Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Things your spouse/sig other do that annoy you

Re: Things your spouse/sig other do that annoy you

On the occasion she gets fast food/carryout, she never checks the food at the restaurant. She will drive 15 miles home and find that she is missing half the food, or was given someone else's order. This happens often enough, that I can't even get mad about any more. Her response is always why do you get so worked up over food?

My wife also treats the gas grill like it is a volatile nuclear warhead. She is terrified to light the thing, and refuses to change the tank should it run out while cooking. We have a Weber Genesis in good working order, it isn't like we have some whacky thing you have to light with a match.

Her family has a habit of asking me for advice, and then not using it. To the point where I am insulted when they ask, because I know they will ignore me. She knows this, and still will put me in the situation where they ask for my advice and then ignore it. Then when the inevitable I told you so situation comes to pass, I can't say anything. Credit usually goes to the jackass salesman, that sold them both situation 1 and 2. He "Took care of me".
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jwertz View Post
    Things my spouse does that annoy me:

Will occasionally spend money like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

Her taste in t.v. shows is the worst.

Leaving lights on in rooms she is not in, or hasn't been in for some time.

She drives like Kyle Petty on cocaine.
    This is my wife to a tee!

She'll whip out the debit card, but never (and I mean NEVER) look in the checkbook to see what the balance is. She's the only reason I have overdraft protection on our account.

Our TV tastes are totally opposite. All she watches on Directv is the ID Channel (Investigative Discovery), and the Food Network.

She'll leave for work and leaves not only the lights on, but the TV.

I do 100% of driving when we go anywhere, and sometimes that irks me that she never offers to share in the driving (especially on long trips). But I have been a passenger in the car when she's driving. Scares the hell out of me! She flies up on stop signs and then (basically) slams on the brakes while I've got a death grip on the dash. I replace our front brakes more often then most do.

In 31 years of marriage my wife has never admitted it when she is wrong. She obstinately refuses. And when she's shown wrong she'll sarcastically respond "What Ever!". That's the closest you'll ever get to an admission. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

4. Likes:

George Anderson (12-25-2013),REDREAD (01-08-2014)

This just happened..

Her: Don't use that pen, I hate that pen, it's blobby.
    Me: Sooo...lets toss it in the garbage.
    Her: No, save it.

Go Gators!

6. Likes:

REDREAD (01-08-2014),redsfanmia (12-25-2013)

An economics dilemma (or what you get when you marry a dairy farmer's daughter, or what you get by losing sight of the bigger picture)...

Her: "I want a Mountain Dew."

Me: "Well get one".

Her: "But it's $1.89 for a 20 ouncer!"

Me: "There's a 2 liter on sale for $1.25. Get that."

Her: "But i don't want to drink that much!"

Me: "Well, drink 20 ounces and dump the rest down the sink."

Her: "That's wasteful!"

Me: Forehead into palm...

But one that really drives me batty... She turns the temperature down on the water heater randomly to "save money". Jeeps woman. And who the heck fiddles with the damn water heater anyway? I get the notion that you don't create wealth by spending per se but dammit, hot baths were invented for a reason. They are better. It's a quality of life issue. My philosophy-if the water heater blowing up and destroying the house would really just be a minor financial inconvenience, a flipping hot bath isn't going to break us either.

I get it though. She grew up under a paradigm where next month wasn't guaranteed. One out of your control misfortune could mean losing the farm. She doesn't trust the concept of a nest egg..she's seen too many talented, hard working families lose them.

Here's a quirk of hers too... she always has a $20 in her purse. It's important to her. She's never mentioned why she needs to have this so-it's just something that I noticed early on in our marriage. When we were just starting out and struggling with a couple of kids and barely just a pot to pee in, I would sometimes skip meals to make sure there was a twenty in her purse. I don't think she knows that.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

8. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-28-2013)

Jojo .... I totally get your wife.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Jojo .... I totally get your wife.
    Do you take on projects in order to rationalize buying tools you want too?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

TeamCasey (12-27-2013)

I'm 35 years old, no children, and there is a damn chore board in my house. I'll leave it at that.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-27-2013),SunDeck (01-06-2014)

OK, so I'll tell one tale out of school.

