo models for you to test drive for a weekend or longer.

That's great advice. It hadn't occurred to me to put different saddles on the bikes to try them. Please tell him thanks!

6. Likes:

westofyou (12-20-2013)

I did a 400 mile week long ride this summer (www.cycleoregon.com) which was my first time doing so many miles in such a short period. I have a carbon frame Giant which I like a lot but I am no expert on bikes. Here are some other things I learned though. Hope it helps.

1. I recommend that you not get the skinny 23 or 25 mm tires and instead opt for 28 or 32 mm. It'll help the ride comfort a lot, especially if road conditions aren't good at times.

2. Invest in 2-3 pairs of really good bike shorts, keep them clean and rotate them daily. I also found that after not using chamois butter (http://chamoisbuttr.com/) the first 2 days I had some pretty brutal chaffing. Bag Balm is your friend when this happens. (http://www.bagbalm.com/) Most pharmacies will carry this.

3. Lastly, and I can't stress this enough. Make sure he knows to use sunscreen on his lips and not a petroleum based lip balm. I can't tell you how many people (including myself) got sunburned lips.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Thanks Pedro- things I don't ever really consider, being a short distance, curb jumper.

Turn Off Ads?