Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone want the 2022 Winter Olympics?

Does anyone want the 2022 Winter Olympics?

Besides Bejing and Almaty, Kazakhstan?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...=pm_sports_pop
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does anyone want the 2022 Winter Olympics?

I guess I could take it. I'm not doing anything that week.

Seriously strange that they are having trouble getting bids on this, but they may have priced themselves out of the market...so to speak.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

4. Likes:

Razor Shines (10-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I guess I could take it. I'm not doing anything that week.

Seriously strange that they are having trouble getting bids on this, but they may have priced themselves out of the market...so to speak.
    I think the IOC is suffering from backlash on two fronts. First, I think the Sochi games left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, whether it was the outrageous amounts of money spent or Vladimir Putin using the games as his own personal propaganda machine. Second, I suspect the blatant and obvious corruption in the awarding of the FIFA World Cups for 2018 and 2022 have tainted the bidding process for all international sporting events. I'm guessing the general public of many of these countries don't support public funds being spent to woo a bunch of corrupt sports "committee members" who end up giving the event to whoever pays the most bribes or turns a blind eye while they embezzle the profits. Look at how hosting the World Cup and the Olympics has impacted Brazil: plenty of new sports facilities, many of which are of little to no use for the general public, who have protested the lavish spending of public funds to the detriment of other programs.

I've heard rumors that FIFA (read: Sepp Blatter) has all but already decided to award the 2026 World Cup to the US to save face for awarding 2022 to Qatar, but Sunil Gulati of the USSF is saying the US won't bid until FIFA reforms the bidding process to be more transparent.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think the IOC is suffering from backlash on two fronts. First, I think the Sochi games left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, whether it was the outrageous amounts of money spent or Vladimir Putin using the games as his own personal propaganda machine. Second, I suspect the blatant and obvious corruption in the awarding of the FIFA World Cups for 2018 and 2022 have tainted the bidding process for all international sporting events. I'm guessing the general public of many of these countries don't support public funds being spent to woo a bunch of corrupt sports "committee members" who end up giving the event to whoever pays the most bribes or turns a blind eye while they embezzle the profits. Look at how hosting the World Cup and the Olympics has impacted Brazil: plenty of new sports facilities, many of which are of little to no use for the general public, who have protested the lavish spending of public funds to the detriment of other programs.
    Maybe. But there doesn't seem to be any problems with the Summer games. I understand why these cities don't want to bid on the Winter Games. All that money on stadiums and arenas and Luge and Bobsled that you only need for 2 weeks.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Maybe. But there doesn't seem to be any problems with the Summer games. I understand why these cities don't want to bid on the Winter Games. All that money on stadiums and arenas and Luge and Bobsled that you only need for 2 weeks.
    This isn't the first time the IOC has had problems with cities hosting the Olympics. The '70s weren't a good time for the IOC. For the Winter Games, Denver was awarded the games for 1976 but had to give them up when voters rejected a funding bill.
    They were then offered to Vancouver/Whistler, who also said no, and finally given to Innsbruck, who had hosted before and had most of the veenues ready to go. Lake Placid got the 1980 games because no one else bid. The Summer Games had the tragic 1972 games in Munich, the money pit 1976 games in Montreal, and the boycotted 1980 games in Moscow. It took the rousingly successful and profitable 1984 games in LA to really encourage cities and countries to bid for the Olympics again.

I don't think we've had a full bidding process for the Summer Games since a lot of the backlash from Sochi, Brazil, and the bad press from the FIFA bids came to light. So we'll see how it goes. It may also depend on how the games in Rio come off. Personally I like an idea I heard where potential hosts for the Winter Games have to be pre-qualified before being permitted to submit a bid, meaning they have to meet certain criteria such as having existing infrastructure, appropriate weather, and access to ski areas of sufficient quality. It would streamline the process and discourage the wasteful spending of Sochi. The other idea I've heard is that the IOC designates a number of cities in Europe, North America, and Japan as permanent hosts and just rotates between those cities.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The other idea I've heard is that the IOC designates a number of cities in Europe, North America, and Japan as permanent hosts and just rotates between those cities.
    That sounds like a fabulous idea but probably won't happen since the IOC members won't be able to feather their nests like that.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

So only corrupt governments want to fund a corrupt group?

Some of the IOC demands.