My wife thinks a lot. She's always 2-3-4 steps ahead and is planning for tomorrow, the weekend, some party 3 months out, and probably Easter next spring. Honest to God, she's already started making Christmas lists for next year.

Her mind is always churning. The issue I have is that she thinks and thinks and thinks and then starts talking. The problem is, she's starts talking at about step 14 and doesn't realize that I haven't heard her thinking and steps 1-13.

So she's at step 14 and I'm frantically trying to pick up clues as to what the hell it is she's talking about and thinking back on recent conversations and trying to piece together the whole picture.

By and large, I do pretty well and most times, I can ferret out what it is she's been thinking and where the conversation is going. However, every so often, I say "OK, I've tried, but I have no idea what you're talking about, can you fill me in please?".

And then I get the eye roll and the "we talked about this 2 weeks ago Thursday, don't you remember?" and I sigh and nod and make the rolling "can we please just get on with this" motion with my hand.

I mostly don't mind this, but the problem is that she rarely enjoys the moment we're in and the here-and-now and usually has this distracted look on her face because she's not all here. And I'm the opposite. I'm a revel-in-the-moment and enjoy today because you don't know what will happen tomorrow kind of guy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-27-2013),Joseph (12-26-2013),TeamCasey (12-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm 35 years old, no children, and there is a damn chore board in my house. I'll leave it at that.
    39, no kids, same thing as you. There's always a list.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

...keeps asking me why dusty wouldn't bring chapman in to pitch the 6th and/or 7th inning(s) of a tie/close game since he is their best relief pitcher and always strikes people out...

18. Likes:

REDREAD (01-08-2014)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Backseat driving. Enough said.

Something someone did once is something someone does. There are things I've done once in our 12 years of marriage and I will occasionally hear those referred to as things I do instead of something I did once. The flip side is that if you forget something once in 12 years that is something you never do, not something you failed to do one time 8 years ago.

I renovated the basement into a pretty nice home theater/entertainment space. I want this space as non work space, since we run a business out of the home and need a place to be off work occasionally. When I'm done with work for the day and go down there to watch a movie or something, she will sometimes come down with a laptop and a phone and proceed to work, even asking me to turn the volume down or pause the movie so she can use the phone. We have office space in the house to work in. If I'm watching the tv in the office, pausing it to accommodate work makes perfect sense.

Wanting to come down to that room and use the large HDTV to watch the local news. By that time of the day I've gotten all the news and weather info I need from the internet. I didn't buy a $2000 tv to watch local news.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Before I was married, I was convinced that if I could nuke one place in the world it would be St. Louis.

Now, if I get one bomb it's heading directly to wherever the Bravo network is headquartered.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

21. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-28-2013),foxfire123 (12-28-2013),George Anderson (12-27-2013),nmculbreth (01-11-2014),RedTeamGo! (01-09-2014),TeamCasey (12-27-2013),Yachtzee (12-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Before I was married, I was convinced that if I could nuke one place in the world it would be St. Louis.

Now, if I get one bomb it's heading directly to wherever the Bravo network is headquartered.
    We could do a coordinated strike on the Bravo, Soapnet, Investigative Discovery, and Discovery Health
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Is she from upstate New York? Yum!
    Maine. And she hates lobster. Go figure.
    Stick to your guns.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    By and large, I do pretty well and most times, I can ferret out what it is she's been thinking and where the conversation is going. However, every so often, I say "OK, I've tried, but I have no idea what you're talking about, can you fill me in please?".

And then I get the eye roll and the "we talked about this 2 weeks ago Thursday, don't you remember?" and I sigh and nod and make the rolling "can we please just get on with this" motion with my hand.
    I'm an extrovert married to an introvert and have similar issues. It's a documented fact (actually I made it up, but it sounds better to say "it's a documented fact) that some introverts are so introverted they have conversations with themselves in their head and convince themselves that they had them with their spouses.

I'd say about 75% of the things she's positive she told me she's never ever told me. Because I do our family's grocery shopping, I'm constantly buying stuff that's she's convinced she told me to never buy again... the wrong brand of this and that... the wrong flavor of yogurt...
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 12-28-2013 at 12:47 AM.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?