Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1005

Thread: SEC football discussion thread #3

  1. #16
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It was a very big win for MSU. Second B10 win in the Rose in over a decade.Yes, I watched the Stanford win over Oregon and they were the better team that night. There was nothing flukish about it. I do wish I could see MSU play a team like Oregon but that's the system. MSU beat the champion of a very good conference. Hope that means OSU will have some competition in the conference in the coming years cause I sure don't see anyone else on their level
    The ironic thing about the Rose Bowl is that in the BCS era OSU has been the predominant B1G team but have played in 1, beating Oregon. Their previous trip was against ASU during the Cooper era.

    I don't buy into the touting of Bowl records. It is a nice measuring stick, but for many teams, the game just doesn't mean that much. For instance, a disappointed Alabama team lost to Utah in a BCS bowl. For teams that aren't in the title game, the extra weeks of practice and coaches bonuses are whats most important. I would argue that besides for the BCS title game, the only bowl that has held its mystique is the Rose Bowl.
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 01-02-2014 at 01:14 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,624

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The ironic thing about the Rose Bowl is that in the BCS era OSU has been the predominant B1G team but have played in 1, beating Oregon. Their previous trip was against ASU during the Cooper era.

    I don't buy into the touting of Bowl records. It is a nice measuring stick, but for many teams, the game just doesn't mean that much. For instance, a disappointed Alabama team lost to Utah in a BCS bowl. For teams that aren't in the title game, the extra weeks of practice and coaches bonuses are whats most important. I would argue that besides for the BCS title game, the only bowl that has held its mystique is the Rose Bowl.
    There's a lot of validity to that. In many cases we saw teams playing w/o key players and coaches. In fact I had that post ready if the SEC laid an egg yesterday...

  4. Likes:

    jimbo (01-02-2014)

  5. #18
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,118

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    What is the obsession SEC fans have with the Big 10? Seriously, they talk more about conference than they do their so-called favorite teams? As an Ohio State fan, the only other Big 10 team I really rooted for was Michigan St. because I really like Dantonio. I watched Nebraska and Wisconsin yesterday, but only because I thought they would be good games and they were.

    Is it like this with fans of all SEC teams, or is it just a Redszone thing?
    Truthfully, it's in your head.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  6. #19
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,118

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    By my count, the Big Ten is 2-4 in bowl games this season with no chance of not finishing below .500.

    The ACC has been less impressive IMHO.

    Adding Maryland and Rutgers is just going to dilute the Big Ten even more in the short term.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #20
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,118

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by The Auburn Creed;

    I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

    I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

    I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

    I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

    I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

    I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

    I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

    And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  8. #21
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,545

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The only thing to be said about Maryland and Rutgers is that the B10 clearly isn't helping its rep as a weak football conference by their addition.
    Yes but we know they aren't being added to the conference for their football prowess.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #22
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,624

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yes but we know they aren't being added to the conference for their football prowess.
    Then that's a difference between the SEC and B10. Missouri and Tex AM were added in part with football in mind

  10. #23
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,766

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Then that's a difference between the SEC and B10. Missouri and Tex AM were added in part with football in mind
    Pretty obvious football trumps all in the SEC. Probably the reason Alabama (#3) and Auburn (#4) rank in the top-5 college programs for the most NCAA seasons on probation. That is when THEY GET CAUGHT (right, Cam?). As a matter of fact 6 SEC teams rank in the top-20 for total seasons on probation.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  11. Likes:

    jimbo (01-02-2014)

  12. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Pretty obvious football trumps all in the SEC. Probably the reason Alabama (#3) and Auburn (#4) rank in the top-5 college programs for the most NCAA seasons on probation. That is when THEY GET CAUGHT (right, Cam?). As a matter of fact 6 SEC teams rank in the top-20 for total seasons on probation.
    I see the rest of this conversation going really well.

  13. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (01-02-2014)

  14. #25
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Pretty obvious football trumps all in the SEC. Probably the reason Alabama (#3) and Auburn (#4) rank in the top-5 college programs for the most NCAA seasons on probation. That is when THEY GET CAUGHT (right, Cam?). As a matter of fact 6 SEC teams rank in the top-20 for total seasons on probation.
    And yet 3 Big 10 teams are in the top 7... So...
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  15. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (01-02-2014), jojo (01-02-2014)

  16. #26
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,118

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Pretty obvious football trumps all in the SEC. Probably the reason Alabama (#3) and Auburn (#4) rank in the top-5 college programs for the most NCAA seasons on probation. That is when THEY GET CAUGHT (right, Cam?). As a matter of fact 6 SEC teams rank in the top-20 for total seasons on probation.
    When was the last time Auburn's football program was on probation?

    At some point you need to actually discuss facts.

    After you answer the question, here's a few to add to you new list of facts:

    Ohio State is ranked 5th all time in the number of wins they've had to vacate for rules violations. Auburn has never had a game vacated.

    The Big 10 is responsible for 64% of all games that have been vacated.

    Oh and here's an interesting one....OSU is currently on probation.
    Last edited by jojo; 01-02-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  17. #27
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,766

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I see the rest of this conversation going really well.
    As they say, "The truth hurts."
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  18. Likes:

    jimbo (01-02-2014)

  19. #28
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    As they say, "The truth hurts."
    SEC programs on probation for 2013: 2 (SC and Tennessee)

    Big 10 programs on probation for 2013: 3 (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State)
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  20. #29
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,118

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And yet 3 Big 10 teams are in the top 7... So...
    And OSU once again proves it's a top twenty program....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  21. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    When was the last time Auburn's football program was on probation?

    At some point you need to actually discuss facts.

    After you answer the question, here's a few to add to you new list of facts:

    Ohio State is ranked 5th all time in the number of wins they've had to vacate for rules violations. Auburn has never had a game vacated.

    The Big 10 is responsible for 64% of all games that have been vacated.

    Oh and here's an interesting one....OSU is currently on probation.
    Not to say your point doesn't have merit, but what does those stats look like if you remove the 112 vacated games the NCAA hit Penn St with? That seems like a little different circumstance to your run of the mill "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'" sanctions.

  22. Likes:

    RedFanAlways1966 (01-02-2014), Roy Tucker (01-02-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25