Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds were waiting to see what Choo would do.

Reds were waiting to see what Choo would do.

Now i think you will see something fairly significant. Maybe Kemp or some
    other significant deal and if it involves a pitcher then maybe the Reds will
    resign Arroyo if he is still available.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds were waiting to see what Choo would do.

Quote Originally Posted by bamatank View Post
    Now i think you will see something fairly significant. Maybe Kemp or some
    other significant deal and if it involves a pitcher then maybe the Reds will
    resign Arroyo if he is still available.

The Reds knew Choo was going to get $17mm a season plus.

The Reds payroll will be about $110mm a year this without adding any more players.

The Reds have Bailey (next year) and Latos, Cueto and Leake FA's after 2015.

How can the Reds take on alot of salary and still sign a few of those pitchers?

I used to love Kemp, but his contract length would block Ervin and Winker-- so that's a no-go. Plus he's 1 ankle injury away from being done with baseball. The Reds aren't like NYY, LA, Boston who can gamble on taking a guy like Kemp. If those teams have to eat $15mm a year for 6 years-- they are ok. (No way anyone takes on all $21mm a year on his contract.) The Reds can't afford a $15mm-$20mm a year black hole if he gets hurt.

Not to mention-- Kershaw is a FA next year. LA wants to get Kemp and/or Ethier off their books because they have to offer Kershaw a HUGE contract to get him to resign. None of the other big dog teams, ie teams who can take on alot of payroll would want to help LA out by taking Kemp off their hands. Even LA has limits. They had a $216mm payroll last year. If they have to pay Kershaw $30mm--- other teams wouldn't mind that-- that limits what LA can do in the FA market-- it basically would take them out of contention for signing anyone else next year.

I'm just trying to up my post count to 50 so I can get out of this forum.

Anyway-- I don't see the Reds making a huge FA signing--- making a huge trade to free up some payroll would be nice.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    The Reds knew Choo was going to get $17mm a season plus.

The Reds payroll will be about $110mm a year this without adding any more players.

The Reds have Bailey (next year) and Latos, Cueto and Leake FA's after 2015.

How can the Reds take on alot of salary and still sign a few of those pitchers?

I used to love Kemp, but his contract length would block Ervin and Winker-- so that's a no-go. Plus he's 1 ankle injury away from being done with baseball. The Reds aren't like NYY, LA, Boston who can gamble on taking a guy like Kemp. If those teams have to eat $15mm a year for 6 years-- they are ok. (No way anyone takes on all $21mm a year on his contract.) The Reds can't afford a $15mm-$20mm a year black hole if he gets hurt.
    As far as Kemp goes, I think the shoulder is the question mark, not the ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    How about we go with both? He had ankle surgery this season that ended his year early and your right-- he also needed surgery on his shoulder.

I just remember this quote. "A bigger concern for Kemp now is the microfractured talus bone near his ankle that knocked him out of the postseason and put him on crutches for another three weeks.

Kemp said he was warned by doctors that further damage to the involved bone could be career threatening. Major surgery on the ankle is not anticipated, doctors said, but a minor cleanup procedure is possible."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

Both his shoulder and ankle are definitely concerns.

Stat geek...and proud

I guess I missed that part of it. I thought it was just a ligament issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I think it's both. Micro-fracture surgery on an ankle is pretty dicey and I'd guess Kemp will lose a step or two. His days as a gold glove CF and 40 SB threat are probably over. As far as the shoulder goes, we'll have to see if his power returns. Kemp signed that deal coming off of a gold glove, 40 SB and 39 HR season. All those skills could be significantly reduced by these injuries. I wouldn't want to be committed for 6 years at $10 Million per year, let alone $21 Million. Any deal for Kemp would need to include a ton of cash ($70 Million?) to bring his annual cost down and a Dodger paid insurance policy that would cover the rest in case he is done completely.

2011 Kemp would solve most of this team's problems, but 2013 Kemp would just about sink the ship for the rest of the decade. Too big a gamble for me. Ervin and Winker will be here soon (maybe by opening day 2015). I'd rather have a rental to bridge the gap and with no commitment beyond 2014 or 2015.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Stat geek...and proud

Yeah I want no part of Kemp at his price.

Stat geek...and proud

Heck, if the Dodgers would eat a little salary, I'd take Ethier over Kemp. Wouldn't take nearly as much to pull that one off either.

12. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (12-22-2013),mth123 (12-22-2013)

There is zero chance Kemp gets traded before at LEAST Spring break is over. No team is going to take on that contract on a player who is damaged goods. Not the Reds, not anyone and no chance the Dodgers move him until they know what is value is.

Second, everyone here assumes Walt thinks this team needs major additions, I challenge that idea. I think Walt is looking at this team as pretty set, made some minor bench adjustments, you get Ludwick healthy and put Devin in as your full time catcher and you see what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    There is zero chance Kemp gets traded before at LEAST Spring break is over. No team is going to take on that contract on a player who is damaged goods. Not the Reds, not anyone and no chance the Dodgers move him until they know what is value is.

Second, everyone here assumes Walt thinks this team needs major additions, I challenge that idea. I think Walt is looking at this team as pretty set, made some minor bench adjustments, you get Ludwick healthy and put Devin in as your full time catcher and you see what you have.
    If he stays pat we are in big trouble

Doyers final payroll for 2013 was 248M.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    If he stays pat we are in big trouble
    How is that? This team won with a good ob CF and a bad OB CF, and that is the only real change in this upcoming season. I believe we will get better production from the Catcher position, if Ludwick stays healthy we get way more production from LF then we got last season. I think both Cozart and Frazier can provide equal to or greater production then last season and he has improved the bench. Exactly how is this team worse then last year or the 2012 team?

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    How is that? This team won with a good ob CF and a bad OB CF, and that is the only real change in this upcoming season. I believe we will get better production from the Catcher position, if Ludwick stays healthy we get way more production from LF then we got last season. I think both Cozart and Frazier can provide equal to or greater production then last season and he has improved the bench. Exactly how is this team worse then last year or the 2012 team?
    who is going to make up Choo's production? Ludwick is what he is. A guy that ONCE has been above a .700 OPS. And we do have a great rotation. What happens when ONE starter goes down? We are trying to replace a CF with a CAREER OPS guy over .800 with a guy that cant get to .700 IN THE MINORS. We have a 2B who's OPS has dropped tremendously the last 2 seasons and see no reason to see it go back up. 1B and RF we are set. Every other position isnt. To make an assumption that they will "just get better" is pretty short sighted.

Turn Off Ads?