Cars and drivers for IOC members, with special dedicated highway lanes
    Street lights synchronized to prioritize IOC traffic
    Separate airport entrance for IOC members
    Hotel mini-bars must have only Coca-Cola products
    Samsung phones for all IOC members
    All meeting rooms must be kept at exactly 68 degrees.
    All furniture must have "Olympic appearance."
    "IOC members will be received with a smile on arrival at hotel"

Classy.
    Go Gators!

10. Likes:

Razor Shines (10-14-2014)

Permanent host cities makes a great deal of sense, to me.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

Some of the IOC demands.

Classy.
    Are those for real? If so, that's hysterical. Those are "only dictatorships need apply" rules.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

Some of the IOC demands.

Classy.
    Also, IOC members will receive green M&Ms only.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Are those for real? If so, that's hysterical. Those are "only dictatorships need apply" rules.
    Yep.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...uirements.html
    Go Gators!

The Olympics just aren't the big deal they used to be anymore. The popularity of the Olympic sports have been bypassed by a whole bunch of other sports in the world today. Most Olympic events just don't interest people in the 21st century. It is not worth spending billions of dollars to host a sporting event that has lost most of its appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The Olympics just aren't the big deal they used to be anymore. The popularity of the Olympic sports have been bypassed by a whole bunch of other sports in the world today. Most Olympic events just don't interest people in the 21st century. It is not worth spending billions of dollars to host a sporting event that has lost most of its appeal.
    It's one of the two most watched sporting events on the planet. If you've ever been in other countries during an Olympic the coverage is wall-to-wall. American pro sports fans may not get into it as much (if only there were Olympic fantasy leagues), but the problem the Olympic are having isn't lack of interest from a worldwide audience. It's from potential host nations not wanting to bear the expense of putting on the games.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's one of the two most watched sporting events on the planet. If you've ever been in other countries during an Olympic the coverage is wall-to-wall. American pro sports fans may not get into it as much (if only there were Olympic fantasy leagues), but the problem the Olympic are having isn't lack of interest from a worldwide audience. It's from potential host nations not wanting to bear the expense of putting on the games.
    It is a passive worldwide audience nowadays. It used to be that the host country came close to offsetting the cost of putting on the games by selling tickets, hotel rooms, car rentals, tourism and souvenirs etc., but now the Olympics are just a giant, sucking money pit. The cost has far outpaced the return on investment. The only way it makes any sense at all is if the host country has a big chunk of the infrastructure and stadiums already in place. Building it all just for the Olympics is foolish if all you get is two weeks of television coverage. People in prosperous countries with big-time sports leagues don't care that much about the Olympics anymore, certainly not as much as they used to, and they are the ones who used to spend a ton of money to attend the Olympics. There are better things to spend your sports budget on nowadays. I expect the decline of the Olympics to continue if not accelerate.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    It is a passive worldwide audience nowadays.
    With all due respect, no it's not. Worldwide, the Olympics are a massive deal. When small nations have a good athlete, they stop to watch that person compete. When an athlete from other countries has a big Olympics, that person is an instant celebrity and is generally made for life. One of the biggest news stories of this century has been the arrest and trial of Oscar Pistorius, Olympic athlete. Relatively modest deal here, huge news elsewhere.

The U.S. is a backwater when it comes to international sports viewing. We're largely off the map. Outside of Lebron and the fumes of Kobe Bryant, our pro sports heroes aren't really big news outside our borders. Nations that are big into soccer do follow the Olympics with significant interest. Pro tennis players put a massive amount of stock in getting an Olympic gold medal. It really is another world out there.

So I would not conflate worldwide interest in the games with the potential misery of hosting them. The live event revenue, even when attendance is maxed out, can't come close to paying for the facilities. It's especially tough for the winter games. They're really going to have to start recycling sites or getting far more lenient about what qualifies as Olympic facilities. For instance, New York, Boston and Montreal have most of what you need to host an Olympics. You've got to travel three hours for good mountains outside of NY and Boston, but that's not a terribly great distance when you've got a quality highway system. Those cities aren't going to build multiple new arenas, but they have the venues that should accommodate the games. The hotels, the transit systems, the restaurants, the tourist attractions. All of that stuff is in place. Building an Olympic village that could be turned into housing would be the biggest trick.

I think what we're seeing is a healthy pushback against a corrupt process and overly grasping IOC officials. Hopefully what we get is a change at the top which focuses on making the Olympics a more attractive and manageable proposition for the host nation.

19. Likes:

IslandRed (10-06-2014)

Turn Off Ads?