Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC football discussion thread #3

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    They also envisioned a Georgia team with Aaron Murray. Does Nebraska win if Murray is the starter?
    Nebraska was also missing Taylor Martinez.

Oops, doesn't fit the narrative of SEC talking-heads..
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

jimbo (01-03-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If you're a betting man (and I am), something I saw on another board to consider when wagering on the title game: in the first three BCS games, the heavy favorites all lost, and the three losing coaches were all mentioned as possible successors to Mack Brown at Texas.

FSU is a heavy favorite, and Jimbo's name is certainly in the mix at Texas.

Just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

Taylor Martinez was hurt in preseason. Murray was hurt in November. Significant difference.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

6. Likes:

jojo (01-03-2014)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Taylor Martinez was hurt in preseason. Murray was hurt in November. Significant difference.
    It doesn't change the fact that Martinez wasn't available. I'll argue that Martinez -- who was not only one of the most dynamic offensive players in the conference, but in the Country (when healthy) -- meant more to his team than Murray, which is no easy feat.

Plus, the entire Bo Pellini saga was a distraction, and the Cornhuskers, to their credit, blocked it out and took care of business on the field.

To suggest that Georgia's loss -- and Alabama's, for that matter -- was simply a "fluke" is disingenuous at best.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Riddle me this:

Do SEC fans arms hurt from patting themselves on the backs for being fans of the SEC?

9. Likes:

jimbo (01-03-2014),Revering4Blue (01-03-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Riddle me this:

Do SEC fans arms hurt from patting themselves on the backs for being fans of the SEC?
    Lots of shoulder surgeries in SEC country.

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-04-2014)

It doesn't change the fact that Martinez wasn't available. I'll argue that Martinez -- who was not only one of the most dynamic offensive players in the conference, but in the Country (when healthy) -- meant more to his team than Murray, which is no easy feat.

Plus, the entire Bo Pellini saga was a distraction, and the Cornhuskers, to their credit, blocked it out and took care of business on the field.

To suggest that Georgia's loss -- and Alabama's, for that matter -- was simply a "fluke" is disingenuous at best.
    You're missing the point... It was brought up that UGa had a higher computer rating than Nebraska. UGa achieved almost all of that rating with Murray. Nebraska achieved what they achieved entirely with a backup QB.

No one is arguing Murray would have led UGa to a win. Nebraska clearly outplayed them. But UGa was a significantly different team than the one that was taking the field in early November.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

13. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-04-2014)

I, for one, am a fan of a team in the AAC. Not a whole lot of back-patting for that. Though Big East/AAC teams did manage a 6-3 mark in BCS bowls while my team of choice was a member (no thanks to you, Bearcats!).

Riddle me this:

I'm beginning to look at them like the United Nations. They are not separate entities but rather one big team. It's wasn't Alabama losing to Oklahoma last night, it was SEC. The SEC-Florida St. game should be a good one. Maybe every team should wear the same powder blue helmet with a big SEC logo on them.

Funny thing about College football, the strength of programs regionally grow nationally when they can exploit the local population at peak productivity.

Hence you get the east coast at the turn of the century when it was a young privileged mans game. The Midwest during the 20th century industrial boom, California and the west in post WW2, Texas and Oklahoma during the rise of local energy growth, The SEC during the declining rust belt and rising sun belt population shifts.

Someday it will be the best game in some other place and someone else will be busting buttons off their shirts over their choice of fandom.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-03-2014),Revering4Blue (01-03-2014)

Murray > Martinez. sorry, but it's true.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Funny thing about College football, the strength of programs regionally grow nationally when they can exploit the local population at peak productivity.

Hence you get the east coast at the turn of the century when it was a young privileged mans game. The Midwest during the 20th century industrial boom, California and the west in post WW2, Texas and Oklahoma during the rise of local energy growth, The SEC during the declining rust belt and rising sun belt population shifts.

Someday it will be the best game in some other place and someone else will be busting buttons off their shirts over their choice of fandom.
    With the growth of fracking in the US I would watch out for the 2032 North Dakota St team. They are going to be terrifying.

20. Likes:

jimbo (01-03-2014)

Riddle me this:

Riddle me this.

Do non-SEC fans pat themselves on the back for pretending that SEC fans aren't correct when they point to the dominance of their conference over the last decade?

I'm guessing they do because non-SEC fans sure do a lot of hand waving concerning this issue.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    You're missing the point... It was brought up that UGa had a higher computer rating than Nebraska. UGa achieved almost all of that rating with Murray. Nebraska achieved what they achieved entirely with a backup QB.

No one is arguing Murray would have led UGa to a win. Nebraska clearly outplayed them. But UGa was a significantly different team than the one that was taking the field in early November.
    I'm arguing Georgia would've. Nebraska needed two dropped passes in the last 5 minutes of the game to beat Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I'm beginning to look at them like the United Nations. They are not separate entities but rather one big team. It's wasn't Alabama losing to Oklahoma last night, it was SEC. The SEC-Florida St. game should be a good one. Maybe every team should wear the same powder blue helmet with a big SEC logo on them.
    The only people making last night the SEC losing to Okie is OSU fans. I think that's the BIG tell concerning this false bluster and continuation of the "SEC, SEC, SEC" myth.

That Big Ten fan is in an SEC thread today talking about sour arm muscles kind of just proves the concept.

I get it. You need to argue the SEC really isn't the strongest conference and MSU should be considered a legit national championship team in order to prop up OSU. I didn't need Bama to win last night to somehow color Auburn's season. It's an important distinction. In fact, Bama losing last night just makes this season feel like the gift that keeps giving.

I'm sorry that OSU isn't the best team in a pretty weak conference. But that's kind of how things are.
    Last edited by jojo; 01-03-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Turn Off Ads?